RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Paramount/Bellflower Line (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Paramount/Bellflower Line
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to think that when they finally close the Paramount Branch, they would likely go to Mon-Wed-Fri operation of the HB local since it looks like they only have 3 or 4 customers on the entire line. The train I saw (minus the oil cans) had only about 6 cars total, and only switched cars in two different areas.

[This message has been edited by atsf3751 (edited 03-27-2003).]

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite a reversal from when they actually ran to H.B. more than once a day under S.P.'s "Save-a-Branch" program. Guess those partial to the Stanton cluster need be grateful for any activity at all: the Garden Grove Industrial Zone and a trickle of Navy munitions traffic between Westminster and Seal Beach.
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's all folks. Todays Huntington Beach Local ran with a large paper banner on the long hood of east facing GP38-3 2417, "PARAMOUNT, LAST RUN". I just observed GP38-3 2417 and GP15-1 1693 (the usual Costa Mesa/Marlboro power) sitting at Anaheim. Hope someone out there recorded the last run cause I sure didn't. I was hoping for one more week of operation on this branch. I wish I had paid more attention to this operation.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were not any familier black tank cars on either siding at Anaheim today. I guess that means Friday's run was the last train down the Paramount Branch. Anyone out there get pictures of the last run?
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bri, did you happen to note car consist on "last run"?
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is going to be the fate of the line? Is it slated to be torn up or will it be used for car storage or something like that?
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
According to staff contacts, U.P. will abandon it or merely withdraw it from service, but leave track in place for owners OCTA and LATC to dispose of as they desire. Formal application to STB not yet filed.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
I observed the cut of cars that the HB local brought back to Anaheim this evening and it had about 10 black tank cars in the consist. I'm wondering if the HB local made another run down the Paramount Branch.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
I toured parts of the Paramount line yesterday. It would not appear that any train has been on that line in recent days. There are obviously black tanks that make it down the Huntington Beach branch also. Oh well, was hoping that the Paramount branch was still being used.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I saw an outbound train coming down the HB branch in Anaheim around 9AM this morning. Has the HB local changed its operating pattern?
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
It seems the HB local goes on duty at 0800 vs 1200 noon, the Costa Mesa at 0500 rather than 0700 and the Marlboro still at 1300.
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone seen a train cross Rosecrans on the UP's bebuilt line to the refinery at Paramount. would sure like to known what happen at that crossing. There is not another one like it that I have seen.

[This message has been edited by Myford Browning (edited 04-15-2003).]

Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
It looks like they might be in the process of severing the Paramount branch at Stanton Junction. I observed a power shovel and backhoe sitting by the tracks at that location today, and what looked like some ties and other discarded material piled up next to them.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Whew, I was a little worried there for a minute...it turns out there is a public works project right along the Paramount branch r-o-w that is installing pipe. The tracks are still intact for the time being.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
The Paramount Branch has been SEVERED near Stanton Junction. The pipe-laying project that I described as being along the tracks has now crossed over to the other side, but instead of digging under the tracks, they dug everything up, and now there is a pile of dirt, ballast, and a big hole where the tracks once were. I guess the Paramount Branch is officially no more.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Well, I'm glad you cleared that up, I had relied on your previous post to refute an observation like your first one here on another board. So is the switch spiked for the straight rail and "No Right Turn" sign posted?

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Slightly contridictory report supplied to me by local observer: "Rails not cut, sewer pipes stacked up on rr r/w, and a dirt path across the
rail(backfill?), but the rails are intact from Beach Blvd. 1000 feet toward Paramount.

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Yes, I passed by there today and confirm. There is equipment all over the place, ditches on both sides of the tracks, and pipe and a mound of dirt over the rails, but it looks like everything is more or less intact.

On a side note, while it's probably not likely to happen, it would be nice to see that line transformed into a transit corridor and go back to its PE roots.

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
"On a side note, while it's probably not likely to happen, it would be nice to see that line transformed into a transit corridor and go back to its PE roots."
The line is actually owned by the transit authorities of Orange and L.A. Counties, acquired for the very purpose you suggest, but so much opposition was raised by on-line communities several years ago that the plan was dropped.

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by MPALMER:
In the Feb. 10 edition of the Press-Telegram, there is an article about Bellflower's redevelopment. The segment of old PE track through there is scheduled to be removed in March, to be replaced by a 2.5-mile bike path/walkway.

Did Bellflower actually remove the track there yet? Since U.P. hasn't formally abandoned, I wonder how aggressive the city has been

Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone seen a UP train use the new connection to the refinery.
Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Jansson
Member # 1388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Jansson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, I crossed over the line today in at Woodruff Ave. in Bellflower today and saw that rail has been removed for about 100 yds. in each direction.

Posts: 26 | From: La Mirada, CA USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-al's observations in the twilight at the Stanton wye.

1. The switch for the Paramount branch is gone. I'd like to confirm in the daylight, but there is a substantial gap of 12 -15 feet.

2. Overheard talk saying that the refinery is now serviced out of Mead, (sorry, no operating times). They also mentioned a lumber yard in the same area, but I think they may be mistaken on that, I don't recall seeing lumber heading out towards Paramount. Did there used to be a lumber yard in Paramount ??

3. M-O-W equipment is on the Los Alimotos line, including an Espee caboose. They are along side the driving range, if you know where that is. A long string of ballast hoppers are now on west leg of the wye, cut at the first crossing, Western, I think.

4. It still doesn't make sense that the HB branch was upgraded with the CWR. Is someone familar enough with the HB line to list the industries served ?? Maybe the UP didn't have a choice ??

Lumber yard in HB (Terry Lumber or Reliable ??)

Southern Calif. Edison

The re-cycling yard just south of the wye.

Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Jansson
Member # 1388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Jansson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe all your observations are correct!
Posts: 26 | From: La Mirada, CA USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
On my Bday, Das-Al posted:
"2. Overheard talk saying that the refinery is now serviced out of Mead, (sorry, no operating times). They also mentioned a lumber yard in the same area, but I think they may be mistaken on that, I don't recall seeing lumber heading out towards Paramount. Did there used to be a lumber yard in Paramount ??
Lumber movements were mentioned on Brian's 3/14 post on page one of this thread, and mine of 3/27 above describing movements covered by commercial video. Maybe team track is being re installed?

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
The connection to the Paramount Branch is indeed gone. It looks like they took it out sometime this weekend. So ends the old former P.E. line. Interestingly, they kept the switch in place for the spur that was once the old P.E. connection to Santa Ana. There is currently a large amount of MOW equipment parked on it.

As for the customers on the HB branch, most of them are in the Garden Grove industrial complex. There are several industries that receive chemicals and at least two that recieve rolls of paper or lumber.

Then there is the lumber yard in Huntington Beach, SCE, the Naval weapons station (although I haven't heard of them servicing that facility any time recently) and the recycling center. Most of the locals that I've seen don't exceed 10 cars.

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I did some nosin' around the HB line on the way home yesterday. There are several industries served on a spur the heads west between Lampson and Chapman. Several (4 to6) blue tank cars were observed in this area, along with three Simplot box cars. Two of the blue tank cars were being pulled out by the local crew, they were labeled as "Ethelene Glycol" which is a major component for automotive coolant products. I couldn't determine which industry the cars were for though.

I imagine the crew would be a good source of info, eh ??

They had a string of close to 20 empties as they headed towards the wye... I was surprised that there would be that many. Three were brand new NS box cars. Many empty lumber spines.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Paramount depot pic on Art Fisher's Web Page: http://sptco.railspot.com/California/Paramount_CA%20TFassett01.jpg
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

One year ago this month, I caught the Paramount Local returning to the Anaheim yard office with a string of tanks in tow.

Check out the image at the link below:
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5705

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Long hood first, no less. Good memory--your great "Al".
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went out on Saturday (7-12) to follow this line. Southeast of Woodruff the tracks are still in place except for at many of the grade crossings, where they have been cut around the sidewalk area both sides of the streets. Grade crossing signals are still in place at xings southeast of Woodruff.

Salvage crew was at Stanton, using a large magnet to sort through the scraps in an old SP gondola.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
When OCTA recently adopted an abbreviated Centerline route between SARTC and the County airport for its first light rail line, it dismissed an alternative along the P.E. diagonal from SARTC to Cypress College that would have cost the same to build and less to operate, but would have carried fewer daily riders, according to planning documents distributed at the meeting where the decision was made. Nonetheless, the route remains in the agency's Power of Ten priorities and long range plan and is the subject of a Project Definition Study nearing completion by the West Orange County Cities Association.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 07-29-2003).]

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
another photo from al. http://www.yayax.com/gateway/stanton-junction-9224-c75.jpg

this image shows all sorts of goodies...

** the severed connection to Paramount on the right.

** three local hoodlums straight ahead.

** the abandoned connection to the old PE branch on the left. I recall seeing m-o-w on this leg which is still active for several hundred feet, if I am not mistaken.

** dead ahead would be the Los Alamitos line, which is still intact for a grade crossing or two. Last time I was there, there was a gondola back at the end of the line.

** behind the photographer (several miles) is the West Anaheim yard and wye.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Hopfully the 'hoods' weren't stalking the photographer. Tnx for documentation, A.A.

BTW, has anyone similarly documented, or even witnessed, use of the new Paramount junction to service the refinery at the upper end of this decommissioned branch?

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 08-27-2003).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page