RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Photo ID

Author Topic: Photo ID
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took Acela (12/2), Boston to New York and we were asked to show photo ID. Then took Keystone Service on 1/3 and Acela Regional on 1/5 (New York-Philadelphia and return)and were never asked to show photo ID. Has anyone else found the inconsistency with this? I hope we were the exception rather than the norm for security's sake.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very inconsistent--

"Post 911" trips--

Offered ID Feb 02 for boarding #30 at CHI, conductor really did not wish to be bothered.

#143 Stamford Nov 02, what's that - stow it pal!

#2252 Phila Nov 02, scrupulously checked at 30th St before allowed to the track level.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, that's very inconsistent, and I don't think that's what Amtrak intends. However, it may work quite well...it is sort of random that way....catch people off-guard.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a foreigner to the US (I'm a Brit), the ONLY time I was wasked for ID was when collecting my rail pass from the station. That's twice since 9/11 and I've been on 10 long distance trains during that time.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get asked for ID when picking up my tickets at the station, but haven't had to show it when boarding the train.
I think the focus of "ID-ing" is mostly on the NEC, because it sees the most passengers, and is linked to several major cities.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When buying or picking up tickets at the station, I've been asked for a photo idea every time, but never on board. I've had tickets dispensed at a ticket machine which prints on the ticket that photo id is required, but haven't been asked for it. I think it is a moot point anyway. A fake id is is easily obtainable by anyone who wants one.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only conclude that "security" on Amtrak is just in name only. When I buy Amtrak tickets here in Canada, I am never asked for ID. As for boarding the trains, I have never once been asked for ID either before boarding or on the trains. Even in New York, a city you would think should be on a security alert, I was not asked for ID either in the Acela Lounge in Penn station or prior to going down to track level. When travelling on a North American Rail pass, the tickets are clearly endorsed "must show the Pass and photo ID." Only once did an Amtrak employee demand to see the pass, but no one has ever asked for ID. I have boarded Amtrak trains in major cities, e.g. New York, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, Seattle as well as small towns such as Barstow, Flagstaff, etc. and no one anywhere in my experience seems to care about "security."
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by royaltrain:
I can only conclude that "security" on Amtrak is just in name only. ."

Your point being? What type of "security" should Amtrak have? As I said before, an ID doesn't mean anything. I have seen INS agents board and check for proper documentation from passengers who fit a particular profile, if that makes you feel better.

Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Not only is it easy as sin to get a fake ID, but also, is it going to be ON the train that we need to focus our efforts? No. At least, I don't think so. A train is not like an airplane....you don't crash it into the World Trade Center. But what people need to worry about is someone sabotage the train by messing up the rails.

[This message has been edited by tubaallen (edited 01-14-2003).]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My point regarding "security" is that there is none, so why bother with all this photo ID business?
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by royaltrain:
My point regarding "security" is that there is none, so why bother with all this photo ID business?

to which I agree. Tubaallan has a good point as well, although I wonder if a train with 250 passengers on board is a target worthy of sabatoge, but there are some strange folks out there.

tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
....Right, and I don't know that it would be sabotaged....just think it's likelier than actually having an attack on-board the train.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page