RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A little good news

Author Topic: A little good news
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NARP reports in the January 31st Hotline that Beach Grove put two Superliner sleepers back into service on the 30th. Hooray!
http://www.narprail.org/hot280.htm (about half way down the page)

National Corridors has a somewhat more detailed report here. http://www.nationalcorridors.org/df02032003.shtml#Next It says one will go to the SW Chief, the other to the California Zephyr.

Anybody know if these are I or II models?

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 02-03-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mr. Toy,
Great news!
I'd like to say they are SI cars. In addition to being repaired/overhauled, they were also given new decals in the passenger-car style of the Phase V (IVb or VI, depending on who you ask!) paint (like some of the Amfleets have now, after they gave up on the booger paint). The Ph. IV stripes are used, but the blue is apparently a little bit more teal-colored. There is also a red stripe running along the bottom of the car, like the new P42s carry. The Amtrak logo is also featured on the sides of the cars.
I guess the whole Superliner fleet will get these decals someday, but for now there are just two. One of the cars is the 32053 (SI?), but I'm not sure of the other.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tubaallen
Member # 2057

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tubaallen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any pictures anyone?
Posts: 92 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've racked my brains on this one... what are SI cars?

Thanks.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S-I Superliner I's
S-II Superliner II's

The cars rebuilt are S-I's 32032 and 32053, both wrecked at Wendover 9-13-01. One was in consist of #5(2nd) which would mean, if all goes according to plan" that car would be in #6(5th).

For the life of me, can't figure out why Amtrak needs a Phase 6 paint scheme!

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doh! I should have realised it was that simple.

Thanks.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a website featured at TrainWeb with photos of Sleeper 32053 with the new decals:
Superliner page: http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakonline/superlineriphotos.html
Main site: http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakonline/
It doesn't look all that bad!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish they kept the large blue "Superliner" lettering. It looks kinda bare without it. The Amtrak logo looks good, though.

But the best part is the fact that it is back in service. That is what is important. The cosmetics are just a matter of personal preference.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 02-20-2003).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a paint-job fanatic (I couldn't give a rat's ass what "phase" a car or locomotive is in). But I actually prefer the new, simpler design.

I've always felt that scrawling "Superliner" or "Viewliner" on the cars makes them look like a cheesy thrill ride at an amusement park -- in other words, not the sort of thing that would inspire confidence in a nation that doesn't take rail travel seriously in the first place.

The understated new look is cleaner. More classic. Just like yours truly, of course.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 02-21-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as long as they don't revert back to those 'sardine-can' commuter tubes for the long distance rides, I'm with dilly, they need to pick one and keep it, the paint doesn't necessarily have that much to do with their attraction of business

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"cheesy thrill ride at an amusement park''. . .
dilly, you slay me!

- - - - -The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
I've always felt that scrawling "Superliner" or "Viewliner" on the cars makes them look like a cheesy thrill ride at an amusement park -- in other words, not the sort of thing that would inspire confidence in a nation that doesn't take rail travel seriously in the first place.

Back in the 1980s, Eastern Airlines had the tails of its Boeing 757 airplanes painted with a big "757," which is the rough equivalent of the "Superliner" lettering. And then there's the Southwest Airlines plane that's painted like Shamu...killer whales aren't known for having the ability to fly.

That said, since I've never liked the more recent (Phase IV) version of the "Superliner" lettering, I agree that the cars would look better without it.

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trainman 1:
Southwest Airlines is a "killer whale". It's killing off its larger competitors and promoting "cattle car flying" which is becoming worse and more contagious among the airlines because their market is willing to tolerate that uncivilized mode of travel for a cheaper fare. Too bad. That's why I always enjoy the space on a train.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
I've always felt that scrawling "Superliner" or "Viewliner" on the cars makes them look like a cheesy thrill ride at an amusement park --

Funny, that's what I always felt about the Phase III "Superliner" chunky script lettering.

quote:
The understated new look is cleaner. More classic. Just like yours truly, of course.

And that's what I thought about the Phase IV "Superliner" lettering, more elegant than Phase III. Its wierd how people interpret the same things in different ways.

------------------
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 02-22-2003).]

Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cthetrains:
as long as they don't revert back to those 'sardine-can' commuter tubes for the long distance rides, I'm with dilly, they need to pick one and keep it, the paint doesn't necessarily have that much to do with their attraction of business

Actually, that pretty much sums up Empire Corridor service.
Also, there must be more than a few Amfleet II cars out of service, because they do use them when they're what rolls. Today's 48 had re-re-repainted short distance coach 82044 and a Horizon lounge car. I think the crews were thankful. This one actually had a diner.

[This message has been edited by Amtrak207 (edited 02-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Amtrak207 (edited 02-23-2003).]

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soooo.....Is this an "offical" paint scheme?

The new Superliner ph. V?

I'm a fan of the Ph. IV scheme on the superliners, but this one doesn't look that bad. I guess it all depends on the equipment. I never cared for the Genesis locomotives until I saw them under the Ph. V paint.

It seems that about the time they get all the equipment painted into a new scheme, they change it again. I personally like the look of a matching passenger set. I suppose though, you can easily date a photo of a trainset based on the paint schemes. (ph. III, III/IV, IV, and now IV/V.) However, I'm still seeing P42's in Ph. III....I guess they don't want to be boring.

Still, I'm happy to see equipment back on the tracks.

[This message has been edited by vincen47 (edited 02-24-2003).]

Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry. "official" -wish they had spell check!
Posts: 64 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vincen47,
There has been an unofficial consensus that the new Superliner paint scheme is called "Phase IVb" (right, Chris? ), as it has the original phase IV stripes, but has been changed with the addition of the Amtrak logo and red safety stripe near the bottom of the cars.
It's strange that you liked the Genesis AFTER the Ph. V paint. Most people HATED them with the new paint!
Hopefully we'll have this mostly-uniform fleet long enough to enjoy. It's nice to see a matched set of units and passenger cars. And even the mail and express cars are in a similar scheme these days.
You're right though- in the end it's just good to get the equipment back on the tracks. I get caught up a lot in paint schemes and sometimes have to take a second to realize that the equipment IS back and (hopefully) helping the bottom line!

{By the way- there is an "Edit" feature to all posts which you can click on to change any wording that you would like (on your own messages), so even though there isn't a spell check, you can still change it if you find a mistake!}

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 02-24-2003).]

vincen47
Member # 2201

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for vincen47     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Eric.

Come to think of it, "Ph. IVb" is also used to describe some variations of the express boxcars, right?

I'll be sure to use the edit feature from now on!

Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Come to think of it, "Ph. IVb" is also used to describe some variations of the express boxcars, right?"

I don't doubt it! There seem to be at least five different schemes (and variations) out there. Are they also referred to as phases I through V on an entirely different chart than the locomotives!?

This is my favorite scheme: http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtMHC/amt71089.jpg

...and they changed it as well with the style change of the lower bands of Ph V on the locomotives (beginning w/ unit 169). Confused yet?! http://lib2.clark.cc.oh.us/amtrak/amtMHC/amt71124.jpg

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page