RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railforum Election (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Railforum Election
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This forum has always been able to "agree to disagree" in such a respectful manner, intervention was never necessary.

I don't like, what appear to be, the personal attacks on some member's political views, so, I have decided to hold our own "forum election."

Hopefully this will put to rest a subject that seems to have taken over our "rail" forum.

Rules are simple:

-Ballots will be accepted by "Private message" to the moderator.

-Only the two major party candidates will be on the ballot. Obama - Romney.

-One vote per member (I will be watching carefully)

-Voting will be limited to standing registrants as of Sept. 12, 2012

-Early voting opens Sept. 13th and closes on Sept. 25th.

-Polls will be open on Wed. Sept. 26th and close on Thursday, Oct. 25th.

-Results will be posted after the polls close.

Posts: 138 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea. Will be interesting to see the outcome.
Posts: 2693 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bless you, Moderator.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is in!
Posts: 2154 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also think it's a great idea. But I'd also like to tip my hat to the moderator for allowing us to stray from strictly Amtrak. It allow us to be more of a family. (I'm not expressing it well, but it's a bonding experience).

Bless you!

Posts: 506 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! I'm very curious as to what the outcome will be. And then after the November election, compare our numbers to America.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a senile citizen in Florida, but I waded through the "hanging chads" and voted early. Hope Mr. Moderator will hold my ballot until 9/26, or else I'll have to vote again (another Florida tradition - voting 2 different times in 2 states!).

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1496 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the Chicago tradition . . . voting early and often?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the paper ballot days, it was not unheard of in my home county for ballot boxes to be 'cast' into the French Broad River.

They would turn up uncounted weeks later downstream somewhere in Tennessee.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I neglected to include "early voting"

A member has PM'd to say he would be away for all but the last day of the vote and was afraid the polls would be closed before he had a chance to vote.
I guess I'm not the only one without a laptop

Situation corrected, my mistake.

Posts: 138 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Polls are now open.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TODAY THE POLLS ARE OPEN!!!! Here we go....

[Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Hey, we posted the same thing at the same time. Great minds!!!
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I voted and included my estimate of the electoral votes he will receive.

(Currently enjoying a wonderful vacation in the Great Smoky Mountains, this week)

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

(Currently enjoying a wonderful vacation in the Great Smoky Mountains, this week)

Must be beautiful up there right now up there; are the colors in yet?

P.S. Assuming your "he" is Mr. Romney, can I have the "under" on that electoral total?

Posts: 1496 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After all these years, I finally try to send a private message and I don't know how! I clicked on your homepage and got sent back to the forum home page!
Please help me out here!

Posts: 471 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Jerome--

Scroll up to the top of this page, and look at the original post made by "Moderator". If you click on the bold/black name of "Moderator", it will take you to Moderator's page. Once there, just click on the upper-right portion of the page where it says,
"Send New Private Message".

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

Must be beautiful up there right now up there; are the colors in yet?

P.S. Assuming your "he" is Mr. Romney, can I have the "under" on that electoral total?

The Smokies are changing DAILY. There is more color in each vista we have visited each day. We got some great shots of a mama black bear and her two cubs yesterday. We are going back today to get more shots, then we go home tomorrow. At the risk of scaring you with my facebook page, I do have a few pictures on it:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1071296749

And my electoral total is the same one I posted in the Poofed thread, so you can safely choose the same as you did in that thread. My opinion has not changed.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Jerome

Smitty's explanation is one way to send a private message, or, you can simply click on the little icon depicting an envelope with two little people at the top of this post, to the right of the (in red print) date and time of this post.

I wasn't thinking when I sent you a PM earlier this morning..... [Roll Eyes]

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good time of year to be in the Smokies...... I wish it were not such a busy time for me.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Marriott Key Center Cleveland (in the middle of a swing state)--

If this message has too many political overtones, I implore Ms. Moderatrix to kill it.

Not only does this thought relate to our election here, but also and more importantly to the real deal five weeks away.

There are still three debates to go in which the two major party's candidates will be presented to be "cross examined" by one another. We have not had that so far in this election cycle, for "stumps" and the "infomericals" the Conventions have come to represent, are by nature one sided (hey, our $$$$ our message). With those debates, any voter who WANTS to decide (and let's be honest, there are a lot of voters who simply vote by rote), will have his/her chance to do so. That is why I can say I'm "undecided", and independent - my all time presidential voting record of 6R 5D and 1I should bear that out. The "I" will never happen again; my vote is all I got and it is too precious to throw away on some kind of lost cause.

So to close on what I hope have proven to be non-partisan thoughts on this subject, I'm reminded how two Sundays ago, I was flying KRIC-KORD and was seated with this guy from Dayron (yup so much for point to point service on airlines; KRIC-KORD-KDAY is a bit "curcuituous"). He thinks it real sport to write in the likes of "Mickey Mouse" and "Daffy Duck" and wish there was a "none of the above" option on a ballott. I said to him "my friend, you are from a swing state and your very vote could decide the election; I think anyone voting in a swing state (unlike myself and Mr. Kisor, where our votes are merely symbolic) has a duty to "bone up" on the issues and decide which major party candidate is best qualified to hold the office."

We parted ways at O'Hare with a handshake and I like to think friends.

Vote; here and at the real deal.

Posts: 9393 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
This period of our history will be looked upon with great confusion. How did we put a Barack Obama in the White House? No qualifications---none. A shady past, that is locked tight and sealed by lawyers. Of the past that we do know about it, it is ALL 100% anti-American. Anyone who openly claims that they want to "fundamentally transform" America is saying to you, "I hate the Constitution, and I loathe the founding of this country". Yet people still vote for the guy? I don't get it---I honestly don't. I've tried six ways from Sunday to attempt to understand how a seemingly intelligent and educated individual can put their support behind the Marxist in the White House, and I can't understand it. If you pay attention to Obama's ads on radio and TV, have any of you supporters out there noticed that there is one glaring thing missing from all of them? The past four years!! He does not talk about the last four years---just more lies and platitudes about how he needs "more time" (even though he said it would be fixed in three years, or he should be voted out). He has lied about everything he said he would do. Okay, not "everything"--I have to remember there are nitpickers who will remind me that he promised to install a swing set in the yard of the White House, and he did accomplish that.

Honestly, I don't get it. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face---it makes no sense. I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone watching a bunch of drones support a guy who has done NOTHING to cause support.

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a lot i can say to rebut the previous post, but all i will say is: "sigh".
Posts: 405 | From: Washington DC, originally from Montana | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaJim:
i have a lot i can say to rebut the previous post, but all i will say is: "sigh".

Please have at it. Unfortunately for a lot that consider Obama's qualifications questionable it seems about all that comes back in rebuttal is very similar to what you just said, "How could you possibly feel that way? I can rebut you but I won't bother."
Posts: 2693 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Exactly. The big "sigh" is the country saying, "No more!".
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Probably should start a separate political thread for this...
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
How about a political forum, there are plenty out there.

No need to remind you that this is a Rail forum where members share their rail experiences, questions, rants, travelogues, breaking news and horror stories.

I truly believe our members are already well informed individuals who will decide for themselves this coming November.

Our Railforum isn't the place to try and win converts.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have often wondered if the Rail Forum would benefit from an "open topic" section to the forum. In other words, threads which do not pertain to Amtrak, trains, or railroads. Maybe it could be called "The Lounge Car". A place for politics, jokes, any topics of general interest.

On second thought, maybe this would not be necessary. As our discussions tend, often, to go off the beaten path (I enjoy strays) anyway, off-topic comments seem to be permissible. Also, seperate "cracker barrel" categories seem to work best with larger forums with many members. So, keep things as they are?

Richard

Posts: 1792 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
This subject has been brought up before on the forum, and I always passed on the suggestion, but it was felt that an "open topic" might get out of hand.

I, too, enjoy off-topic discussions and find someone always brings it around to have a bit of rail content.

I will ask again, maybe third time is the charm.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
A good name for a purely political forum would be "Inside the Bubble."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eVzLu86cyAI/TpXqoTa-vwI/AAAAAAAAGfU/6h1CqPT0Nko/s1600/bubble%255B1%255D.jpg

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked that bubble.

Maybe it would be good to discuss lighter subjects such as collecting old radio drama MP3's, cereal box-top premiums, or starting up a new US Confederacy which could print its own, non-fiat, gold backed currency.

Richard

Posts: 1792 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
What if someone pops the bubble? [Eek!]

In 38 days, I go silent on politics. I probably go overboard sometimes, however, I have tried to be a "Paul Revere" for the last year. Things are bad, and many people are completely unaware of what is truly going on. I know what an Obama second term means--I know *precisely* what it means, and I want to stop it. If everyone knew the truth, they would want to stop it as well. If you would like to get a feel for what I'm talking about, simply go here and listen for free (commercials are edited out also, so it goes fast):

http://marklevinshow.com/sectional.asp?id=32930

Click on 9-24-2012 and listen to the monologue.

Member # 2933

Member Rated:
The polls will stay open a little longer, closing instead on Thursday Oct. 25th

This will allow the upcoming three debates to be heard and taken into consideration before casting a vote.

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mods- just mailed my vote off to you. The outcome of the debates won't have much of an effect on my choice; I'm not one of those vaunted "independents" that do exist out there, I'm sure.
Are there still some of us, agonizing over which choice to make? Gotta be kind of a razor thin cross section, IMHO. Great day, everyone!

RR Bob

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
The key to making the decision is or certainly should be that which is good for the country as a whole long term. It would be nice to get what you want short term and your special interests if possible. But, that should take a back seat to the first point.

Making a decision on one or a few points only can be dangerous. It is also worth remembering that the best thing to do when dealing with politicians is turn off the sound and watch the action. Look at the qualities and quality of the person as well.

A comment: No person or nation ever spent themselves out of debt or into prosperity.

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the message regarding Open Discussion, so I deleted a previous comment, and hope that maybe that's where these threads can go!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just spent 3 nights and 2 days on the train talking to everyone, and never heard a mention of anything political (or saw a commercial). It was a pleasant experience and I needed a break.

Things have become so polarized and so many people feel they are aware of the truth and those who oppose them are not. It is good to step back for a moment and put it all in perspective. A train ride across America is the perfect way to do that. I have yet to see a Romney sign in our city, and yet I traveled through areas where there are nothing but Republican signs. No matter where I was, people were a pleasure to meet and they were hopeful.

Posts: 1564 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Nothing but Romney/Ryan lawn signs where we live (rural, mostly white, horse farms of 3 acres or more in N. Central FL). Guess the Romney's dressage horse did the trick here. We don't go in for lawn signs or bumper stickers, but our horses, dogs, and cats are definitely "takers" not "makers", so we will vote their interests.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
That's interesting, Mike (about the political signs on lawns). The reason I say that's interesting is because in my area (SF Bay Area), it's very strange---I have not seen ONE political sign on anyone's lawn. Not for Obama, and not for Romney---there simply aren't the signs like I saw leading up to the 2008 election. And my area is heavily liberal and I know the vote will go to Obama in my state, yet in 2008 I saw plenty of Obama stickers and Romney stickers on cars. I can count on one hand how many stickers I've seen for either candidate. I guess that could be because I have seen several news stories locally where someone who has a (fill in the blank) bumper sticker had their car vandalized. I think people are too afraid to show their support for either side because of how divided we are right now (courtesy of you-know-who). But it's a very interesting observation to see the huge difference between then and now.
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my very liberal area also has somewhat fewer signs than 4 years ago. In 2008, Obama headquarters was 3 blocks from my house. All the windows in it were broken by vandals. I suppose they moved to a location this year with less windows.
Posts: 1564 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page