RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railforum Election (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Railforum Election
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne and Garth did indeed drive a Pacer. Billed in ads as "America's first wide small car", the Pacer designers flirted with innovative ideas such as front wheel drive and a rotary engine. There was even an electric version. Ahead of its time with rack and pinion steering and aerodynamic design, AMC simply did not have the resources to build the car it was conceived to be. It still has a devoted following in Europe. "We are not worthy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Pacer

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love the Wiki page! Those pictures are awesome; especially the one that is yellow with the wood paneling!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of memories in those pictures. My grandparents always had Nashes. I think the only times the seats were ever reclined fully was when my Grandfather was showing off the feature. He always said they would be great for "camping". My grandmother had other ideas -- like a nice hotel.

We both voted tonight. If you have the opportunity to do so early, get to it!

Frank in dark and cool after another warm day SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I met Sandy (my bride) in 1965, she was driving a green 1964 Nash Rambler American with a stick shift. She loved that car, and drove it around like Danica Patrick, and I basically learned how to drive a stick shift on it.

Now we've come full circle; I drive a stick shift pick-up truck, and she can't (or won't) ever drive a manual transmission vehicle again.

P.S. Yes, she's getting a lot of grief over her namesake, Hurricane Sandy.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know it was happy day when that "thing" - 1971 Green AMC Hornet - was gone and someone else's problem.

I think its L-Head in line six was developed by Nash along with drivetrain. The thing just had cheapness written all over it; and is the only auto I've ever owned that needed front suspension links replaced (to my knowledge, only people that insist on keeping autos into the 200K range have to worry about parts such as ball joints and "CV" boxes - I know I don't).

Haven't got a fond memory of any kind about that pile of junk. July 1973 is when I got a mid-sized Chevy (Chevelle IIRC).

If how his Father made autos is any indication of how Willard is going to run things from 1600, better let the other guy have a new lease there.

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/AmericanMotors/Nash1946-1959.html

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/AmericanMotors/Hudson1949-1957.html

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/AmericanMotors/

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I'll interject my short Gremlin story, since that's our present thread "morph"--odd looking, early 70s cars.

It was a "driveaway" car- remember those? You would sign on to move a generally repo'ed vehicle from Pt. A to Pt. B. I moved a grape-purple 4 spd on the floor with skull shift knob Gremlin from New Orleans to San Jose, CA. Think I was about 20 years old.

The whole trip was quite the adventure; I slept in the car and ran into a massive snow storm somewhere in New Mexico that had the Gremlin skittering all over the place. But what I REALLY remember was this beehive-haired "cougar lady" I encountered in a nightclub dive in Amarillo, TX.
That's the end of my "Gremlin" story--.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Driveaway" cars got me across the country dozens of times. My first in the '60s was a brand new GTO convertible MN to LA (via Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Vegas and finally cruisin' on Sunset Strip). It was a father's gift to his daughter for starting college.

Another round trip (MN-LA and SLC-MN) got me a ride on the Desert Wind in between (finally train-related).

And for the Nash/AMC fans, how can we forget this classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4W7oZBhAJg

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A '62 Rambler American! My first car! A red convertible. Trouble with the song is that the car topped out at 91 MPH (Don't ask me how I know that). Also, if you look at the youtube video TSR has provided, during the shots of the engine compartment, on the left side hangs a red plastic bag...that's the windshield cleaning solvent holder. You would depress a pedal near the parking brake which would squeeze the bag and clean the windows! Pretty classy.

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not in any way an endorsement or comment on the merits of the two candidates but a prediction on the result of the Electoral College. Let's see which member gets closest!

I'll go with Obama to win 290 - 248

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Williams, if you are anywhere near correct, look for the Republic of Texas to re-form around March 2, 2013.

My prediction remains Romney-322, Lights are on but no one is home-216.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John McLaughlin (PBS pundit) predicts 281 for Romney/Ryan.

I guess the "conspiratorists" will be saying that this Romney favorable prediction from what is perceived as an Obama-Liberal leaning, publicly funded in part, media outlet is a "in case we win please be nice to us as we were calling the election for you" initiative.

But be that as it may, one has got to see PBS's latest "heart warming" (some may say tear jerking) self promotional spot showing Big Bird ushering a small girl through the historical events (Berlin Wall, 9/11, Obama election, et al) that have occurred since the character was first developed during the '80's.

Finally though, "oh what a relief it is" to reside in a "solid State" and avoid being bombarded with stuff like this that I'm sure anyone, such as Mr. Nicholson, residing in a "swinger" has seen ad nauseaum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Pmx47rGCw

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to predict anything, but one must consider the possibility of a dead heat whose winner would have to be decided by the House—and we all know who that would be.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's just hope it's not a repeat of 2000. If so, there will be lots of contested state votes, particularly in the storm impacted states.

Our son still has no power in northern NJ and not sure when they will get it back. Christie does seem to be making a real effort to enable all to vote but it will be tough. Also in Ohio where I've already heard the word 'fraud' tossed around with irregular early voting.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Norman, if Romney is successful in killing Big Bird's federal funding, Big Bird's annual salary will be reduced from $350,000 to $245,000. I'm thinking he will keep his job.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate Silver is calling the Electoral College this way:

Obama 306.9
Romney 231.1

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Henry, with apologies to McLaughlin, on a scale of 0 to 10—with 0 representing zero possibility and 10 representing metaphysical certitude—the chances of a dead heat are about 0.000001.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are my opinions:

Odds of a tie: ZERO

Odds of the popular vote NOT winning the electoral vote: ZERO

Election Results:

Romney: 320
Obama: 218

I'm telling you guys and gals, I have studied this thing to death. I'm not guessing the results based upon who I want to win, I am basing my guess upon who I truly think will win because of all of the research I've put together. Part of my process does involve "reading tea leaves" because one can only do so much research before a wild guess has to take place. But I think I've compiled as much data as I humanly can, and what I've done from there is very difficult to explain. But in a nutshell, I took the facts as I know them and then added in what I call the human factor. What I mean by that is that I have "guessed" what will happen at the polls, based upon my extensive studying and reading between the lines of just about everything.

This is the first time I've put this kind of work into an election. I'm either going to come out of this thing a hero, with my predictions being better than most of the experts and polling companies. Or, conversely, I will come out of this thing a zero--and I won't even be close. Should that happen, well, I will be an unhappy camper because that will mean that my methods and calculations have been completely off and I read things the wrong way. But I don't think that will be the case---I'm very confident that Romney will win, and that my numbers will be close.

Here is another prediction I will make right now: All of the cable news outlets have been talking about Tuesday's election all weekend long. They have ALL said that this is going to be an "all nighter", and that we probably won't have any election results until Wednesday morning. I totally disagree. I think we will know who the next president is by midnight PACIFIC time. I will be surprised if it goes beyond that. Why? Simple---I think that Romney's numbers will be so much higher than anyone predicted that it will be a very clear-cut case of who won.

I've been losing sleep over this--literally. I'm looking forward to an outcome the way I want it to be, but I'm also looking forward to this being OVER. I've had politics on my brain 24/7 for the last year. It will be nice to take a breather from all of this. At least for four more years. [Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
John McLaughlin (PBS pundit) predicts 281 for Romney/Ryan.

I guess the "conspiratorists" will be saying that this Romney favorable prediction from what is perceived as an Obama-Liberal leaning, publicly funded in part, media outlet is a "in case we win please be nice to us as we were calling the election for you" initiative.

I know all about John McLaughlin, Mr Norman, TMG was one of my favourite programmes for many years, so I don't know what Pat Buchanan or the late Tony Blankley would have to say about being described as being even tentatively linked to Obama-leaning Liberals!

I remember some years back McLaughlin correctly predicted that the Democrats would take both Houses in (would it have been) 2006 or 2008 to the amusement of the panel - even Eleanor Clift thought it wishful thinking.

I really miss TMG on Saturday mornings. That and "Meet the Press" were two of my favouite programmes to keep up with what was happening in the US but one weekend about five years ago TMG disappeared from CNBC Europe with absolutely no notice or explanation (it was still in the programme listings for that day!) and MTP was moved to a midnight UK slot (and it's never been the same since the death of Tim Russert).

The CBS and ABC nightly news shows are shown over here on terrestrial free channels but due to the time difference it is well after midnight. CNBC and CNN are free but only on cable or satellite. Fox News is available 24/7 but only as part of a satellite or cable subscription package. It is interesting that the only foreign channels offering an alternative free news service in English to UK terrestrial viewers are Russia's Overseas Service.......and Al-Jahzeera!

BBC, ITV and Sky (Fox) have all-nighters planned for tomorrow night but given that polling stations on the West Coast won't close until 4am UK time I'll wait until breakfast for the result.

"OUT OF TIME!!......BYE,BYE!!...."

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Williams, I am astounded that American TV news has such a place in the UK. Over here, BBC America does air some of your news analysis shows, and various Public Radio stations do air BBC World Service.

It seemed during the times that I visited my Sister in the UK (resided 1970-89 to the West of London - Barnes was the train station), the "Telly' always seemed to be tuned to British TV shows. But I can recall once in Dublin during 1986, staying at a hotel opposite the train station used by trains from Belfast and that you wouldn't "catch me dead" staying at today, watching the "junkiest of junk" American TV on some 14" B&W set in my room.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have made one prediction in confidence to a couple of regulars here but would just as soon not make it to the board at large.

I may reveal what my prediction was after the fact.....

The thing is, politics have become particularly divisive in recent years and I do enjoy being able to talk passenger trains past, present, and hopefully future with rail enthusiasts on both sides of the aisle...... and I don't want any political position I have staked out to diminish the railroading relations.

I will venture to say this - I do believe that the final electoral tally will not be as close as the talking heads on our cable channels (left, right, and center) would have us believe. Popular vote may be another matter.

Please note that in saying this I am not neccessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the outcomes predicted by others who have suggested that the race isn't really that close!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
To keep it in perspective, most Brits would be unaware of what is available in terms of overseas programmes. I've visited the US on twelve occasions and have so far visited 25 of the 50 states plus DC (even if, in the case of Idaho, it was only passing through on the EB in the middle of the night!) so I've actively sought out these things.

None of this would have been available in the 1970s when we only had three channels and closedown usually before midnight. We didn't get a fourth channel until 1982 and 24-hour broadcasting from 1988. It was only with the coming of 24-hour multi-channel satellite/cable in the mid-1990s and the need to fill up late night slots that we started getting more international offerings.

I remember in the 1970s the only coverage of American Football in the UK was 20 minutes of highlights of the Superbowl on the BBC's sports programme on the following Saturday afternoon.

Now there is a live double-header every Sunday evening from 6.00pm - midnight (albeit subscription only) with the Sunday Night and Monday Night games being live on free terrestrial channels, but rarely watched as they don't finish until around 4.30am!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
I've been losing sleep over this--literally. I'm looking forward to an outcome the way I want it to be, but I'm also looking forward to this being OVER. I've had politics on my brain 24/7 for the last year. It will be nice to take a breather from all of this. At least for four more years.

I can understand why, Mr. Smith.

It is not so much who you have clearly stated you want to win, but rather that you believe you have placed more effort into your research than have many professional pollsters, and especially the one The New York Times places much faith with - namely Nate Silver and his "538" opinions.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Hard to beat those psephologists. (Yes, I had to look it up, too.)
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Hard to beat those psephologists. (Yes, I had to look it up, too.)

It sounds like something you take for a bad case of indigestion.....oh wait a minute....
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smitty, to quote one of our politicians - I feel your pain over the election. It seems there are no ambivalent feelings over the candidates this year. Passion is good and let's hope our next president and the congress feel some of that and actually start fixing our many systemic problems.

One good thing about feeling strongly about your choice and his chances to be elected which may be contrary to predictions by the 'experts' - victory would be that much sweeter.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:

I may reveal what my prediction was after the fact.....

In horseracing, that is called "redboarding." Redboarders are treated like the worst kind of pariahs on the planet. I'm thinking you're in the Obama camp, but don't want to let on. It's all right, David; come in from the cold.
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
Here are my opinions:

Odds of a tie: ZERO

Odds of the popular vote NOT winning the electoral vote: ZERO

Let me fix this for you:

Your opinions are that there will NOT be a tie, and there will NOT be a popular vote winner different from the electoral vote winner.

The ODDS, however, could never be ZERO on any events that are POSSIBLE to happen. Your research into the election should have included some delving into probability and statistics, not to mention quantum theory.

To put it another way, OPINIONS are necessarily subjective while ODDS are mathematical constructs. I know that the odds are extremely slim for an actual electoral tie, but there are many possibilities for such. The odds for the popular/electoral discrepancy are much less slim; no, I can't calculate them, but neither is ZERO.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Psephologist Nate Silver provides these odds. As of today:
Odds of an electoral tie 0.3%
Odds of Obama winning popular but not electoral 0.7%
Odds of Romney winning popular but not electoral 6.9%
Odds any of us knew what a psephologist was before today - very near zero. Thanks Henry.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Stolen from the Beachwood Reporter's Quick Takes column:

"Presidential race too close to call."
A call was placed.
"This is the residence of Irene Hughes."
QT wishes to speak to Irene Hughes, the noted psychic.
A moment was waited.
"Hello?"
The polls say the presidential race is close. Do you have any sense of who is going to win?
"Romney is going to win."
Really.
"Romney will win by a substantial margin."
Thank you.
"You're welcome."
QT called four more psychics.
The final survey results:
+ Mitt Romney: 2
+ President Obama: 2
+ No Prediction: 1
The trend is apparent.
One day to go.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Tomorrow, I may stay up as late as 10PM rather than my usual 9 as there could be some projections from the Western States reported.

All that would establish is to what extent is Obama holding his base.

I'll go to bed with the radio on; maybe something really exciting occurs, I'll wake up.

Others hold to the contrary with views I respect, but with which I find it difficult to agree; all that will be known at 7AM CT Nov 7 is how many challenges are out there.

"May the best man win."

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Redskins (NFL team) apparently figure in to a weird statistic; regarding their game before a Presidential election, if they lose their game before the Big Election, the party not in power wins. Has proved true 19 times out of 20.

They lost their game to the Carolina team, I believe. So this is supposed to indicate a Romney win, but it may be more along the lines of a "Punxsatawney Phil" sort of a prognostication. Phil's record (longer winter due to seeing/not seeing his shadow) is only so-so accurate. Guess we all have to wait for Tuesday and not rely on groundhogs or football results-

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
I normally go to bed around 8-9. I plan on doing the same, tomorrow. Do not expect any "crowing" from me until early Wednesday. I usually get up around 4am.
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
In the UK we have off-course betting, and there's a "bookies", as they are called, in every high street. They offer odds on just about everything and we allowed to bet on the US elections.

Tonight, in the UK, Obama is odds-on. He is best priced at 1/3 and as short as 2/11 (that's 1.33 and 1.18 for those who only understand tote odds).

Romney is between 11/4 and best priced 7/2 (3.75 and 4.5)

An Electoral College tie is being offered at around 33 to 1.

Some of them are already offering odds on the 2016 election!!

Romney and Hillary Clinton are the favourites, with Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio close behind.

If you fancy an unlikely outsider Donald Trump is 100/1, Michelle Obama and George Clooney 200/1 and 500/1 for Clint Eastwood!!!!!!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, I guess Ladbrokes is making a killing off our election, Mr. Williams.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that I would bet on anything involving the Carolina Panthers.

And Ocala Mike - no..... no..... I like shivering. I've become accustomed to being in the cold because only once in my adult lifetime has my presidential vote contributed anything at all to the electoral tally!

I'm also the only person in my neighborhood who supports a collegiate athletic team not in the Atlantic Coast Conference...... but this is another story.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
No "crowing" or "crying" from me either way on Wednesday. My advice to anyone actually upset by the way the election turns out is the standard "double the usual dosage of whatever adult beverage/painkiller/pharmacological product you take and call your doctor in the morning."

Right now, I am dealing with a lot of harassment at my workplace, a small pharmacy that I deliver for, since I am the only Obama supporter there. I have been threatened with the loss of my job, either through layoff or the place going out of business, and not such veiled threats either.

I'm not sure, but I think it's part of the Republican playbook to encourage business owners to threaten their employees with loss of their jobs if a certain candidate is re-elected. Wouldn't have believed it, but I see it possibly happening to me. If it does, I will head straight to the Unemployment Office. One thing I have learned though: the old saw about never discussing politics, religion, or *** with anyone outside your trusted inner circle applies.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
That's s-e-x, of course, for anyone that couldn't figure it out.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike--

I'm sorry to hear about your experience but I can relate to it.

I had to "unfriend" someone on Facebook after he continued to post really gross anti-Obama stuff including a badly photoshopped picture of the First Lady.

I explained that I wasn't disagreeing with his right to an opinion but that I just personally found his posts offensive.

He fired off a public denouncement of me, the entire population of California and anyone who didn't believe as he did. He topped it off with a string of racist, sexist and homophobic remarks.

I NEVER saw this side of him before and I miss some of the discussions we had about topics like aviation and travel but I do NOT miss his posts.

Frank in dark and unusually warm SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Mike---I would like to think that your experience is extremely limited to whoever the knucklehead(s) is that is threatening you. I can tell you that in my circle of conservative friends and acquaintances, I have never heard of any such thing. I would not associate with those types, either. I have strong political opinions, but it has never gone THAT far.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

A good friend tells a story illustrating the human tendency to extrapolate from the particular to the general, i.e., to assume that his own little patch of native soil represents the reality of the whole world:

"1984: I had a daughter in the first grade at Francis Parker [an exclusive private school in the staunchly liberal Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago]. A mock election was held in her classroom. The results were 23 votes for Mondale and one for Reagan. The teacher telling us this story then added, 'And the mother of the little boy who voted for Reagan called me the next day and apologized. She said he’d misunderstood the directions.' It was a telling glimpse at how popular sentiment was trending in Lincoln Park, yet Reagan carried 49 states!"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page