RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Santa Ana Branch (Page 12)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Santa Ana Branch
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday's Costa Mesa went out with 19 cars...today's Costa Mesa went out with a single center beam flat. The UPY 1042 has been replaced with UPY 1115 a very clean patched SP SW1500.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A look at the past for the Orange County Rwy Historical Society newsletter by Clifford Prather

Derailment of 1542
Unfortunately many of the railroad items that appear in the press involve accidents. In this article that included photos, the Southern Pacific Santa Ana Local with the Baldwin S12 1542 and a caboose plus six cars derailed at Katella Ave in Anaheim. The ill-fated train was struck by a gravel truck that caused the 7:45 AM derailment and in the process created a large loop of rail in the air. The date of this event was in the early to mid 1960s, however the exact date was not documented by the young collector.
During the period of time that this accident occurred there were several trains that used the SP to Santa Ana. In the morning the SP local would run down from Anaheim and switch the industries in Santa Ana and down to Dyer (Warner Ave area) where the Holly Sugar factory was. Between Santa Ana and Dyer was the Kerr Glass factory that received sand and shipped carloads of product. The Pacific Electric train to South Santa Ana and Costa Mesa used the SP line to Dyer after the PE’s line through Santa Ana was abandoned around 1958. The PE normally used SP switch engines in the 4600 series (TR6A) and operated out the joint SP-PE yard at Los Nietos in the afternoon. The PE crew would often go to beans (meal break) at Pop’s Steak House on 4th Street in Santa Ana.
The SP operated a perishable hauler that picked up reefers loaded with citrus or vegetable during the evening and then moved then to a location to be picked up by a through freight. The SP had anumber of Baldwin switcher assigned to Anaheim, plus some EMD models such as NW2s and SW8s. There was a vegetable shipper at Dyer that would be switched by the Perishable Hauler. The railroad was operated by yard limit rules and the locals could move around without authority of a dispatcher. This created some interesting moments when the PE was returning from Costa Mesa and the hauler was heading to Dyer.
A seasonal operation was the sugar beet train to the sugar factory at Dyer. The operation varied from time to time with sometimes the train that delivered the beets switching the beet dump during day or an engine assigned to Santa Ana doing the switching and another train delivering the loads and pulling the empties. Eventually, Holly Sugar purchased SP 1000 (SW1) and used to switch the beet dump as Holly Sugar 1.

Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The image link below shows the Costa Mesa local at CP College, waiting its turn to get onto the main. This was the December 1st job, a longer train than normal, probably due to the holiday. Five lumber loads and eleven boxcars. Power for the local was UP 1400 (formerly Cotton Belt SSW 7645, a GP40-2) and UPY 1115 (formerly SP 2530, an SW1500)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=41299

December 2nd's Hauler featured three SD60s for power. There were unit numbers UP 2210, UP 6338, and UP 2294. 6338 stood out as one of the 6300 series locomotives that the paint had an adhesion problem. Similar to UP 6331, seen in this link. http://www.yayax.com/gateway/up6331.htm

[This message has been edited by dash-al (edited 12-03-2003).]

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Myford, great information. Judging by this information and the reference material from Steve Donaldson's writings, this was a pretty busy and important line in its heyday. It must have been pretty interesting to see all that action. Steve gave me a copy of the SP Industrial Numbering book which details every spur along the branch in the mid 80's. It's amazing how much has changed and how few industries there are compared to 20 yrs ago. It must have been something to see in the 50's and 60's. I still feel fortunate to be able to see four trains a day during the week on this line and an occasional Sunday surprise.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" I still feel fortunate to be able to see four trains a day during the week on this line and an occasional Sunday surprise."
and I feel fortunate to have you guys report on them w/ or w/o pix., from 500 miles away

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-al's branch observations:

Didn't see anything moving today as I toured parts of the Santa Ana Branch. Long Pass, the Extension and the Buena Park storage tracks all filled with loads. Two odd open hoppers (one a DRGW) at the west end of Long Pass. The rest were the standard bill of fare.

~ ~ ~

Plenty of power, everywhere...

Hauler Power on the Anaheim wye:
Six SD60s, all UP. 6329, 6331, 2514, 2510, 6106, and 2429.

Local Power on the engine track:
Four switchers, the aforementioned and photographed patched UPY 1115 and patched UP 1400; then two yard engines in UP colors, a GP15 (??) and a SW1500, road numbers not noted.

Buena Park job:
Three units, patched SP GP40P-2 (UP 1374), patched SP SW1500 (UP 1219), and lastly, UPY 1042 (formerly WP 1503).

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Monday's Anaheim Branch Events:

Today’s Anaheim Hauler had 3 unpatched SP SDs, a very rare event as of late. 8598/8685/8578

The Costa Mesa Local left Anaheim at 0703 with 19 cars and returned at 1125 with a more typical 7 cars. At it's departure time, there was heavy fog necessitating a slow crawl along Santa Ana St. and plenty of whistle blowing.

The illusive returning Huntington Beach Local returned to Anaheim at 1034 with a single tank car. I don't think it's running daily Monday-Friday anymore.

The Marlboro Local left Anaheim at 1458 with 28 cars and returned after dark at 1835 with 16 cars.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As reported on Monday, the Costa Mesa Local left Anaheim with 19 cars. That number tapered off as the week went by. Today (Friday), the Costa Mesa Local left Anaheim at 0555 with only 1 boxcar and returned at 0720 as light power. The Huntington Beach Local has consistently been running with only 2-4 cars in its consist. Listening to the radio traffic, all the locals are now using the "LOA" terminology except when talking to the Metrolink dispatcher. That's the only time I hear the old "Costa Mesa" and "Marlboro" names used anymore.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Yesterday's (Weds) Costa Mesa Local left Anaheim at 0520 with only a few TOE boxcars in tow, did some switching around South Anaheim and returned back before 0700 never making it down the Santa Ana branch. Today's Costa Mesa also left with a few TOE boxcars and did some switching around South Anaheim before heading down the branch. I'm wondering if these were time sensitive shipments or if the Costa Mesa was just helping out the Marlboro?
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

Those TOE boxes are generally for the Weyerhauser plant on Ball Road. I noticed a string of maybe eight boxcars on the storage tracks at South Anaheim. I hope they are starting to pump up some volume. The locals seem to be getting shorter and shorter.

I did notice the CM returning around 10:00am, I think. They had grey hoppers and GW boxcars in tow.

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.C. dead all holidays?
I know A.A. has traveled north, but no one else has posted anything on Western page since before Xmas either?

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On 12-30--3 I was at the Orange depot to see a few trains pass. Around 2:45 I noted that the DS had cleared a westbound signal for a LA bound Surfliner, Red over Green indication. A few minutes later I noted that the signal indication changed to Red over flashing yellow. This told me that the second signal beyond Orange had changed to Red. This signal is the signal that protects the UP Tustin Branch (or what ever it is called now)and perhap the Marlboro had requested permission to cross and the DS decided there was time to knock down the route on the Metrolink line and time out the signals to allow the UP to cross before the Surfline arrived at CP College. I headed over to see if I was correct and discovered the Marlboro with thw 1400 and 1115 switching Ganahl Lumber. They spotted some cars and pulled pulled 5 center beams. This was all the work that they had east of the Metrolink crossing for the day and re crossed the Metrolink line after waiting for the Surline and just before a Metrolink train
Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
The Marlboro ran today, Sunday the 4th of January. They brought back 20 empties just before 4:00pm. Power continues to be a patched pair, UPY 1115 and UP 1400. Before heading over to the wye, I was able to observe switching on the runaround track near Ganahl Lumber as they switched Diversified.

Two sets of hauler power were on the wye, with an unpatched Southern Pacific SD40-2 as the lead locomotive, SP 8645. Grey primer covers the long hood to cover graffiti. The unpatched power seems to always end up in Anaheim ?? Also on the wye were UP 8687, a snoot nosed tunnelmotor and UP 1909, a standard cab GP60.

~ ~ ~

Silgan Plastics on Cerritos Avenue appears to be moving, with an "available" sign on the property. Silgan receives grey hoppers of plastic pellets.

Lastly, the Quik-set facility at the corner of Olive Street and Santa Ana Street is being demomolished. The parking structure is gone, with the main buildings next.

[This message has been edited by dash-al (edited 01-04-2004).]

[This message has been edited by dash-al (edited 01-04-2004).]

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
It was good seeing the Marlboro running on a Sunday. Both the long pass and extension had been filling up with freight. The locals have not been running during the holidays and holiday eves but the Haulers have been bringing in cars just about every day so it seemed logical for the Marlboro to run. It went out at 1350 with 32 cars and as Jeff mentioned in the previous post, returned with 20 cars just before 1600. The last time the Marlboro ran on a Sunday was July 27, 2003.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Ahhhhh, life breathed into my old O.C. branches again. tnx, fellas
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Monday's Costa Mesa Local went out with 34 cars! Anything over 15 is newsworthy. Out of the 34 cars, 21 were destined for the LA Times Plant. Today's Costa Mesa Local went out with 19 cars, 10 of which were destined for the Times Plant. Although I'd like this trend to continue, I'm sure it's all due to the down time of the locals during the holidays.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Monday this week I followed the Marlboro with UP (SP) 1400 and UPY (SP) 1115. 19 cars including 6 tank cars, it went all the way to Orange and switched Foamex. It got dark before it left the plant, so I left as well.

Yesterday's Marlboro had 20 cars and UP 1400 and 1115 for power. South Anaheim is getting pretty full with empty boxcars all over the place.

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
An Orange resident reports to me that he observed the Marlboro heading back to Anaheim Friday night with ten tank cars.
Branch Line "Cans" return to O.C.

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
On Monday, 1-12-2004, I saw one, maybe two, steel coil cars on the Marlboro heading towards Orange. I tried to track them down after work, but came up empty. Does anyone know where these cars may have went ?? I have seen coil cars at the end of the tracks near Freedom Way ( ?? )in Orange. That was probably about two years ago. I recall an air conditioning duct manufacture mentioned as a rail customer.

~ ~ ~

SP 8655 (SD40-2) and SP 2718 (MP15AC ??) were on the wye earlier today, both unpatched and looking marvelous !! A photo of 8655 is at the link below. Two patched SP locomotives continue on daily assignment for the Costa Mesa and Marlboro jobs. UP 1400, patched SSW GP40-2 (formerly SSW 7645) and UPY 1115 (formerly SP 2530), an SW1500. If you squint enough, you don't even notice the patches...

Also in the Anaheim hauler consist with 8655 and 2718 were patched UP 8810 (formerly SP 8271, a tunnelmotor), patched UP 2752 (formerly SP 8676 SD40M-2 with a 45 body), patched UP 2679 (formerly SP 8603, also a SD40M-2), and UP 2422, an SD60M as the lead unit with a three window wide cab.

http://www.yayax.com/gateway/sp8655-anh-3928-c85.jpg

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, 458 replies to this post??? this is incredible!!!!!
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marlboro went all the way down to Orange today with 14 cars, the most I've ever seen on this segment of the branch. Most of these cars were tanks that appeared to be destined for Foamex and Neville Chemical, but as Jeff mentioned earlier, there were two additional coil steel cars today, oddly enough one at each end of the train, and both CSX. No idea where they might be going. This is my last Marlboro chase for a while, as I am returning to the Bay Area tomorrow.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

Another longish Marlboro today, about 20 cars long.

Same power as previously reported.

I caught her street running on both Santa Ana and Olive Street during my lunch hour.

CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow 400 posts here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats so special, im in the amtrak forum!!!!!!

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99
Whats so special

Well, the Santa Ana Branch is a Union Pacific (former SP) line in Anaheim where the trains run down the middle of the street for a couple miles. There are a lot of interesting operations and photo opportunities on this line that you can't find anywhere else. I have a website with lots of photos from the Santa Ana Branch. Take a look, if you're interested.
http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/socalrailfan/UP_Anaheim.html

[This message has been edited by atsf3751 (edited 01-20-2004).]

Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
The Costa Mesa was through Orange on the way back to Anaheim at 9:33 AM. The train had a SW1500 long end forward, a ex SSW GP40-2, two empty lumber flatcars, 8 boxcars and a red flag in the last coupler.
The BNSF 1st La Mirada Roadswitcher passed through Orange at 10:07 with a new paint GP7 and another blue and yellow unit plus a lumber load, 7 covered hoppers and a caboose

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
two images of the street running from earlier this week... Enjoy !!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=47011
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=47010

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
No Costa Mesa Local today. The Anaheim Hauler didn't arrive until about 9 this morning and finally, the HB Local used the Costa Mesa/Marlboro power today. Otherwise, very short locals all week long.

I will try to do daily updates on the following site if anyone is interested. I welcome your contributions also. I will still post any note worthy events on this site also.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Orange_County_Railroad_Branches/

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Friday Feb 6, no Costa Mesa or Huntington Beach Locals running today. Probably because the Anaheim Hauler didn't arrive town until just before noon.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Todays Anaheim Hauler did not arrive Anaheim until 2034. The power was spotted on the mainline just in front of the depot and departed at 2155 as the outbound Anaheim Hauler, LOH44
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
In absence of any fresh reporting here for past week, two threads of O.C.interest may be found on t.o. today (one quite germain under "Los Nietos" heading, and another pertaining to "Brea Industrial Lead")--happy hunting, and tnx to RFlange & others who posted there.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 02-17-2004).]

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Well, I think the crossbuck installation is now complete on Santa Ana and Olive Streets. The new crossbucks are covered with Silver (White) conspicuity tape similar to DOT C-2 seen on truck trailers and newer railroad locomotives and rolling stock. The wood posts are also covered with the same tape on the sides facing the conflicting flow of traffic. On one set of crossbucks for every gradecrossing there is a reflective blue sign that reads: UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD To report stalled vehicle blocking crossing or other emergency call 1-800-848-8715 Refer to crossing #______. Non of the crossing numbers have been filled in yet. Here's the rundown of grade crossing protection that has been completed as of Saturday Feb 28, 2004. From West St. to Vermont Ave.

West St. - No changes, already protected on the Santa Ana St crossing with cantilever signals and both sides of West St. with flashers and crossing gates.

Ally between West St and Illinois St – Previously had no grade crossing protection. New crossbucks on both sides of ally just installed today.

Illinois St - Previously had no grade crossing protection, now has two new crossbucks.

Ally between Illinois and Indiana St - Previously had no grade crossing protection. New crossbucks on both sides of ally just installed today.

Indiana St - Previously had an old Southern Pacific Stenciled crossbuck on the North side and an unstenciled crossbuck on the South side. Both removed and replaced by new crossbucks.

Ally between Indiana St and Ohio - Previously had no grade crossing protection. New crossbucks on both sides of ally just installed today.

Ohio St - Had unstenciled crossbuck on South side only. This pole supporting the crossbuck was unpainted and had an old SP plate on it indicating its location by milepost. Other crossbucks in the area had similar plates but this was the only one that I was aware of that was not painted over. It was removed and replaced by new crossbucks.

Ally between Ohio St and Citron - Previously had no grade crossing protection. New crossbucks on both sides of ally just installed today.

Citron - Had two unstenciled crossbucks and a very unique crossbuck on the northeast corner with a bell but no flashers. The unstenciled crossbucks were removed and replaced by new ones.

Ally between Citron and Resh - Previously had no grade crossing protection. New crossbucks on both sides of ally just installed today.

Resh St - Other than the wig wag on Lemon St. I thought this was the second most unique site because of the wooden crossbucks. This probably was a survivor from the steam era. Gone now and replaced by a new crossbuck.

Herritage Village Senior Living driveway directly across from Resh St - Had no protection, now has a new crossbuck.

Ally between Resh St and Janss - Previously had no grade crossing protection. This ally originates on Santa Ana St and runs South. A new crossbuck was installed on the North side of Santa Ana St on the far side of the RR tracks. Interesting placement!

Janss St - Previously had no gradecrossing protection, now has a new crossbuck.

Police station driveway directly across from Janss - Had no protection, now has a new crossbuck of its own.

Alley and Library driveway between Janss and Harbor Blvd - Had no protection, now share a brand new crossbuck.

Harbor Blvd - Unchanged. Has cantilever flashers on both sides of Santa Ana St and a Southern Pacific stenciled crossbuck on the North side of Harbor off to the side where it won't do any good but, as of today, the only original crossbuck still surviving.

Helena St - Previously had no gradecrossing protection, now has a new crossbuck.

Clementine St - Previously had no gradecrossing protection, now has a new crossbuck.

Lemon St - Had a "Look out for the cars" stenciled crossbuck and wig wag on the south side of the tracks. The wig wag survives still but the old crossbuck has been removed and new crossbucks have been installed on both sides of Lemon.

Anaheim Blvd - Unchanged. Has flashers and crossing gates on both sides of the track.

Claudina St - Had "Look out for the cars" stenciled on the north crossbucks. The south crossbucks were unstenciled. Both replaced with new crossbucks with "2 Tracks" indicated.

Philadelphia St - Unchanged but another unique signal installation. Flashers at the termination of Philadelphia St but the RR tracks veer off of Santa Ana St just prior to this signal location. Traffic off of Philadelphia turning right or left would get a stop indication if a train were present but this traffic never actually crosses the RR tracks. Flasher also points east down Santa Ana St. Westbound traffic is also indicated to stop when a train is present but does not cross the RR tracks either. Cantilever signals protect the crossing of the RR tracks on the eastbound lane of Santa Ana St.

Santa Ana and Olive Intersection - This intersection had a crossbuck clearly stenciled "Look out for the cars." Although the track in this portion of Santa Ana St had been removed for about two years, the crossbuck still existed until this afternoon.

UP grade crossing on Olive - This is where the tracks reentered street trackage. The tracks cross the southbound lane from a blind ally and then proceeds down the middle of Olive St. This busy grade crossing previously had no protection. Now it has a new crossbuck. Badly needs an active warning device here.

Ellsworth - Had unstenciled crossbuck now has a new reflective crossbuck.

Water St - Had a Southern Pacific stenciled crossbuck. Yanked in favor of the new and improved.

South St - Unchanged. Cantilevered flashers on the east side, flashers on a cantilever mount, but no cantilever, on the west side.

Alleyway between South St. and Valencia St - Previously no protection, now a new crossbuck.

Valencia St - For the life of me I can't remember what existed there if anything. Regardless, it has a new crossbuck.

Vermont Ave - This busy gradecrossing has a traffic signal that flashes red when a train is present. Two new crossbucks were added to supplement that protection.

All these installs were performed by a private contractor, not the Union Pacific.

Jesse
Member # 486

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
470 replies?!! This has to be a record...haha...sorry I dont really have an answer to this original topic. I'm from the east coast (Rochester, NY). I know a good deal about east coast railroads but not much on the west. How's the BNSF been lately?
Posts: 106 | From: Hilton NY USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Monday's (3-15) inbound Anaheim Hauler LOH25 went dead on the law at 0700 just after making it's final setout at the Long Pass in Anaheim. The Anaheim Trainmaster then ferried the crew of the Huntington Beach
Local, LOA30 to the now light power and brought the LOH25 crew to Anaheim Station. Interestingly enough, the LOA30 crew used the
Hauler power to switch around its cut of cars rather than dropping off the power at the Wye and retrieving its own power. I had to get to work but I don't suspect the Huntington Beach Local used road power for it's trek down the branch.

SP2552
Member # 3132

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for SP2552     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a pair of Union Pacific SW1500's switch the Weyerhauser paper plant sidings between Carmenita and Valley View (in Santa Fe Springs). They have been switching around 8:00 to about 10:00 at night. Today I caught them at 3:00 switching at least 20 boxcars. After that, they pulled onto the mainline and did a Dutch drop at another siding. I watched them switch for about 30 minutes. Does anyone know more about the switching that the Buena Park Switcher?
Posts: 3 | From: Cerritos, Ca. USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
While doing a little websurfing today, I noticed Anaheim Library has finally digitized a number of its historical pix., including several of rail roads. If interested, go to the Library home page and click on historical pictures, then transportation.
On the City's own home page, there is an "Old Photos" page which includes a nice (balloon) aerial view of Santa Ana Street spanning from the S.P. depot to the Olive Ave. I could only get the left half covering the immediate vicinity of the depot (as used in "Orange Groves")to print large, and if any one can figure out how to print the right half(packing houses, etc., to print large also, I'd like to hear from them.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 03-18-2004).]

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Friday 3-19-04 Today's Huntington Beach Local, LOA30, was without power. The Y1144 died sometime during the night. Not to be detered,the crew of the LOA30 used the Hauler power 2684/2516 to switch its cut of cars at the Extension. I was hoping to see road power go down the branch but by the time their switching was completed, the
mechanical crew had the Y1144 running again. The LOA30 departed Anaheim at 0937 with the Y1144 and 3 loaded center beam lumber cars.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
I made it down to the end of the Costa Mesa branch today and observed a mere three box cars at the Times Plant. During the several trips that I have made to the end of the branch, the only industries still using rail service west of the transloading facility in Santa Ana off of Warner and Grand were the Times plant and a small facility off of Alton Av which seems to always have a single tank car spotted on its spur. Much to my surprise, I found a long string of covered hoppers spotted on a spur off of the line that turns north at Susan St and Alton Av. On the mainline, a single tank car was tied down. I tried to find what industry they were spotted at but everything was locked up for the weekend and I had my three boys and my god daughter so I didn't feel like taking them all for a hike. I thought this segment of the line was spiked but apparently not. This may have been the destination of the string of nine hoppers I reported earlier last week on the Costa Mesa Local.

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Night&Day again on SARTCcam, depending on which direction one looks, still. Someone go kick that thing, again?Kicking done, wiping needed(cams blurry and still mislabled as to direction.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 03-22-2004).]

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 04-21-2004).]

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
On Friday evening, several more truckloads of concrete street panels were delivered to Anaheim. I'm wondering if we are going to see Santa Ana and Olive Streets get new track and panels. There has been some pretty major street upgrades and redevelopement projects going on around downtown Anaheim over the past year or so. I'm sure Santa Ana and Olive Streets will eventually also get these upgrades.
ScottO
Member # 3201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all....been lurking for a while and finally decided to post.

Went by the Anaheim Wye this morning (4/20) in time to see the crew leaving a MP15AC SP 2747. It was connected to an SD60M UP 2349. Tooks some photos and left.

Came back towards noon and the was more power. SD60 UP 2208, SD60M UP 2247, SD60M UP 2362 and another MP15AC SP 2729. Another Photo Op.

ScottO

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page