RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Santa Ana Branch (Page 4)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Santa Ana Branch
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marlboro switcher and Huntington Beach Local ran today. The Marlboro left Anaheim around 1230 and returned at 110. I've only seen the Marlboro run on Sundays a few times before. The HB seems to run every other Sunday or so. Also, the road power on the Wye is solid unpatched SP with a old T2 in the consist.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What days does the HB local typically operate? This is a train I'd like to follow, but I don't what time it leaves Anaheim or whether the frequency is less than daily.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I can tell, the HB local goes on duty at noon and usually heads down the branch at around 1 or 1:30 between the arrival of the Costa Mesa local and departure of the Marlboro switcher. It runs M-F and about every other Sunday. It usually arrives back between 5 and 7 although last night it got back just before 9 p.m. I think it goes down the HB side of the branch from Stanton almost daily and across the Paramount side once or twice a week. Anaheim Al probably knows more specific details.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railsub
Member # 394

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for railsub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the ex-PE branch servicing Paramount. I haven't caught that job as often. Does anyone have a date for the job to start coming in from the LBeach side?

On an aside: a story was related to me about a Humvee service writer at the Cerritos Auto Mall. The story was that, some time ago, a customer brought their Hummer(1) back into the shop complaining of excessive rattling. The SW took the customer for a test ride. Heading east on Artesia, he (purportedly) veered onto the tracks and rode them to Studebaker. At which point he inquired of the customer: "Did the rattle sound like that?"

Posts: 20 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's anything I saw an empty ballast train going thru Santa Ana by Lincoln.I saw it parked waiting for the Surfliner to clear, I stopped grabbed the camera and got a video clip! Must been doing more work on the Santa Ana tracks?
Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Darn, missed the ballast train. I thought they were done ballasting the entire branch. What kind of power did it have? What time did you see it?
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Today, Wednesday the 11th, I saw 18 ballast hoppers at South Anaheim. Two visiting GP38's were on adjacent tracks.

I don't know if they were empties or loads.

~ ~ ~

I used to call these storage tracks just north of Katella, "Beer Alley" when Coors occupied the warehouse on Lewis Street and rec'd 4 to 8 boxcars a day of brew. Harbor Distributing has taken over the operation, but does not ship by rail.

~ ~ ~

follow the links below to see the hoppers and SP 4859 and SP4838 at South Anaheim.
http://members.trainorders.com/anaheim-al/ballast-anh-3442-c60.jpg
http://members.trainorders.com/anaheim-al/sp4859-anh-3472-c60.jpg

~ ~ ~

Brian's post on the HB times are about what I have observed. They depart as early as 12:30pm

anaheim-al

------------------
photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The crew hopping aboard a few minutes ago, just before 7:30am. Destination unknown.

Time for work...

------------------
photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bsme25:
Darn, missed the ballast train. I thought they were done ballasting the entire branch. What kind of power did it have? What time did you see it?

I thought they were done too! Maybe it came from more southward? I couldnt figure out where!

Lesse...it was about 2.45pm crossing 17th @ Lincoln, SNA. The ballast cars are assumed empty since I couldnt see any rock piled high. I wasnt sure what kind of hoppers there were til I saw the ballast chutes under the cars. Pulled by a couple SP marked engines, I didn't catch what kind. I was on the way to get my son from school .... so it was kinda last minute to get it recorded.
I'll send you the clip if you want.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by dash-al:

Today, Wednesday the 11th, I saw 18 ballast hoppers at South Anaheim. Two visiting GP38's were on adjacent tracks.

I don't know if they were empties or loads.

~ ~ ~

That's sounding like the one I saw in Santa Ana! I wasnt sure of the engines but GP38 sounds about right. They were older I knew thay much!

railsub
Member # 394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railsub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw the HB local heading back to the wye yesterday at 310pm. Didn't get to post it in time... had to attend a Christmas Play.

Marty

Posts: 20 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member

I dunno if it has anything to do with the locals, I was on the 605 yesterday going south and off to my right I spot lights, it was a pair of SP marked engines pulling those ballast hoppers, empties, plus some usual boxcars. I was just wondering if it was one one the trains leaving the anaheim area going out to some UP yard or something.

I know where they are doing work on the Santa Ana branch, along Alton. I spotted (while driving my bus as usual) a MOW machine on the line parked, I think it was a tamper. I didnt note if the ballast was new or not. Didn't look like it.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Marlboro Switcher ran for the second Sunday in a row. It left Anaheim with the Huntington Beach local's power at 12:50 with 10 cars and returned 35 minutes later as light power. It's especially fun seeing a local run on weekends as kids throughout the neighborhood run outside to wave as the train passes by. I'm wondering what determins the running of a Sunday local. Sure would like to see it more often.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ballast train you saw off the 605 was probably heading toward the junction at Los Nietos (Pico Rivera). For those who have never been down there, this is the junction where the road trains come in off the UP line through Whittier and where the Whittier/La Habra Branch splits with the Santa Ana Branch. Oftentimes there are several engines or even a whole train tied up here.

The MOW equipment normally ties up on a spur on the Huntington Beach Branch just off of Beach Blvd. I was wondering where they went. Guess that answers it.

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by atsf3751:
The ballast train you saw off the 605 was probably heading toward the junction at Los Nietos (Pico Rivera). For those who have never been down there, this is the junction where the road trains come in off the UP line through Whittier and where the Whittier/La Habra Branch splits with the Santa Ana Branch. Oftentimes there are several engines or even a whole train tied up here.

The MOW equipment normally ties up on a spur on the Huntington Beach Branch just off of Beach Blvd. I was wondering where they went. Guess that answers it.

Hada feeling that one train was out of Anaheim.
I dunno about that MOW unit, just a tamper(me thinks) sitting there by itself on Alton between Bristol & Fairview.

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to know some old ex-PE trackage getting upgraded in O.C. Catenary next?
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Huntington Beach and Marlboro switchers were Sunday-Friday jobs and usually work Sundays until this year. Now it seems to be hit or miss and usually only one operates and perhaps none. I would assume that the jobs are advertised as 6 day a week jobs, but work Sundays only if the is enough work or important work to be done.
Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A short thread on t.o. board indicates the wigwag at Lemon/Santa Ana Streets in Anaheim was struck by a drunk driver earlier this week but that it was relatively undamaged. Any O.C Branch watchers have any more to add?
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Rest assured, the wig-wag is no worse for wear. It's still swinging away. Guess Magnetic Signal Co. built 'em to last! I was out watching the Marlboro this afternoon, and got shots of it passing by the wig-wag. Power was two unusually clean UP SW1500's and 21 cars.

[This message has been edited by atsf3751 (edited 12-18-2002).]

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
I must have just missed you... I was a few minutes behind the Marlboro. The light was looking good... any good images??

-al de anaheim

------------------
photography is my elixir

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just received the Fall 2002 issue of "Update" Central Anaheim Anaheim Redevelopment Agency publication. Under the headline, "Santa Ana Street Undergoes Changes." The Agency is developing a strategic revitalization plan for transformation of Anaheim's antiquated downtown industrial properties with vibrant and pedestrian friendly residential developments with complementing commercial uses. As part of this endeavor, the Agency has conceptualized improvments to Santa Ana Street with new "Boulevard" style housing and lush streetscape improvements with new medians and parkways, ultimately extending from Harbor Boulevard to East Street.

The two artistic renderings of this transformation shows a tree lined median down Santa Ana Street with formal street tree canopy...whatever that is. Absent from these rendering are the UP railroad tracks. As much as these improvements will increase property value, I hope the street trackage stays. There is no timetable for this transformation.

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by bsme25:
Just received the Fall 2002 issue of "Update" Central Anaheim Anaheim Redevelopment Agency publication. Under the headline, "Santa Ana Street Undergoes Changes." The Agency is developing a strategic revitalization plan for transformation of Anaheim's antiquated downtown industrial properties with vibrant and pedestrian friendly residential developments with complementing commercial uses. As part of this endeavor, the Agency has conceptualized improvments to Santa Ana Street with new "Boulevard" style housing and lush streetscape improvements with new medians and parkways, ultimately extending from Harbor Boulevard to East Street.

The two artistic renderings of this transformation shows a tree lined median down Santa Ana Street with formal street tree canopy...whatever that is. Absent from these rendering are the UP railroad tracks. As much as these improvements will increase property value, I hope the street trackage stays. There is no timetable for this transformation.

I remember reading the same thing, it STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!! They should keep the rails there, the kids like it!

The city does have to take in account those businesses that use the rails. Don't they have to make sure there's access for the railcars to get to those locations? It's not like the tracks a rarely used.

Up early for a trip yesterday, saw the 2 1500s beside the 5, getting ready to take the train over the street.

LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally took a long lunch today, and went exploring, to get the lay of the applicable land. Didn't catch any action save a northbound Surfliner at Vermont. I drove past the wig-wag twice; while the bottom of the face plate is bent to the front, and shows some rust, the rest of the device looks fine. There is a pole right in front of the base of the wig-wag that shows impact damage; might have been a stop sign. The base looked fine.

I drove by the wye; it's been too long; from where did that two storey industrial building spring on the west side? A couple of cuts of cars visible, and 3 engines parked:

(If Altamont Press CA 13 is accurate)
SP SD40M-2 patched UP 2672
UP SD40-2 2787
SP SD40M-2 8635, not patched, but lots of graffiti

The crossing arm lights at Ball were activated both directions, but the arms were up. If anyone wants to call UP, that was still happening between 1:10 and 1:20 p.m. today.

While driving down Santa Ana Boulevard, one can see a few obvious low or settling spots in the rails. Also evident is a lot of asphalt piling up just off the outer edge of the rails. How is track like this maintained?

Thanks to Anaheim Al and everyone else for piquing my interest. While Fullerton is great for fast through freights, and passenger action, this is as good, because of the difference.

Anyone have any plans after Christmas and before New Years? Will the locals be running the 26/27th and 30/31st?

Thanks again!

Posts: 16 | From: Lake Forest, CA. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

Rumors have been spread previously regarding the demise of the street trackage. The city wants to remove them, plain and simple. I recall seeing their removal in their 'master plan' for the city.

As far as rail customers are concerned, a possible scenario would be that the Marlboro (Weyerhauser, Hobbs Trucking-OC Register newsprint, Ganahl Lumber, Seville and Foamex) and the CM (LA Times, Behr and Reliable Lumber) jobs could be run out of Los Nietos via Metrolink rails ( ?? ).

Could the HB local then be run from the San Pedro branch once that connector is in ??

Who knows... ??

~ ~ ~

I would assume the locals will be running, but that is an assumption on my part.

al de anaheim

------------------
photography is my elixir

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
The locals run every weekday save for holidays. Most likely, they won't run either the 24th or the 25th, so that means they will probably be making up for lost ground on the following days. The locals could be really long on these days.

The street trackage is maintained in a very simple way: do nothing until absolutely necessary and then rip up the road and repair the street. Somewhat inconvinient for motorists, but it gets the job done.

As for Anaheim's planned "upgrades," I certainly hope UP will put up a fight. It would be neat to see Santa Ana St. declared a historical landmark, but I doubt that will happen. I don't see how all those industries would continue to be served if they closed the street trackage, unless BNSF took over the remaining customers and you know UP would never allow that. I suppose they could operate via trackage rights over BNSF all the way from Los Nietos, but you know BNSF would not make it easy for UP to have that, especially with the congestion already existing on their line. I'm sure UP is aware of Anaheim's plans and hopefully will fight them. There are certainly ways to have an "upscale" street and still have trains run down the middle. Think Jack London Square.

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

Here is the current power duo that has been running on the Marlboro and the Costa Mesa job. They share the same power each day.
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1429&size=big&papass=

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traffic to the Huntington Beach area should not be affected by the removal of the street trackage, if it happens. The Huntinton Beach switcher do not use that trackage. The plan is for the UP to stop using the track between Paramount and Stanton when the connection with the San Pedro Branch is in service. The cities along the old PE want the freight service to end.
An interesting idea (but not likely)to avoid conjestion on the BNSF San Berdoo Sub if the UP started using it to connect with their trackage if the street trackage was removed is to enter the BNSF at Basta and use the UP branchline to Los Nietos.

Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked out the west/south end today, on the way back to the office from an errand. Does anyone know the history of the derelict mine engine and passenger car behind National Casein? MOW crews were working north and south of Edinger.

Peace to all,

Posts: 16 | From: Lake Forest, CA. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Landon, when you report MOW work north&south of Edinger, should we assume you are speaking of the Huntington Beach Branch or the Costa Mesa Branch in S.A. (as depicted by Anaheim Al so elegantly a few weeks ago)?
If the Casein Co. referred to is the one off MacArthur, the equipment mentioned is privately owned and the passenger car is under rennovation, hence comes and goes for special work offsite, affording the occassional impression of a mixed train on that line

LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, hoisted on my own petard of specificity...

Costa Mesa Branch in Santa Ana.

I hereby warn everyone that I plan on railfanning the UP locals in the area after Christmas.

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Hey Landon, drop me a note if you might a like to have railfan companion along. I am off between 12-24 and 1-5, my wife has all sorts of "stuff" planned for me, but I am planning on several days of trackside time.

I think you have my email, but here it is again, jeff@yayax.com

here is a link to the UPRR site regarding schedules over the holidays.
http://www.uprr.com/customers/holidaysched_1225.shtml

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

john1082
Member # 2068

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for john1082     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That passenger car behind the building on MacArthur appears to be a former ATSF obs car, perhaps one of the shorty Superintendent's cars. The roof above the platform is cut up and thecar appears to have been in MOW service in the past. Will take plenty of TLC to ever get it off that siding again.
Posts: 37 | From: Orange, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The passenger car and engine in question have been sitting in that siding since at least mid-1998. I worked from 1995 through late 1998 on Hyland, and I remember the car being there while I worked up there.

Now I have to figure how to keep my scanner on the desktop in my (low-walled) cubicle at work without annoying everyone around me...

"Uh, boss, I have an urgent project meeting.. be back in two hours... yes, I need the scanner for the meeting, honest..."

If wishes were iron horses,

Landon

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Earpiece, Landon, earpiece.
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spotted a local today around midday going down Lincoln. About 5-7 cars I think.
It is so cool to see the pair of SW1500s cruisin down the line.

As you all know I'm pretty much a rookie, what gives the Marlboro it's name? I don't think there's a cig factory around here. What are all the other locals and why are they called what they are?

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
That must have been the Huntington Beach local, because I saw the Marlboro this afternoon and it had 20 cars. Most of the locals around here are named for the branch line they serve or where they originate from. I believe the Marlboro gets its name from the industrial complex that it switches, but don't quote me on that.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Marlboro is the name of the station along the Tustin Branch where the industrial lead to the north takes off. I never discovered the basis of SP giving the name to that point and don't believe it was ever marked by a structure of any kind, only a siding just west of the former SFe Olive Sub crossing. One interesting bit of geography within the complex thus served are two streets named Southern and Pacific which intersect in its interior.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 12-24-2002).]

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
ATSF- I forgot to mention Lincoln in Santa Ana crossing 17th, I usually see locals there because our bus yard is right around the corner and I think I 'live' there more than my own place!

The Southern / Pacific roads remind me up here in Rancho Sta Marg. there's an intersection of Antonio & Banderas.....

on a side note, i think it's interesting that this subject is very popular...4 pages and going since march!

[This message has been edited by coach34135 (edited 12-24-2002).]

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Another interesting book that has some history on the Santa Ana branch is the recent publication "Southern Pacific in Los Angeles" but Larry Mullaly and Bruce Petty. It includes a map of all of SP's OC branch lines in 1900. At one time, the Costa Mesa portion of the Santa Ana branch extended all the way down to Newport Breach and then ran along the coast as far as Huntington Beach, then turned inland and headed north, almost but not quite reaching the Los Alamitos branch.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Actually the Costa mesa section of the Santa Ana Branch extended directly to Huntington Beach as P.E.'s cross county line. The extension to Newport Beach was built by SA&NRR about 1891, extended up coast and inland to Smeltzer in 1897, acquired by S.P. at turn of century and extended further all the way to Stanton on Los Alamitos Branch by S.P.in 1907. Just a few clarifications for the faithful on Xmas 2002!
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page