RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » How Many Miles Do You Have?? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How Many Miles Do You Have??
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just returned from another Spring Break trip to visit the relatives in Florida. that puts my total, according to Miletrak, at 18042 miles. (See my trip report in the "Travel" section of this forum) Wow. One or two long trips per year, plus a few cross-state ones to visit other realtives a couple times per year, and the mileage really starts to add up.
Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I finally did it too and frankly was a bit disappointed at 18,129. It sure seemed like more than that. http://www.miletrak.com/miletrak.php#31284
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning on the Southwest Chief I passed my 800,000 rail mile just west of the West
Corona Metrolink Station on the return of a Rail Sale Trip to La Junta.

Story lis now postedhttp://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

[This message has been edited by chrisg (edited 04-25-2004).]

[This message has been edited by chrisg (edited 04-28-2004).]

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Chris!
Way to go! Glad it all went so well!
I wish I could have stayed on 'til LA with you to celebrate, but I hope you got your pictures in and celebrated with a Coke! I can't wait to read the story!
~Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MileTrack is indeed a lot of fun. I updated my travels on Amtrak through 1996 and I am up to a little over 30,000 miles. My travels have slowed down some since then, but I'll bet I have another 3000 or so.

Jim

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This MileTrak is a lot of fun. I have logged my amtrak trips through 1996, and am a little over 30,000 Miles. A few more years to add.

Jim

Sorry for the double post, I thought the first one did not take. JF

[This message has been edited by fixj (edited 04-28-2004).]

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of 7/30/2004 I now have 821,684.1 rail miles. http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Just an update for those who care!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chubbes
Member # 3250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chubbes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from 3 monthes tell i was 6years old i went with my dad on "EVERY" trip. so i cant really count

------------------
Jacob's Train Pics[IMG]http://www.jkchubbes.com/Pics/siteheader.gif[/IMG]

Posts: 98 | From: Bakersfield, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
As of 11/7/2004 Chris Guenzler now has
833,198.3 rail miles or 1,288,663.8 kilometers.

Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep Trakin' Chris, congrats!
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the past 30 years I have taken 7 round trips from Miami to Montreal, 11 round trips from Palatka, FL to Vancouver, BC with side trips to Las Vegas, Tucson and San Francisco, 12 roundtrips from Washington, DC to Palatka, FL and 12 round trips from NY to Toronto and 16 round trips from Penn Sta. (NY) to Port Jeffereson, NY or Montauk Point, NY that I remember. You add it up and tell me the mileage! It must something! Maybe I like rain trips.

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Pojon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the past 30 years I have taken 7 round trips from Miami to Montreal, 11 round trips from Palatka, FL to Vancouver, BC with side trips to Las Vegas, Tucson and San Francisco, 12 roundtrips from Washington, DC to Palatka, FL and 12 round trips from NY to Toronto and 16 round trips from Penn Sta. (NY) to Port Jeffereson, NY or Montauk Point, NY that I remember. You add it up and tell me the mileage! It must something! Maybe I like rain trips.

------------------

Posts: 287 | From: Palatka, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pojon
Member # 3080

Member Rated:
Over the past 30 years I have taken 7 round trips from Miami to Montreal, 11 round trips from Palatka, FL to Vancouver, BC with side trips to Las Vegas, Tucson and San Francisco, 12 roundtrips from Washington, DC to Palatka, FL and 12 round trips from NY to Toronto and 16 round trips from Penn Sta. (NY) to Port Jeffereson, NY or Montauk Point, NY that I remember. You add it up and tell me the mileage! It must something! Maybe I like train trips.

------------------

EngineerRichard
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for EngineerRichard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at the urging of ChrisG I am going to humbly post my miles:

16,914 (sorry, no decimals!)

And the majority of those are Amtrak. I also have San Diego Trolley miles which I have recorded the ride but not the miles yet so it will grow a bit once I do that.

In the menatime, ChrisG et al, have a good safe ride anytime!

Richard

------------------
EngineerRichard
Host of
Lets Talk Trains
http://letstalktrains.us

Posts: 3 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a "mileage collector", so miles only count the first time I ride over a route. I don't want to diminish in any way ChrisG's 700,000 miles, but if I had counted all my trips up and down the NEC over the years, plus multiple trips on various Amtrak routes, I'd be well over 100,000 -- and that's just in North America.

I've never even bothered to total my mileage in Latin America, Europe, and Asia (no Africa -- yet, and no Australia either).

Current North American total stands at 65,443 -- out of a North American total of about 200,000 route miles, so I'm closing in on having ridden one-third of the network.

Oh, and about 7,000 miles of that is behind steam.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
This morning 2/20/2005 on Surfliner 571 at MP 215.8 of the San Diego Sub I passed 850,000.0
rail miles.

Chris

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool
Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Chris [Smile]
Your an inspiration to us all!

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MOKSRail
Member # 3163

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MOKSRail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've traveled every extant LD troute west of Chicago in both directions (except Empire Builder WB CHI-SPK and the Sunset route east of SAS) and have been on some routes that the DOT ordered gutted.

Last time I checked I had 27,000 miles under my belt. With my California Zephyr trip last summer, I likely have close to 30,000 miles.

One giant trip in 2000 involved this routing that involved 6 days in a row on the train in sleeper and in coach:

-OKC-FTW
-FTW-SAS
-SAS-LA (Sunset was OT)
-LA-PDX
-PDX-SPK-SPK-PDX-PDX-SEA- SEA-CHI
-CHI-FTW
-FTW-OKC

(car to/from OKC from KCY)

Other trips:
-Osceola, Iowa - Sacramento via Wyoming WB, Glenwood Canyon EB.

-Topeka-Galesburg, Galseburg-SLC-Vegas-LA, LA-Topeka

-Topeka-Las Vegas, N.M., Las Vegas - CHI, CHI-NOL, NOL-CHI, CHI-KCY (straight through trip)

I've also been

-KCY-LA, LA-Oakland
-Osceola, Iowa - SLC and back, three day weekend trip.
-Bakersfield-Oakland
-EMY-OMA-KCY

-KCY-CHI-PGH-PHL (via Three Rivers) RT

-Miami-Rocky Mt., NC - RT two-day trip.

-KCY-Flagstaff.
-Tucson-SAS, SAS-STL, STL-KCY

-FTW-STL, STL-KCY, KCY-Topeka, RT

-Newton, Kan. - Perry, Okla.
(several trips in late 1970s).

Posts: 78 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most will consider the Amazing Chris G. the leader in this "competition." The miles that count here are bought and paid miles, and he has documented his trips with logs, photos, and all kinds of proof. RR employees, of course can amass more than Chris's numbers, but those are different kinds of miles. However, if you look at most lifetime "rails" such as as attendants, or operating crews with 30, 40 or more years, the million to two million figure could easily be reached. Them are a lot of miles!
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today on Surfliner 582 I passed the 865,000.0 rail mile mark.

Chris

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Today September 9, 2005 I passed my 890,000 Rail Mile of Surfliner 785.

http://wwww.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John J. Poshepny
Member # 4088

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John J. Poshepny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 9,500+ over 11 Years of train Travel. I started at Age 4 in 1994 Chicago-Milwaukee.
Posts: 3 | From: Downers Grove, IL BNSF MP21 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C.P.Huntington
Member # 4115

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for C.P.Huntington     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chrisg has asked me several times to post my railroad miles to this board, so here it is:

45872 miles

My last trip was from Santa Ana to Solona Beach
on 10/1/05.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
This morning I passed my 900,000 rail mile at
MP 369.9 on the BNSF Seligam Sub just east of Williams Jct.

A story will be coming later in the week.

http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Cool!

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chrisg, 900000 is great, however MP 437.1 is about nine miles west of Seligman and about 62.5 miles west of Williams Jct.

As they say in China "close enough for tunnel work". This old joke no longer applies to the currently very tech educated chinese. But the old story was: How do you create a tunnel in China? And the answer; 10000 coolies one one side of the mountain and 10000 on the other and if they meet in the middle you have a tunnel. But if they don't you have two tunnels.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
I edited the milepost to the correct number. Thanks Railroad China for catching that mistake for me. I was one tired train rider when I posted.

Chris

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On May 18th, 2006 on Surfliner 595 I passed my 930,000 rail mile 2.0 miles south of Santa Ana.

Chris

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Go Go for the big ONE, Mr. Guenzler
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Short answer, not enough. But, a change of circumstances (all of a sudden, a job with vacation, paid or otherwise) and that's going to change over the next nine months.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see:

LA - Abilene KS 1963, 1967 RT
LA - Newton KS 1972 RT
KC - LA 1973 OW
LA - San Jose 1974 RT
SB-LA 1975, 76, 77, 78 (at least 1 x year, OW)
Lord knows home many Munich-Hamburg, FFM - Munich, Basel Bad BHF- Cologne, FFM-Dortmund ad infinitum on DB 1983-87
OMA-RNO 1997, 1999, 1999 Christmas, 2004
KC-LA 3/4 RT 2001

I guess 45,000 so far... +/-

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has to be the longest-running thread on the forum. Anyway, we're up to 33,001 miles after two Carbondale-Seattle trips since my last posting. And my granddaughter, now 5, has racked up a healthy 10,800 miles on her own. Plus all the running up and down the aisles.
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
On May 18th, 2006 on Surfliner 595 I passed my 930,000 rail mile 2.0 miles south of Santa Ana.

Chris

It seems like yesterday I was reading of your 900,000, tommorow you will be at at a million, Amazing. Keep riding and reporting!

Anton

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From 1980 to 1996 I made 515 round trips for Amtrak as a TA on various long haul routes, ranging from 1000 to 4000 miles per RT. For example, a six day RT run on 4/3 is about 4K. Most of my trips were on the Chief or the Sunset. Using 3000 mi. as a conservative average, that is 1.54M. From '96 to '02, I worked Surfs exclusively. Also I began train riding at 6 months with my mom on the old El Capitans, and today ride regularly both local and cross country on a RTPC card as a retiree (thank you Amtrak!) With my non-employee based RR miles added in, I must be at or beyond 2M. But any full career railroader, either in operations or the service end, can easily accumulate this many miles. Chris G. is still the de-facto leader here in the Great Mileage Chase, as his miles are revenue miles. His million really means a million; perhaps the LA Times can cover his upcoming big day! Or the OC Register...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Today in the last Great Dome on the Amtrak System on Train 785 at MP 200.9 of the Metrolink San Diego Sub I passed 950,000.0 rail miles. For all of you who cares!

Chris

irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go get em chris

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think Mr. Guenzler's upcoming story of exceeding one million non-business rail miles would be newsworthy for a Santa Ana or regional Orange County CA newspaper.

As I may have previously reported here, my lifetime total starting during 1946 is likely about 350K, of which maybe 100K has been logged on Amtrak LD. The rest was pre Amtrak, commuter rail, Corridor, or overseas.

But I don't expect that total to rise appreciably as it seems like my travel today is essentially to fufil family obligations either in New York or Florida. It is simply no longer fun using ANY mode. But I will always feel fortunate in this life I was able to "do it" (will the filter catch that one?) while I was young enough to enjoy it.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Tonight I passed my 975,000 rail mile on Surfliner 589 just south of Irvine.

Chris

PS Dan Dalke passed 275,000 rail miles on the way to LA Plata back in December.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page