RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Mgmt. Threw My Stickers Away (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Amtrak Mgmt. Threw My Stickers Away
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patrick, remember the words of Reinhold Niebuhr:

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference

Amtrak is a Federal agency that must answer to two bosses, namely the President and The Congress, often these two bosses will wish to formulate different policies for the agency. Any other agency (there are exceptions, but darned if I can think of any) has one boss and that for the next 175 days is President Bush.

At least in your Social Service agency, presuming it is private, you have one boss - your Board of Directors. The Executive Director serves at their pleasure, and if he or she does not run your agency to the Board's specifications, your ED will not be such for too long.

Mr. Kummant is sort of Amtrak's ED, but instead of listening to the President (or designate) in how to formulate policy, he must also listen to the 535 Members of Congress, who despite there being a Speaker and a Vice-President simply do not speak as one.

Quite simply 60 Mass (and predecessor HQ's @ 400N Csp and Elephant Plaza) cannot be anything other than a snake pit; I've known my share of folk who over the years would be inclined to agree.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back to the discussion on Amtrak discouraging employee initiative, I agree with some of the reasons stated as to why Amtrak frowns on employees deviating from the manual.

I would be happy if all the employees would at least follow the manual, such as it is. That would certainly help improve the inconsistent service we often receive.

Perhaps the real issue is that 'the manual' needs to be redone to better reflect the realities of Amtrak operations and passenger needs. The old Pullman company had extensive written procedures as well as the staff to insure they were understood and followed. That might be a place for Amtrak to start.

The example of a flower in a car to help us seniors know where we are, reminds me of the simple solution Pullman had. Very near the handle you pushed to open the doors was a name plate with the car's name. Very simple and it worked. I am reminded of that each time I go into our model railroad room and see 'Barren River' on the door, courtesy of the L&N railroad and a local scrapyard.

I certainly admire NativeSon actually doing something to make his desire for the Sunset restoration a reality. It seems railfans often just wring their hands and write emails to each other. Good for him.

But, perhaps that energy would be better spent getting local support for the corridor type trains on at least a portion of the route, if not all of it. Given the realities of Amtrak funding, a daylight train from New Orleans to Mobile or Pensacola might be a good start.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't the Superliner II sleepers have names that are boldly emblazoned on the vestibule doors? I thought that was an excellent idea.

Consist car numbers are also an excellent idea but I don't believe I've ever seen them on the doors, only on the sides, and not always up to date either.

It does seem a no-brainer to tape a consist number to a vestibule door so that we geezers can find our cars more easily.

For what it's worth (which isn't much, admittedly), the origins of the Serenity Prayer usually attributed to Niebuhr recently came under debate. If you're interested, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil mentions the congress not speaking as one.Acccording to Theodore Roosevelt (him again!!) Congress should remeber that the people are their masters not their servants.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Superliner II's have state names on the interior doors, but not the Superliner I doors.

<<<Consist car numbers are also an excellent idea but I don't believe I've ever seen them on the doors, only on the sides, and not always up to date either.>>>

That's definitely a problem. On the Superliner II sleepers, it's as simple as pushing a button on a digital display and it will automatically change the digital numbers upstairs at both ends of the car near the door. But sometimes it's hard to get the attendants to push the darn button---too difficult I suppose. But in the Superliner I cars, it's all manual. The exterior numbers on the lower level are behind a little hatch inside the restroom stalls. The upstairs number have to be turned manually. These numbers are almost always wrong. I've been on many Coast Starlight sleepers where the number says "0330", which means it previously came off the Southwest Chief and nobody bothered to change the number.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for lawsuits, the corporation might consider positive results of their actions, not just the risk of getting sued. If allowing something is in the end thought beneficial to the company, despite a small potential for liability, wouldn't it be wise to consider that also. If the flowers the attendants put up are part of the excellent service the railroad offers, what is going to matter more -- their reputation as a great railroad, or the fear of someone trying to sue? It's not the lawyers that society is up against. It's the ignorance of people who mistakenly think that their complaints are valid.

---------------------------------------
Long live the Amtrak Sunset Limited!

Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has to answer to the president and act at the mercy of Congress. The very nature of public services is that they serve at the pleasure of SOME legislative or executive body. That is NO reason for such department heads NOT to fight for the well being of their own departments/agencies. Amtrak just lays down and takes it. That's all I'm saying. If it seems that I'm suggesting debate and even an adversarial relationship between Amtrak and D.C, maybe I am. The amicable approach has gotten the Amtrak nowhere. There have been way too many concessions with little more than a squeek from Amtrak's end. Why should all the sound and criticism come from the Prez and legislature? Amtrak needs to start making some noise of its own.

I have seen at the state and local level how this has worked. Legislators neglect a department or agency. Agency heads put up a fight. Concessions are made or it goes to a ballot and the CONSUMERS (voters) decide. Why would this not work for Amtrak?

Back to the point. As long as Amtrak is run by people who, frankly, don't care about it, expect customer service to be stuck on mediocrity.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtraxmaniac, perhaps the people who run Amtrak truly do care about it but are frustrated and hamstrung by politics of all kinds. That was the sense I got when researching my book "Zephyr" in the 1990s and speaking with Amtrak crew and executives alike.

Perhaps, also, it's counterproductive to attack motivations rather than focus on actions. The results of actions are visible, but it's really impossible to tell what's going on in the minds of those executing the actions.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their actions speak volumns about their priorities. Their priority seems to be to pander to Amtrak's critics in a weak attempt to win them over. Churchill pandered to Hitler and for what? For Hitler to torch the rest of Europe. The same way that Amtrak's critics have torched Amtrak's potential. Maybe, I'm off base, but that's how I feel.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Churchill pandered to Hitler? Surely you are thinking of Neville ("Peace in our time") Chamberlain?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page