RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Santa Ana Branch (Page 2)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Santa Ana Branch
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the 2756 and its oscillating lights -- I think on one end of the unit the lenses are missing, which means they are inoperable, but on the other end, everything looks intact. I have seen several ex-SP and D&RGW units like this, never with their Gyralites working. However, a guy I know actually caught a train with a D&RGW unit on the point with an intact Gyralite about 2 years ago and actually asked the engineer to turn it on, and he did! I don't know...that's probably the only way you could find out if it works on the 2756.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Monday, I saw the Costa Mesa Local heading out at around 8:30 in the morning. The lead unit was the SP 2756 with its oscilating lights intact. Although I've seen it on the road several times, the lights were never on. On that day, however, the middle warning light, minus its red lens, was working. It was really neat to see. Actually got it on video also. Another upgrade on the line is in the works. Yesterday, a new crossing signal was installed at Santa Ana St and Philadelphia St where the line makes an abrupt turn to the south. It looks like they are also installing a signal on the South side of Santa Ana St at the same location. Get your wig wag pictures fast.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just out on Santa Ana St. this afternoon and caught the Marlboro heading out of Anaheim Yard with #2756 in the lead. Yes, it looks like they turned on the "cherry" (minus the lens) this time too. I saw the new signals going up. There were MOW crews installing signals at two locations - Santa Ana & Philadelphia and Olive & South. I did get pictures of the wig-wag again too.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buslady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked out "Rails through the Orange Groves" at the library, great book series.
Looking up this line's history, I didn't realise how old the line is. 1866 or something.
What was that bldg. being restored, it looks like a station, maybe for produce? They should make it a RxR museum for that line. That way I can take kids there on field trips...

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I'm not sure the branch is quite that old, although it's well over 100 years old for sure. SP's first rail lines in OC appeared in early to mid- 1870's, I think. The building that looks like a station, I believe, was once a freight house that received reefer cars. It looks to be about a 1910's to 1920's era building. There used to be several on-line industries right on Santa Ana. St., but most have been shipping by truck for quite some time. However, there is a lumber yard on the street that still receives cars every now and then. I passed by there just a couple of days ago and was surprised to see a center beam flat car by the side of the road on a spur track that I assumed was abandoned. There was a forklift taking lumber off. I went back two days later and the flat car was gone.

And yeah, it would be nice if there was some sort of rail museum on Santa Ana St. I can't think of any other place in OC where there is so much working history.

[This message has been edited by atsf3751 (edited 07-14-2002).]

Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buslady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by atsf3751:
I'm not sure the branch is quite that old, although it's well over 100 years old for sure. SP's first rail lines in OC appeared in early to mid- 1870's, I think. The building that looks like a station, I believe, was once a freight house that received reefer cars. It looks to be about a 1910's to 1920's era building. There used to be several on-line industries right on Santa Ana. St., but most have been shipping by truck for quite some time. However, there is a lumber yard on the street that still receives cars every now and then. I passed by there just a couple of days ago and was surprised to see a center beam flat car by the side of the road on a spur track that I assumed was abandoned. There was a forklift taking lumber off. I went back two days later and the flat car was gone.

And yeah, it would be nice if there was some sort of rail museum on Santa Ana St. I can't think of any other place in OC where there is so much working history.

[This message has been edited by atsf3751 (edited 07-14-2002).]

Maybe that reefer bldg should be a rail museum for the local area, that would be so perfect. That line is fun to watch, you never know if you'll make it in time to see the trains. Last time I was too late!
Yeah there's that lumber shop on the curve that gets a car at least 2 times a week maybe. I've seen a car or two there. When we got our pictures, there was a truck on the track! When we came around to get ahead of the train, it was gone. I wonder if the engineer call the lumber people and tells them to clear the line? It would make sense.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify the vintage of the S.P. Santa Ana Branch. The original line in what is now the I-5 Fwy r-o-w was built between [West] Anaheim and Santa Ana in 1877, after the main line from Firestone Park(L.A. Co.) was built in 1874. However, the "downtown loop" through city streets was not built until 1899. The Anaheim Historical Society has a nice elevated panoramic phograph of Santa Ana Street (undated but likely ca.turn of century) which shows trackage in and along the street along with commercial and other buildings along either side, only the segment showing the downtown depot and Griffith Lumber Co. of which was used in my "Rails Through the Orange Groves"(tnx. for compliment, Buslady). The full photo hangs in the Society's museum in the old Carnegie Library. For detailed building identification, one would need to examine a Sanborne fire insurance map for the period and neighborhood.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 07-18-2002).]

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
You're the author! I LOVE your books. I've got to get my own copies, I'm bummed I gotta take these two back an a week! It's *the* book(s) I wanted to find, glad you did them.I was thinking on doing a photo book on the rails here, both abandoned and running. Maybe...now I got a good digital camera, maybe I can.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveD:
Just to clarify the vintage of the S.P. Santa Ana Branch. The original line in what is now the I-5 Fwy r-o-w was built between [West] Anaheim and Santa Ana in 1877, after the main line from Firestone Park(L.A. Co.) was built in 1874. However, the "downtown loop" through city streets was not built until 1899. The Anaheim Historical Society has a nice elevated panoramic phograph of Santa Ana Street (undated but likely ca.turn of century) which shows trackage in and along the street along with commercial and other buildings along either side, only the segment showing the downtown depot and Griffith Lumber Co. of which was used in my "Rails Through the Orange Groves"(tnx. for compliment, Buslady). The full photo hangs in the Society's museum in the old Carnegie Library. For detailed building identification, one would need to examine a Sanborne fire insurance map for the period and neighborhood.

------------------
Buslady of SoCal
Long Live Crown Coach!

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buslady, once again your appreciation is appreciated. I'm glad the work is still enjoyed by others I left behind. As to your further work in the field, I personally feel that clips like you nade of S.A. Street but of other O.C. operating highlights, spliced together, would be more valuable than another book. Contact me offline for some ideas.
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I found out that the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey circus train used the Santa Ana branch this Monday to deliver the train to the Pond. I understand the train is over a mile long and they used ROAD UNITS to pull it down Santa Ana St! Did anyone get pictures of this? Does anyone know if they will run down Santa Ana St. again when they bring the train back? This would definitely be something to see if they do.

On a side note, a friend of mine told me that the gyralite on the 2756 IS operational, so there's another interesting thing to possibly watch for.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I missed the circus train. I was gone for the last week and a half. The circus is supposed to be here until Aug 4 which is Sunday. Does anyone know how long it takes to break down the circus. I'd sure like to see the train leave town!
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
RBB&B circus train has been coming to Anaheim via S.A. Branch for years. Animal parade used to walk from train on S.A. St. to Pond but that was suspended this year due to disruption by animal rightests, and train was delivered to stubs of old Tustin and S.A. Branches(e/o State College and n/o Katella, respectively). For those who missed seeing the arrival first hand, there is a series of pix covering it coming thru Anaheim(including past wig-wag) by Dave Dodds(alias Steve484) on Trainorders Western Board and a photo survey of the train parked along Cerritos Avenue by Carl@MoKnowsPhotos.com listed on TrainWeb "What's New" listings). Since it is heading for San Diego next(rather than Bay Area as I suggested earlier here, liklihood is that train will be handed off to BNSF in O.C.(e.g., CP College interchange) rather than retrace S.A. Branch again, late the night the last show closes or early the following morning--heads up, keep scanners tuned! Likely it will be too dark for photography unless public agency provides spotlights like New Jersey fire captain/ railfan did recently. For those caught by surprise who want to plan in future, the Circus maintains its own website where the schedule of shows is available for public viewing.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 07-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 07-30-2002).]

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Oops, Next circus venue is San Diego rather than Bay Area, so train will likely be handed off to BNSF in O.C.(e.g. CP College interchange) after loaded on U.P. following close of last show at Pond. I tried several times to edit my original message with this correcting info but even after several hours it didn't seem to 'take'.
Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Buslady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok i want to cry...a HUGE train down the street....i want to see that! Wah! Oh man that would have been something else!
I tried to find where the cars are parked but only found 4 and couldnt get to them. There's nothing by the pond at all.

quote:
Originally posted by atsf3751:
I found out that the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey circus train used the Santa Ana branch this Monday to deliver the train to the Pond. I understand the train is over a mile long and they used ROAD UNITS to pull it down Santa Ana St! Did anyone get pictures of this? Does anyone know if they will run down Santa Ana St. again when they bring the train back? This would definitely be something to see if they do.

On a side note, a friend of mine told me that the gyralite on the 2756 IS operational, so there's another interesting thing to possibly watch for.

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Well fortunately, the train comes the same way every year, so that means if we missed it, it will be back. There is always the remote possibility that it will come back down the branch on its return, but this seems rather unlikely since the next show is in San Diego. My guess is they will just hand it off to BNSF right there in Anaheim.

However, big trains do occasionally make a showing on Santa Ana St. (besides the circus train). Although the locals are typically short, not too long ago I was surprised to see an exceptionally long Marlboro that was 52 cars long. This train was almost the entire length of the street trackage on Santa Ana St. and caused quite a traffic snarl, as the two SW1500s that were pulling it were obviously maxed out and doing only about 5mph, but what a sight! The engines were blasting to high heaven and their hoods were visibly vibrating, and the train behind them just kept coming and coming. I doubt this was just a one-time thing. While it's rare, it will happen again.

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
3751, was the 52-car train on street trackage you saw inbound or out? In my days in O.C I often went 'dumpster diving' at the yard office to retrieve manifests, etc. and wish I had the one for that day. Good info for this OC data collector. Was that also the day you happened to video tape the action(still watching my mailbox, hint, hint).
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
This was an outbound train heading away from Anaheim Yard. Actually, I have never taken video of the Santa Ana Branch. I think bsme25 does, though. I do take a camera with me where ever I go, but on this day I forgot it!!=( It's not digital (should get one) and I don't have a scanner, so posting them on the web is a little difficult.

Actually, I wasn't even out looking for trains that day. I just happened to be coming back from Irvine and decided to take a quick drive down Santa Ana St. just to see if I might get lucky and was surprised by this monster train.

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I went out to Santa Ana St. again today and caught the Marlboro with an SP SW1500 and a UP GP38 leading about 15 or so cars. Unfortunately, the SW1500 had been so badly graffittied that it's entire right side was completely covered.

The wig-wag at Lemon St. was malfunctioning today. I drove past it about 20 minutes before the local pulled out of the yard and it was swinging, and ten minutes after the train passed it was still going. I do hope they fix it.

Road power at the wye was the best I've seen in a long time. Three unrenumbered SP units including a now-rare SD40T-2 tunnel motor (#8305).

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
On Friday the 16th, the Marlboro switcher left Anaheim with a GP38, SW1500 and 51 cars. What a workout those two engines were getting.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Tnx for the note about another record breaker thru Anaheim streets. I'll bet the flanges were screemin' around the curve between Santa Ana and Olive Streets!
Wonder if all those cars were for delivery into the Marboro industrial complex or if some were only being forwarded to South Anaheim for storage or future handling?

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 08-21-2002).]

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Another good-sized train down the Santa Ana Branch this Friday: 33 cars (as opposed to 15 or so regularly). Power was UP 739, a GP38 and UP 1230, a renumbered SW1500 still in SP gray. From what I've seen, it looks like the trains get longer as the week progresses, starting out with only a few cars on Mondays and ending with longer trains on Fridays.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Last evening, the Marlboro switcher returned to Anaheim with the 3 unit set normally seen on the Huntington Beach local. The consist was 1458/524/1079 and 30 cars. The train returned pretty late at 2138. This morning's Costa Mesa local went out with 739, Y1230 and Coastline 1965. Anyone know where that unit may be destined?

On a related topic, the Thursday Aug 22 edition of the Anaheim Bulletin has an article titled, "City Outlines Vision for Anaheim Boulevard." In this article, it talks about the redevelopement plans for that entire area which includes Santa Ana and Olive Streets. In part it states, "One project included in that overlay zone would rehabilitate Santa Ana Street into a pedestrian-friendly residential community. The rehabilitation process would include eventually removing the rail line that runs down the center of the street and increasing landscaping." I wonder if the UP is aware of the city's ambitious plans.

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by bsme25:
Last evening, the Marlboro switcher returned to Anaheim with the 3 unit set normally seen on the Huntington Beach local. The consist was 1458/524/1079 and 30 cars. The train returned pretty late at 2138. This morning's Costa Mesa local went out with 739, Y1230 and Coastline 1965. Anyone know where that unit may be destined?

I've only seen three unit sets on the local one other time, so it's pretty rare that it would happen twice in a row. It looks like there was some power on these trains that doesn't often make it onto the branch, most notably #1458 (GP40, ex-Cotton Belt). Did it still have its SSW reporting marks? If so, that's a rare find. (Of course, I could be wrong, as UP hasn't renumbered everything yet.)

Also notable was Coastline #1965. I'm not sure what you mean by "Coastline," but 1965 in UP's roster is a GP60, ex-SP. Or was this some foreign unit? Either way, another rare visitor to the branch. Hope you got pictures of it.

There also appear to be a number of ballast cars in the yard, possibly loaded with sand destined for the beach.

One final question: Has anyone ever followed the traffic patterns of the lower part of the branch in the area of Santa Ana and Costa Mesa? I've seen the line as far as far as the junction with BNSF at State College, but I'd like to see the rest of it, if it's operated regularly.

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
"Other C.M. customers"
A SPINS book for the territory is helpful for questions like that. Unfortunately I left mine behind in someone else's garage with most of my O.C. collection when I left a few years ago. There are several small customers between Main Street and Fairview.
Mobilis one, which revieves tank cars of oils and chemicals for blending, as I recall.
Mobil and at least one other company recieves covered hoppers of plastic pellets, too, often stored in the old Holly Sugar yard between Warner and Dyer. There were a couple other firms along Standard Ave. for many years, too, including a glass factory which made for some interesting switching in that neighborhood, but they may be gone now.
Don't think the old Greenville Bean Silos are used for anything anymore, but there were several fabricators of various types on spurs just to the west at least as of a few years ago. Hope that encourages you to go down and sniff around a little, and report your observations, of course.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 09-11-2002).]

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Coastline 1965 GP was a white GP7 or 9. It was the same leasing company that displayed a switcher and caboose at Fullerton RR days. I could be wrong as far as the name on the side of the engine. It was Coast something or other and yes I have video of it. The Marlboro swither returned to Anaheim late again (9:50 pm) with a 3 unit set again Y1230/739/524 and 49 cars. It stopped about 10 cars short of clearing Santa Ana Street east of the 5 freeway and stayed there until 10:15 when the Ana Hauler pulled it out.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
COAST RAIL SERVICES, is the name I recall for the firm that displayed at Fullerton, did switching quite a while for the Anaheim reclamation yard, and handles the sand cars at the Seal Beach NAND(old name). I noticed one of its geeps on the base near the Navy's own yellow switcher while crossing the bay entrance on hwy101 a week before Labor Day.
Sorta surprised to read here that it was seen on CM local when HB would make more sense(going or coming for maintenance or other service). Always glad you lads are keeping track of this stuff.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
In response to the ballast cars. They are probably destined for the HB branch. 2 Saturdays ago, a ballast train backed down Santa Ana Street to Ohio street and took the east leg of the wye at Anaheim down the HB branch. It returned empty later that night to Anaheim. I don't know what the power was. The train dumped quite a lot of ballast down the middle of the street, inadvertantly i'm sure. The city, not UP, was seen cleaning up the mess the following week. A lot of old ties are being stacked up at the MOW yard in Anaheim. There looks to be a lot of work being done on one of these branches.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
It's possible that the Marlboro has been coming back very late recently because of trackwork on the branch. I have gone out around 2:30 for the past two days, only to find that the local power was still sitting at the wye. Today I noticed there was a red stop board as well as a derail placed just beyond the end of the street trackage at Vermont & Olive. No work was going on when I passed by, but it looks like they are in the process of digging around the tracks.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The times both the Costa Mesa and Marlboro have been running are not normal. The Costa Mesa Local went out at 6:30 a.m. on Thursday. The Marlboro Switcher went out at 4:15 p.m. today with MP15 Y1458 and 524 (GP38?) and 41 cars. I imagine it returned quite late.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
For those who follow this thread but don't normally visit Trainorders as well, there is a posting there today by "Anaheim Al" describing tie replacement in South Anaheim area (with pix).
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Interesting operations on the Santa Ana Branch today. The Costa Mesa Local left Anaheim this morning at 0630 with 739, Y1230 and 3 loads of lumber. Right on its heels was a large hi rail dual axle truck with one flatcar of ties in tow. Normally the Marlboro Switcher utilizes the Costa Mesa's power upon it's arrival. However, today the Marlboro used SW1500 1226 that the Anaheim Hauler had just brought in this morning. The Marlboro switcher left Anaheim at 1535 with just the 1226 and 22 cars. The train promptly broke down on Santa Ana St with the last car just clearing Harbor Blvd. At just before 1800, the Marlboro started on it's way again. I don't know what transpired down the branch, but at a little after 2100, the now combined Costa Mesa Local and Marlboro switcher with 1226, 739, and Y1230 arrived back in Anaheim. I've never seen this happen before. I assume the Costa Mesa's crew went dead on the law sometime around 1800.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Costa Mesa went out today at 0845 with 3 units 739, Y1230, Y1226 and 15 cars. It's not often I've seen 3 unit sets on this local.
Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
There's a whole bunch of new ties by rancho del rio stables; I happen to look down from the 57 and saw those. I've never seen a train ever on that side of the line, but the other side sometimes a few cars parked.

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
The Marlboro went out yesterday with 739, Y1226, and Y1230 and a single box car. It's the shortest Marlboro I've ever seen.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Wonder what was in that single boxcar to make it heavy enough to merit three units of power, or if they emptied out the complex to bring a big drag back home?
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
T.O. thread re Anaheim & vicinity today:

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today at around 4:30 p.m. the Marlboro Switcher put a loaded center beam flat car on the ground at the lumber yard in Anaheim at Santa Ana and Philadelphia St. The switcher was backing the car into the spur when it appeared to split the switch. Although I didn't witness the incident, I did get to watch them rerail the flat car using scrap lumber and old tie plates. One crew member noted that this was the first time that they had used this switch since that portion of track was rehabilitated a few weeks back.
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that! I was wondering what happened. I got a vid clip of the wigwag going since the train was blocking that area.

Buslady
(changed my handle on here to my coach car I rode on the Sunset)

quote:
Originally posted by bsme25:
Today at around 4:30 p.m. the Marlboro Switcher put a loaded center beam flat car on the ground at the lumber yard in Anaheim at Santa Ana and Philadelphia St. The switcher was backing the car into the spur when it appeared to split the switch. Although I didn't witness the incident, I did get to watch them rerail the flat car using scrap lumber and old tie plates. One crew member noted that this was the first time that they had used this switch since that portion of track was rehabilitated a few weeks back.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Typical local crew ingenuity. I always wondered if that happened periodically. They may have replaced the ties, but seem to have forgotten another essential: BALLAST! Without it, the track will still be very uneven. It still looks horrible, almost like they haven't done anything to it.

[This message has been edited by atsf3751 (edited 10-03-2002).]

Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
When did they take out the track that goes off to the left onto the main line?
One of my mapbooks shows it still there, so it must've been not to long ago? (the map isnt more than a yr old!) It looks like it went thru property where there's a newer bldg...and you can't even tell where it met the main line.

If by any chance you see a black saturn vue with a plate that says "strn vue" that be me. I go over there once in awhile to see if anything interesting's going on...wednesday proved to be the right day.

If I didnt have my non-railfan buddies with me I'd have probably watched them rerail that car...that seems like one hec of a feat to do! Amazing guys!

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page