RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » How Many Miles Do You Have?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How Many Miles Do You Have??
piedpiper13
Member # 2473

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for piedpiper13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Steve started Trainweb; he has had an ongoing total of his miles on Amtrak. I started riding Amtrak Feb 1972, to date - 23,076 miles ((with a 6638 mile round trip (ORL thru NOL thru CHI to WFH) bought and paid for, for Mar 2004). How about you??

------------------
"My other car and my plane is AMTRAK!" - Bob

Posts: 24 | From: Clermont, FL USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrakman
Member # 2403

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrakman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
20,051 Miles in about 15 years.

And I have a 2,300+ this summer trip planned from CHI to SAC.

------------------
~Late train+more time on the train=The best trains~

Check out my new website at http://www.trainweb.org/toddsamtrakphotos/

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiking2
Member # 2239

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiking2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have over 13,000 miles in ten years with 7,100 miles more in two weeks time on amtrak and via. Cle-chi-sf-sea-vac-tor-syr-cle.
Posts: 27 | From: Cleveland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisJ
Member # 320

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since October 1998, I've logged 21,185 miles total on Amtrak, VIA, and AOE. Another 2,848 coming up this month onn Amtrak & VIA.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just about beat all of you so far, and I don't even live over there (I'm a Brit)! 24,066 miles since August 1997. I've been on average on one cross-country round trip every other year since then!

Longest trip at 6392 miles was NYP-NOL-LAX-CHI-WAS(CL)-NYP in 1998. Shortest was 1146 miles NYP-WAS-CHI(Cardinal).

My shortest trip is coming up - under 350 miles on the CZ in a couple of weeks time. I *might* be doing Orlando to New Orleans and back (1500 miles) to get away from the wrinklies for a bit.

Worst - Silver Meteor for food, service, and cleanliness. Best - Cardinal. On time (actually 30 mins early) - Southwest Chief. Latest - California Zephyr at 7 hours.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I knew...

I had a 16 year absence from Amtrak. I can easily tell you how many miles I've gone in recent years: a mere 7,558 since August 2000.

But, I rode the Starlight a lot between 1974 and 1984. I kept a journal for a class, and in that journal I remember I calculated over 10,000 miles sometime during the 1976-1977 school year. If I could only find that journal now (I think I still I have it in a box somewhere) I could give a reasonably accurate figure. Given that, my total mileage is certainly well over 17,558.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These numbers will be on my web site soon. My All-Time Milage Record on Amtrak stands at 15,256 miles traveled on 65 separate Amtrak Trains so far in my life. My first Amtrak Trip was "way back" on July 23rd, 1996, rode from Buffalo To Sandusky On #49. My 26th and most recent trip was on April 23rd, 2003, riding from Buffalo to Schenectady on #286 (Empire Service) and #49 back.

Geno Dailey's Amtrak Photo Archive http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix

Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all Amtrak by any means, but my total for North America (does not include mileage on other continents) is 63,163. This is unduplicated mileage; i.e., only the first trip over a route counts.

I haven't tallied my Amtrak mileage separately, but if I include all the trips up and down the Northeast Corridor over the years, I'm sure I could hit 40,000 miles. I've covered the entire current Amtrak network, with the small exception of the "East Valley Line" Sacramento to Tehama, Detroit-Pontiac, and a recent minor re-route of the "Three Rivers" via New Castle, PA. I've been on a number of LD trains more than once.

I was 18 when Amtrak was formed, so I've had most of my adult life to work on this project.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MdmMim
Member # 2355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MdmMim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have approximately 32,400 miles on Amtrak, all on the east coast from Miami to Montreal over the course of 11 years. I have more trips planned for the fall/winter for 7200 additional miles. I just love Amtrak! (My Amtrak Rewards program helps out a lot! I just got my second free trip in a sleeper.)
Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ritchie
Member # 1757

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piedpiper13:
Since Steve started Trainweb; he has had an ongoing total of his miles on Amtrak. I started riding Amtrak Feb 1972, to date - 23,076 miles ((with a 6638 mile round trip (ORL thru NOL thru CHI to WFH) bought and paid for, for Mar 2004). How about you??

------------------

Posts: 5 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why hasn't anyone mentioned MileTrak yet? This is an ideal post to bring it up.
Anyway, at http://www.miletrak.com is a nice utility for computing your personal AmMileage.
Uh oh. Never mind.
"We are currently culminating a full website server move. MileTrak databases have yet to be restored, but the parent site has been mostly put back into place. Please bear with us as we restore MileTrak functionality - we appreciate your patience."
I'm not so impressive compared to the rest of you (I feel so Amfeeble!) but I've enjoyed the trips, every foot of the way. All in coach. I'm up to (only) 10,000 or so miles, but I still get a narcotic-like high when I'm on a train just for being there.
That reminds me- I think I'm overdue for a train trip. Just you wait. One of these years I'll take my dream trip. No, I will not reveal what that is or where it takes me. Oooooh, suspense! I know.
Late train equals more for your money.
My other car is a bicycle and to me airlines don't exist.

------------------
F40PH #757099-8
March 29, 1976-August 17, 2001
Requisecat in pacis

P42DC #53063
Around 2.5 million miles to go

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I've been regularly traveling by train since I was a little kid during the 1950s, I've only recently started to keep track. During the past ten months, I've logged just over 9,000 miles.

One day I'll sit down and do a rough "guesstimate" of my total mileage, based on the numerous earlier trips (Amtrak and pre-Amtrak) I can still remember. The total will definitely be six figures.

[This message has been edited by dilly (edited 05-08-2003).]

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry folks but there is a Chrisg who posts alot on trainorders.com who has over 700,000 miles on Amtrak & other RRs. Yes that's over seven hundred thouosand miles! Anybody else heard of him?
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cajon - Could that be Chris Guenzler? He is featured in Train Web often.... I believe he has a radio show about trains or something.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concerning mileage -- I haven't kept track, but I have been riding AMTRAK since 1975, and have done trips not every year, but I estimate I've had about 20-25 train trips since then, each one averaging from 9000 to 15,000 miles.
--REK

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GREGKUZMICK
Member # 1760

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for GREGKUZMICK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 14 years, I have 142,702 miles on Amtrak
and another 7,349 on VIA Rail Canada.

I take on average 2 cross country Amtrak trips per year and a trip to Halifax every
2 years in conjunction with Amtrak and VIA Rail.

I do all of this from Pittsburgh where I
live and work..luck for me I work at at
travel agency.

Posts: 1 | From: pittsburgh..pa..usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Chris Guenzler as mentioned above. As of 3:45 PM on 5/9 siiting in the Trainweb offices, I have 747,012.2 miles now. going to San Diego in a few minutes to do Let's Talk Trains 5/10 10-12 PDT.

My web site is http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSCT29
Member # 2507

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PSCT29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...well I ride a clocker almost every day between PJC and NYP for the last 6 years (except for the few times its been late and I've been stuck on NJT for the whole trip)...figure its roughly 149,760 miles for the last six years (forgot to add the round trip in there from before) give or take (not including trips taken during vacation)

[This message has been edited by PSCT29 (edited 05-25-2003).]

Posts: 3 | From: West Orange, NJ | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxmarch
Member # 2495

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxmarch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have zero.... but this time next month, my 4 kids,Wife and I will have over 49,000 miles... 6 of us time 7,000 miles each after our Orlando to Washington D.C. to Chicago to LA to San Diego and back trip. It will be the first trip for all of us.
Posts: 43 | From: Cape Coral, FL | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just added this year's mileage to my wife and my total Amtrak miles.

And the grand total is.........

41,605 miles since May 1997.

Our goal is 100,000 miles.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I can't match most of these numbers. I'm only 26 years old and make a measly 1,200/month. I've only been riding trains for fun since 1998. Since then, I've grossed about 15,000 miles. I haven't gotten far either. My job rarely allows for more than a day or two off at a time. My longest trip was Bakersfield to Seattle RT (in coach-always). I've taken a few Bakersfield to Tucson RT (The Slugset veryLimited is hell on wheels), about a handful of LAX to Sacramento via 14 trips, several Bakersfield to Bay area trips and one fantastic Bakersfield to Flagstaff trip. I've never been further than that. Poor me. What little experience I have. Let me go wallow in sel---

Anyway, I would venture to say I'm just as much of a foamer(I take the term as a compliment!)as those that have put up six digit mileage. In order for me to put up six digit mileage, I'd have to have a six digit salary, which I don't. But, I do not envy those who do-you're very fortunate.

Anyway-how about those that just sit around at the train station or by the railroad tracks just daydreaming of what someday might be! Can anybody beat 14 hours of just sitting and WATCHING the trains?

------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode train 769 back from Solana Beach this morning 5/26/03 and at MP 178 of the Metrolink San Diego Sub I passed my 750,000.0 train riding mile. Now only 249,997.2 to the million mile mark to ride.

Chris http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
piedpiper13
Member # 2473

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for piedpiper13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go!, Chris, Go!

------------------
"My other car and my plane is AMTRAK!" - Bob

Posts: 24 | From: Clermont, FL USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you going to hit a cool Million Miles next week? See ya soon.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished my Miletrak: http://amtraktrains.com/miletrak/users/UncleBuck1054479046.MT?/Sentinel/MTTzSjUTtrvgg

Notice the large amount of trips in between Kirkwood and St. Louis. Im probably missing a few. I usually take two of those little rides a year.

I also have to add in a Desert Wind Trip.
Grand Total: 68 trips 14,963 miles.

Maybe a trip from CHI-NYP in August on LSL.

If my family loved trains as much as I do, I would have taken the Desert Wind to and from Chicago. Empire Builder to and from Seattle, well I would have never flown.

And I hopefully have a long ways to go on miles seeing as how Im only 15.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just gave up counting a few years back. I was over 150,000 miles. I'd say I would be over 200,000 by now. That would be since 1988 and includes a 30 day trip with over 23,000 miles. If my memory serves me, I spent all but 5 nights on the train. On one portion of the trip I believe I spent 10 nights straight on the train.

Reggie

------------------

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 06-06-2003).]

[This message has been edited by reggierail (edited 06-06-2003).]

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMTK271
Member # 1778

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMTK271   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've traveled 4,475 miles on Amtrak. Most of these have come this year except for 280 of them which came back in 1998 on my first ever Amtrak trip. So, it 4,195 miles this year alone. I hope to get a lot more miles in as I'm only 14.

Here's the link to all the routes I've traveled: http://amtraktrains.com/miletrak/users/AMTK%20271.html

I am also going Cleveland-Chicago round trip June 28th on the LSL.

[This message has been edited by AMTK271 (edited 06-07-2003).]

Posts: 24 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most nights I spent on a train was 5 consecutive in coach. You soon learn how to fall asleep after the first couple of sleepless nights! That was part of a 7000 mile round trip NYP-LAX via NOL and CHI, my second trip on Amtrak.

Back on the Sunset in August between ORL and NOL (got to get away from Disney for a while!).

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MP 6.7
Member # 2654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MP 6.7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 9208 miles not including my two Pioneer round trips from Tacoma to Denver. Miletrack does not have the Pioneer in there. I don't have any schedules. Does anyone know how far it was from Tacoma (or Seattle, just subtract 40 miles) to Denver on the Pioneer? Multiply it by four and add it to 9208 and you have my total ridership.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

1585 miles Denver - Tacoma (Spring 95 timetable).

Geoff M.

graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really should have added up my mileage. With the exception of 1993 and 1994,I have taken one, sometimes two cross country trips every year since 1990 and a few smaller ones inbetween. I have a nice one coming up after Labor Day..BWI to Jacksonville to Los Angeles on the Silver service and the Sunset,and back on the Chief from LA to Chicago and the Capital Ltd to DC. Los Angeles is just a place to go for a couple of days..being its the end of the line. The vacation is the train and thanks to sleepers being moderatly priced $200 on the Sunset and $225 on the Chief, I can afford to go in sleepers both ways, something I have never done before.

I ve ridden every Amtrak route at least once with the exception of the Pioneer, and as long as you are not in a hurry to get anywhere and don t have a deadline to meet,there is nothing like traveling cross county by train. I never get tired of it,and theres always a new experience everytime I travel!

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UncleBuck44
Member # 2049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for UncleBuck44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it will be a good trip for u graynt.

Posts: 547 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe 5704
Member # 2277

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Santa Fe 5704     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a lot of traveling on passenger trains. Hope everyone is enjoying the trips. As you know, Amtrak is facing another battle again this year for Funding. How many times will this keep happening until the system breaks and goes belly up. I sure hope it don't but the law of averages says it can't keep it up forever. I know you guys are talking about traveling on Amtrak but I figure I've ran an engine for at least One Million Six Hundred Miles in 30 years. After all that I don't figure on riding much on Passenger trains although I am a strong supporter and hope to see you guys going strong for years to come.
Posts: 53 | From: Kansas City, Missouri USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littletrain
Member # 2660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for littletrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while im only 15 i think i have got a good amount of train travel, 8,025 miles. all but 141 on the coast starlight. every summer i have gone glendale to oakland, though this year its just glendale to san jose, but im the only kid i know that enjoys train traval.
Posts: 117 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
On my Montana Rockies Rail Tour riding the Montana Daylight I passed 761,000.0

Chris

PS Story should be on the web site by Saturday Night.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

ritchie
Member # 1757

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ritchie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i live in Aussie and I've chalked up 17000 miles,over 16500 in sleepers since 1997
Posts: 5 | From: australia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Impressive, ChrisG. 761,000 ? Wow! My family thinks I'm a train buff, even though My most recent "long" train trip was this past March, going from RDW to FTL and return. Prior to that, I hadn't taken a long trip for over a decade.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
21,000 miles, but we had a 20-year lapse in train travel before starting again a few years ago.
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i finally tallied up my miles on MileTrak. I used all the trips that I could remember since 1982. Comes out to 12247 miles thus far.
I'll be adding about 350 - 400 miles or so this weekend when i travel to SE Wisconsin for my brother's wedding.

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm now up to 16,206 miles on a total of 69 Amtrak Trains since 1996. I keep my mileage record on my web site. My next trip, later this week will add another 1676 miles to that total riding another 5 trains.

Geno Dailey's Amtrak Photo Archive: http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix

Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page