RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railforum Election (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Railforum Election
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After tonight's debate, I expect to see lots more Romney/Ryan signs. That was a piss-poor showing by Obama, who let Romney take control of the proceedings. Never saw such long faces at MSNBC in my life!

Biden will have to pull a Tebow next week to even this thing up!

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you saw was exactly why I'm anti-Obama. You saw Obama in his true fashion tonight. That's why our country is in so much turmoil right now.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
That's interesting, Mike (about the political signs on lawns). The reason I say that's interesting is because in my area (SF Bay Area), it's very strange---I have not seen ONE political sign on anyone's lawn. Not for Obama, and not for Romney---there simply aren't the signs like I saw leading up to the 2008 election. And my area is heavily liberal and I know the vote will go to Obama in my state, yet in 2008 I saw plenty of Obama stickers and Romney stickers on cars. I can count on one hand how many stickers I've seen for either candidate. I guess that could be because I have seen several news stories locally where someone who has a (fill in the blank) bumper sticker had their car vandalized. I think people are too afraid to show their support for either side because of how divided we are right now.

As another but highly temporary resident of the bay area, I had not paid attention to this point until you brought it us, but yes that is right. There does seem to be quite a bit of fear of revealing your political opinions here, particularly if they are anti-Obamba.

I would also comment that someone I know well here, but will in no way identify circumstances (i.e. work, business contact, church, neighbor) for the sake of their anonymity has said that Obamba scares them, but they are afraid to say anything about their concerns because they are afraid of the possible consequences. Incidentially this person fits a demographic that the Obamba follwers consider theirs.

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder why I watch these events on C-SPAN - no talking heads to tell me what to think. As soon as the debate was over, I turned it off and went to bed (an hour past my bed hour as was). My "sleep time radio" was not the usual WBBM 780/105.9, but rather the San Francisco Symphony being aired by WFMT 98.7.

I knew Romney won.

Enough to change the course of the election? Tune in 33 days from now.

Here in town, there is one Obama supporter (as near as I can tell, the only such) that displays Obama signage in his yard (the guy is a gadfly; he doesn't have too many friends down at Village Hall either). The signage has been vandalized now at least two times. Now he has another sign "touch my signs and I call the cops".

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope John Kerry helps Obama with his next two debates. He did a great job this time!
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have not seen any Obama or Romney signs around here, but there are plenty of signs for local and State candidates. I live in a small town in a rural area, which is largely State/National Forest.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Wonder why I watch these events on C-SPAN - no talking heads to tell me what to think. As soon as the debate was over, I turned it off and went to bed

Exactly my reponse!! Regardless of where I see/hear it. Likewise for anything I see "live". Consider that if these people were not being paid to talk they would be descirbed as gossips.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CSPAN was my main source also. The split screen was far superior to Fox and some of the others, who went to full screen for whomever was responding. It really was helpful to see the "body English" of candidates, while the opponent was speaking.

After the debate, I flipped over to the talking heads for awhile, until I couldn't take any more. I did find James Carville's commentary pretty entertaining; about Romney and his "chainsaw."

In my right-leaning neighborhood, there are no Romney yard signs that I've seen, and only one Obama/Biden sign displayed by a highly activist household that had their whole house covered with Obama posters in 2008. Everyone else seems to be playing it pretty close to the vest.

And there's my 500th post <--- [Cool]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Romney may have won the debate, but he messed with Big Bird. Big Bird has friends. Powerful friends. This ain't over.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Tweet that someone put out this morning about this:

"Hey Big Bird - talk to Dora the Explorer. She is able to make it without funding from PBS."

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
I hope John Kerry helps Obama with his next two debates. He did a great job this time!

[Big Grin] Good one!
Maybe he should get Bill Clinton to coach him on the next debates!
BTW, I heard the debate on the radio, so I couldn't catch any body language. But even I knew Romney was walking all over Obama, who just wouldn't defend himself. No excuses. Forget altitude, Libya, whatever. It was Obama who lost that night.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
After tonight's debate, I expect to see lots more Romney/Ryan signs. That was a piss-poor showing by Obama, who let Romney take control of the proceedings. Never saw such long faces at MSNBC in my life!

While riding a city bus yesterday here in San Fran, I heard what the person making the excuse considered the primary reason behind his poor perfomance. His handlers had not realized that he needed to get to Denver about two days early to become acclimated to the altitude. In other words, he performed poorly because his brain was oxyoge-deprived. I refrain from comment.
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a sports fan, but I wonder how visiting teams do against the Rockies, Broncos and Nuggets. Do they get a couple of days to breathe the Denver air before the game?

Or do they suck as badly as the President did?

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happened to me once. My kids and I hopped off the Zephyr and zipped up to Loveland Ski Area (at the I-70 tunnel). We felt ok but realized we could not walk straight. We bailed out on skiing that day. By the next morning we were fine at 10,000 ft.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar Denver experience in 1984 when I first went to Denver to march with the DCI drum and bugle corps there. It took me a couple of days before I could zip up a flight of stairs without nearly passing out.

Might have taken longer had I flown but I did take the train out. Went Greenville, SC - New Orleans - San Antonio - Chicago - Denver.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:

Not exactly a Tebow, but at least a draw tonight. Did Ryan actually think that there were Marines at Benghazi, a consulate not an embassy? Didn't like Joe's breaking out in giggles every time he thought Ryan was lying, though. Joe might have saved Obama's *** tonight; certainly didn't do it any harm.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
My feeling about tonight's debate, I hate to say, is "eh". I can't say that either of them "won". I think Biden came across most of the time as smug and arrogant, and at other times he came across very confident---like he always has. Ryan, on the other hand, really disappointed me. I was expecting some slam-dunks and I wish he wouldn't have allowed the moderator to shut him up so much (I did NOT care for this moderator. Where did they find her???).

I heard one talking head describe tonight's debate perfectly. "If you listened to the debate on the radio, Ryan won. If you watched the debate on TV, Biden won". That about sums it up for me, which is that there was no clear winner. At one point during the debate I almost fell asleep on my couch because things seemed so dry and boring.

Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
quote:
My feeling about tonight's debate, I hate to say, is "eh". I can't say that either of them "won". I think Biden came across most of the time as smug and arrogant, and at other times he came across very confident---like he always has. Ryan, on the other hand, really disappointed me. I was expecting some slam-dunks and I wish he wouldn't have allowed the moderator to shut him up so much (I did NOT care for this moderator. Where did they find her???).

I heard one talking head describe tonight's debate perfectly. "If you listened to the debate on the radio, Ryan won. If you watched the debate on TV, Biden won". That about sums it up for me, which is that there was no clear winner. At one point during the debate I almost fell asleep on my couch because things seemed so dry and boring.

Glad I'm not the only one! I DID fall asleep two - thirds of the way through!
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
quote:
[QB]

I heard one talking head describe tonight's debate perfectly. "If you listened to the debate on the radio, Ryan won. If you watched the debate on TV, Biden won". {QB]

Intersting; exactly what they said about the JFK/Nixon debate in 1960, and you know how that election turned out. Not surprised that you didn't care for the moderator, as she didn't let your boy run roughshod over the format as Lehrer did with Mitt.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Mike: In a time period of just under 40 minutes, Ryan was interrupted 116 times. 34 by the moderator, and 82 times by Biden. It's not that she didn't let "my boy" run roughshod, it's that she was clearly biased.
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is your last day to vote. The results will be posted tomorrow
Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Getting close now---getting close!!!
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Results are:

Obama -14

Romney - 9

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Thanks for holding the election! The results are right around where I thought they would be. Now what is going to be really interesting is comparing these results of random people with a common interest to those of the general population of the country. I predict the results to be the other way around, which will shock many people (but not me!). [Smile]
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While likely this comment should be made over at the Open Discussion Forum, it certainly appears that the "momentum" has shifted to Gov. Romney. Whether "the power of the incumbency" (somehow a "The President's private 747" eclipses the "other guy's chartered 737" at an airport campaign rally) will be enough to slow this momentum, we will (hopefully, but not assuredly) know in less than two weeks.
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What amazes me is that there were so few votes. I wonder what percentage that is of the total registered members and how that will compare to the general election.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
GBN: Romney's aircraft is an MD-80, not a 737.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Good point Mr. Smith; and I will stand corrected.

I had noted from what is shown of it in news clips that Romney's aircraft has retractable stairs. Many of the "DC-9 varietals" are so equipped; and would have presumed some 737's were likewise.

I knew Romney was not flying about in the likes of an A-320 as that sircraft has "distinctive" winglets - also I guess that would be like any candidate showing up in a Mercedes limo.

Of course, should Romney be elected, here will be Limo One.

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
What amazes me is that there were so few votes. I wonder what percentage that is of the total registered members and how that will compare to the general election.

I guess the small number might represent our "core" membership (those that post regularly.) We probably have low profile members who just enjoy reading the posts, but rarely post much themselves.

I'd agree with the esteemed GBN that no matter the result of the election, the country would be really stressed by a "cliff hanger" result; ie. Bush v. Gore.

Possibly even cause some civil unrest, which certainly no one wants...

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
As the proud former owner of 2 used Ramblers, I appreciate the Limo One photo. Great car for low-budget traveling in the '60s, and I think the only American car with fold-down seats for sleeping. I most certainly would have voted for George Romney back then, a very principled and honest man. I can't say the same for Mitt.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had what I guess was the precursor to the AMC Rambler, the Nash Rambler, 1950 vintage. A convertible no less, but certainly bit strange looking.

My parents had just gone through WWII and were concerned the Korean war woul lead to more gas rationing.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a teenager we had a Rambler wagon, the simple possession of which was enough for my girl friends' parents to (almost) forbid them to go out with me. (Former teenagers of a certain age may remember the vulgar term for the vehicle.)

Then my brother had a Nash Metropolitan, a mini-two-seater that was a maintenance nightmare. Driving that on winter ice was like steering bumper cars.

Both automobiles of course, helped steer me to railroad travel. (wink)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

My pop, a toolmaker at Consolidated Vultee, rode a Rambler "American" back and forth to work for many years. It was the "kitchen" yellow color with a 3 spd manual on-the-stalk. I got the hang of shifting gears on that old car. He eventually traded it in for a very early Toyota Corona, and ran the heck out of that one, too.

Henry- one of my first girlfriends had a Nash Metropolitan; even on "dry pavement" it was a bumper car for her. We were tinkering with it constantly to keep it running. Very iconic little rig in "aqua and cream" color!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Back in my "car on the cheap" days, which be it assured are behind me, I had a 1971 AMC Hornet:

http://www.motorstown.com/imgs/44831-amc-concord-2.html

Photo is a Concord; same difference.

Two words on that pile of junk; "never again".

Even if the name came from a Hudson, it was a Nash; built in Kenosha. I know when I signed the title over on that one, all I could think was "good riddance". Somehow any of the thirteen other experiences of doing such have been a little more "emotional".

ColdRain&Snow
Member # 15381

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColdRain&Snow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howabout a little love for the AMC Gremlin?

She sure was a handsome little number...

-

Posts: 46 | From: Playa Del Rey, CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
The Gremlin: We had one of those. 1975 version. Put over 100,000 miles on it before I got broadsided on the left side at a stop sign. It would still run despite the insurance company calling it totaled, but without the left side door. Of course, by the time it was wrecked the cost of knocking out a bent fender would probably have exceeded its value. We were happy with it, and went pretty much everywhere in it.

My parents had a 68 Ambassador. Nice riding car. Another vehicle that got past 100,000.

Not that we had AMC stock or any such, it was just the vehicles that seemed right at the time.

This was probably the last time I took much of any stock in what Consumer Reports had to say. They recommended strongly against AMC anything, but we were happy with them, and some friends that got the CR recommended vehicle, whatever it was I have forgotten, were anything but happy with it.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
As the proud former owner of 2 used Ramblers, I appreciate the Limo One photo. Great car for low-budget traveling in the '60s, and I think the only American car with fold-down seats for sleeping. I most certainly would have voted for George Romney back then, a very principled and honest man. I can't say the same for Mitt.

I remember my 8th grade teacher had a Nash Rambler, TwinStar. I may be wrong, but wasn't the Rambler one of the first American cars with push-button windows? I should qualify that, maybe the first non-luxury car with push button windows? In the late 50's, my uncle bought a high-end Olds which was the first car, he had, with push button windows. He thought it was a waste of money, when you could just "turn the crank handle" to make the window come down.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Sing Along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Aae9ReI5Q&feature=related

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
A Gremlin? Wow! If I recall correctly, that is also the "Wayne and Garth" mobile (Wayne's World).

Or wait...was it a Pacer?

ColdRain&Snow
Member # 15381

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColdRain&Snow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pacer X ... The Ultimate Driving Machine.

-

Posts: 46 | From: Playa Del Rey, CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page