RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » How Many Miles Do You Have?? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How Many Miles Do You Have??
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Guenzler, would you have a problem granting an interview with general circulation media when you "crack the M'?

I think such would be great story; and I'm certain this Forum has 'resources' i.e. Members with contacts in the "OC", and maybe even the LA, media community,

Even if I'm not all that much of a traveler myself anymore, I think you are a one courageous guy in this life, and if you want it, you certainly deserve general circulation media recognition of your upcoming milestone.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be the guest tomorrow on Lets Talk Trains the Internet Radio Program on world Talk Radio
10-1 Pacific Time or 12-3 Central time live. In the archieves of Lets Talk Trains 24/7 at their web site show under showlist for that date. A window media player is needed to listen.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

There is a link to LTT on my front page. Click listen now during show times there to here the show or access the chat room.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I have been traveling on Amtrak since 1986 when our oldest son moved to San Diego. Another son then moved to a Minneapolis suburb. Both have families. We've been on all the long distance routes, some many times.

Current mileage accumulation is 269,047. Cross country trips pile up the totals fast! That figure includes two trips on ViaRail Canada: the Canadian westward and the Ocean both ways in the east.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I passed my 985,000 rail mile on Metrolink 608 near Stuart Mesa on 2/20/07. 15,000 more to go!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you willing to share, Mr. Guenzler, where you plan to pass your M?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some railfans of a certain age, those 70 or over, might remember "E.M. Frimbo," the pen name of Rogers E.M. Whitaker, who wrote about trains for the New Yorker. Before he died in 1981, he claimed an official mark of 2,748,636.81 miles on railroads throughout the world. And he said he was a few years behind in his arithmetic.

As for me, I have somewhere between 32,000 and 35,000 miles, mostly in those 16 Zephyr trips I took in 1992-93 for my book on that train. And I enjoyed every single mile mightily.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
The day will be April 27th, 2007 on the Southwest Chief on the way to La Plata for the major celebration at the Depot Inn & Suites. Yes, I do
interviews as you can tell on the front page of my web site where there are two. I wil leave LAX on April 25th and plan to do it east of Kansas City.

Chris

tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chris, make sure someone wakes me up back in coach that morning!

--------------------
Remember no matter where you go, there you are - Buckaroo Bonzai

Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
990,000.0 rail miles passed this morning on 571
just north of CP Ponto.

Chris

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
I passed my 1,000,000.0 rail mile at MP 425.5 of the BNSF Marceline Sub on the Missouri River Bridge east of Sibley, Mo at 8:26 AM.

Chris

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now have 1,030,916.4 as I sit at the Depot Inn
& Suites in La Plata.

Chris

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Since it has been a while I'm at 1,270,025.8 rail miles as of 10/28/2010.

Chris

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris, would you kindly stop that and let the rest of us try to catch up? Thank you.
Henry (puffing)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris,
I'm doing a little math here and I'm reading that you've been roughly 240,000 miles in 34 months? That's about 7,000 miles per month, every month, 34 times. Mind boggling!

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
I just bought this post back so anyone who hadn't posted could or update their again. It not who has the most but that everyone who rides is very special in my book.

Chris

Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently passed 300,000 miles and am now at 300,587. Hard to believe, but I have it all documented. Mileage is taken from Amtrak timetables, which I presume are accurate enough. A very small part of my mileage is on ViaRail Canada.

Another cross-country trip is coming up shortly.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my railroad map project, I have found that AMTRAK timetable mileages are only accurate to approximately 5-10 miles, depending on the route...........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is why I only use official railroad timetables.

Chris

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just reached 134,000 aboard the Silver Star Saturday. My biggest events in 2010 included the Spencer-Asheville excursion in October and a Sacramento-Denver ride on #6 in May. Also had a day at the Cumbres & Toltec, my favorite railfan destination, in July.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Steve Grande passed his 300,000.0 Rail Mile on his way home from La Plata. He did it near Dalies 3.4 miles east of that location on the way to Albuquerque.

Chris

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
I passed my 1,333,000.0 Rail Mile on Janauary 13, 2012.

Chris

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I lived in Southern California, I think I'd find a reason to take the train to either San Diego or San Luis Obispo nearly every weekend!

I now stand at 137,147 miles. Highlights for 2011 included the Cascade Talgo, Coast Starlight, and San Diegan this past June.

Threads about 2012 plans coming soon!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it's getting close to 10,000 miles. My wife and I take the Surfliner to either San Diego and Santa Barbara a few times a year. The longest trip was Los Angeles to San Antonio to New Orleans to Memphis to Chicago to Denver to San Fransisco the back to L.A. This took about three weeks with stays in all mentioned cities and cost me about $3500 not counting beer money.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to Chris and everyone!

I'm adding it up and getting 141,561 miles, but that includes 1 RT Montreal to Quebec, 3 1-way Montreal to Ottawa, 1 1-way Toronto to Montreal, and 1 1-way Jasper to Vancouver, all on VIA; plus 3 trips on the section of the Maple Leaf that is really VIA (Niagara Falls ON to Toronto); plus 1 1-way Vancouver-Banff on Rocky Mountaineer.

Also, re local trips in NYS from some time back, I had to estimate those and may have undercounted or overcounted a tad.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
sojourner that is fantastic keep it up!

Chris

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
I'm at 1,337,020.9 for now but have cut back my riding to rest up for my Winterail Trip leaving at 4:24 AM from Santa Ana on Friday. I'mdoing a show Friday night at the Pizza Pary. Stop by and introduce yourself to me if you are attending.

Chris

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Reached mile 138,000 shortly west of Cumberland, MD on the Capitol Limited last Saturday evening. Padded the total a bit riding on to Chicago and then with a brief ride out to the western suburbs on a Metra Commuter.

Coming up in 2012 - maybe some spring rides on NCDOT's Piedmonts, a railfan jaunt to Colorado's narrow gauges, a July ride on the Southwest Chief ABQ-CHI with the family, and perhaps on the AAPRCO Special Asheville, NC - Chattanooga, TN in September. Ought to put me comfortably over 140,000 by winter.

--------------------
David Pressley

Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David - if you'll be coming through Denver enroute to the narrow gauges here in CO, I hope we can find time to get together.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
Steve Grande passed his 300,000.0 Rail Mile on his way home to La Plata.

Does Steve live in La Plata now?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ira Slotkin:
David - if you'll be coming through Denver enroute to the narrow gauges here in CO, I hope we can find time to get together.

Ira

I would like that Ira but we won't be in Denver on this trip........ going in and out of Albuquerque this time and not getting nearer than Canon City.

I am hoping to get back to Denver no later than July 2013 though...... perhaps sooner as I'd like to use Denver as a jumping off point for my next AGR points solo venture.

--------------------
David Pressley

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
No Steve is spliting his time now in Anaheim Hills his home and Vancouver, Wa.

Chris

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh okay---"home to La Plata" is what threw me off.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Please feel free to update your rail mileage here.
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
I passed my 1,350,000.0 Rail Mile on Sunday July 1 crossing Magnolia Ave in Riverside.

Chris

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
If anyone else wants to post their rail mileage no matter how great or small please feel free to do so.

Chris

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would post mine, if I had kept track of it............
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

My plan to do so, RRRich, went off the rails long ago.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
After the first year or two, so did mine!!
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I'm game -

Currently stand at 141,152 and over the last 6-8 years have been averaging about 4,000 miles a year.

That breaks down into 2 or 3 overnight Amtrak trips, 8-10 joyrides on the NCDOT Piedmont trains, and another 2-4 foamer daytrips each year.

Next up - maybe a midweek joyride on the Piedmont and then adding some rare mileage riding the AAPRCO Convention Special Asheville, NC - Chattanooga, TN in late September.

--------------------
David Pressley

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Disclaimer - there is NO WAY that my figure is accurate. I have never attempted to calculate to the 10th of a mile and while I do count light rail and interurban mileage, I do not count miles ridden on 'subway' systems such as the DC Metro or Atlanta MARTA. I also don't count miles accumulated on 'toy trains' in amusement parks running on anything less than a 2-foot gauge.

--------------------
David Pressley

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page