RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Santa Ana Branch (Page 5)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Santa Ana Branch
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the current "Costa Mesa" section of the Santa Ana Branch extended directly to Huntington Beach as P.E.'s cross county line. The extension to Newport Beach(from S.A.), was built by SA&NRR about 1891, essentially along SR55r-o-w, later extended up coast and inland to Smeltzer in 1897(e-o-t on Petty's referenced map), acquired by S.P. at turn of century and extended further all the way to Stanton on Los Alamitos Branch by S.P.in 1907. Just a few clarifications for the faithful on Xmas 2002!

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 12-25-2002).]

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve:

Just restarted a "want" on Abebooks.com: your "Rails Through the Orange Groves" are priced at between $300 and $500, per volume, per copy!

Merry Christmas!

Landon

Posts: 16 | From: Lake Forest, CA. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As expected, the locals out of Anaheim didn't run on Christmas eve or day. Hope to see some long trains and Sunday service to make up for the backlog.

Merry Christmas to all and thank you for giving this post so much support. Although I've never met any of you in person, I feel like I know you all. I know I'm going to run into Jeff and Bus Lady someday. I'm keeping my eyes open for bus 25. Steve D, has been a great resource. Wish you were still in Southern CA.

Brian

Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john1082
Member # 2068

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for john1082     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveD:
[B]Actually the current "Costa Mesa" section of the Santa Ana Branch extended directly to Huntington Beach as P.E.'s cross county line. The extension to Newport Beach(from S.A.), was built by SA&NRR about 1891, essentially along SR55r-o-w, later extended up coast and inland to Smeltzer in 1897 [QUOTE]

This is the same line that served the Holly Sugar plant in Santa Ana, complete with an SW-1 up to perhaps 1974 or so? Remember seeing this while going to th beach when I was a kid.

Posts: 37 | From: Orange, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railsub
Member # 394

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for railsub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still waiting for todays "local" report... The photo posse was intent on chasing one of the local jobs today. I missed out... had committed to letting the wife go bargain hunting.
(Slurpee's and Metrolink do not compare.)

Posts: 20 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cue "Also Sprach Zarathustra" from the 2001 soundtrack...

Jeff and I met this morning at the wye at 7:00, only to find out that the Costa Mesa Local crew had a 5:00 a.m. call! We caught the local at Warner, switching out some hoppers in the storage tracks there at the spot where the main heads west. After a couple of switch moves the local headed west for Alton. Jeff took pictures from several spots along Alton, as the local had to perform two run-arounds, and more right at the Times plant. After a leisurely breakfast, we caught the local heading back, Jeff getting more pictures. After switching out the lumber yard west of Grand (is it Reliable Lumber there in Santa Ana?), we caught it again at 1st Street, south of the Santa Ana depot. The power was SW 1500's UP 1181 and 1074, both ex-SP. On the return leg the local had 18, including 2 empty centerline lumber cars and 11 Golden West Service boxcars from the Times.

After the successful chase on the south end, we headed for Vermont and Olive in Anaheim, and several minutes later the local approached. We paced the engine all the way to Santa Ana Blvd. and West, just shy of the I-5 bridge. The wig-wag was in operation at Lemon. We drove over to Lincoln and Crescent, and watched the crew leave the empties in the siding across from the Anaheim High School District office. Returning to the wye, we were both surprised to see that neither of the other two sets of power had moved; apparently the H.B./Paramount Local was not called today.

Thanks to Jeff for the guide work; a most enjoyable chase!

Regards,

Landon

Posts: 16 | From: Lake Forest, CA. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bsme25:

Merry Christmas to all and thank you for giving this post so much support. Although I've never met any of you in person, I feel like I know you all. I know I'm going to run into Jeff and Bus Lady someday. I'm keeping my eyes open for bus 25. Steve D, has been a great resource. Wish you were still in Southern CA.

Brian

Actually, ol 25 I had to leave at the district I worked at. Look for a big white MCI motorcoach with a pink stripe...5560 is my regular bus now...I work at Certified Transportation, you may have seen our buses all over SoCal!
Off to Arizona Saturday in 5560! woohoo!!

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Costa Mesa Local returned to Ana at 11:30 this morning. Upon its return, it swapped out Y1074 for Y1365, an MP15 that the Ana Hauler brought in on Monday. The Y1365 is an interesting switcher. It has a roof mounted air conditioner, single chime airhorn, painted over classification lights and no ditch lights. This unit was here about a month ago on the HB local. An interesting note about the Costa Mesa/Marlboro switchers Y1181 and Y1074 is that they have been paired together since Oct 31st. They both have been in captured service for almost 2 straight months. I've only seen units stay for about 3-4 weeks before they are rotated out. I believe the HB local did run today as I saw 9 cars left on the HB leg of the wye this evening.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railsub
Member # 394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railsub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice writeup Landon. Someday I'll have to break free and catch those locals. Was the leisurely breakfast part of the guide fees? Urban rail sure is different than chasing rails east of Summit. Were you able to have any conversations with the crew?

As for the old PE trackage... It's a shame the ROWs are not still available. Interurban is what we really need to releive local congestion. Imagine being able to ride the old NPB line to the pier. Or west from Santa Ana to Long Beach.

Posts: 20 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a map of the PE at its zenith. The PE never made a lot of money, if memory serves, but it could still exist if LA ever gets over the idea that rapid transit should be self-sufficient, not that the region is alone in this myopic opinion. Didn't the MTA pay almost $800 million for the old PE line that became the Blue Line from Long Beach to downtown?

Yes, I bought breakfast; Jeff drove from the wye, so it was the proper thing to do. I am sure anyone would have done the same. I brought the scanner.

We didn't go out of our way to converse with the crew, as they were consistently busy. The double run-around at the west end of Alton also included a run down the short industrial lead that runs north from the junction just west of Susan Street, west of Fairview. The crew had two different switch jobs there that we observed, one tank car and one hopper.

All in all I am most satisfied with my first real urban rail chase.

Peace to all,

Landon

[This message has been edited by LakeForestLandon (edited 12-27-2002).]

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling that were Pacific Electric to return today in all it's glory, it would be far more successful than it was by the late 50's when they were shutting everything down. People these days are sick of sitting in constant traffic, and at it's zenith, PE went to many of the places that see major freeway traffic jams. A modern PE would probably be a thriving endeavor, although certainly now lots of people would be loudly opposed to the return of such an extensive system. Just look at all the complaining people are doing over the proposed light rail line in OC, and that hasn't even got off the ground yet.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by atsf3751:
I have a feeling that were Pacific Electric to return today in all it's glory, it would be far more successful than it was by the late 50's when they were shutting everything down. People these days are sick of sitting in constant traffic, and at it's zenith, PE went to many of the places that see major freeway traffic jams. A modern PE would probably be a thriving endeavor, although certainly now lots of people would be loudly opposed to the return of such an extensive system. Just look at all the complaining people are doing over the proposed light rail line in OC, and that hasn't even got off the ground yet.

I think there's too many goons here because of the light rail. They had signs during the elections "DO YOU WANT TRAINS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD?" They make it sound like they were going to run heavy rail beasts on the street. So stupid.
Modern light rail is clean and quiet. im beign kicked off! BYE!

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I observed the Marlboro switching the lumber yard on Santa Ana St. this afternoon. They removed 1 empty center beam car. The only other loads they had today were 3 chemical tank cars. Power was Y1356 and Y1074, with 1356 leading, which is a bit curious as it has no ditch lights.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I finally got around to scanning some of my Santa Ana Branch photos into my computer and posting them on the web. Here's the link to them: http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/socalrailfan/Santa_Ana_Branch.html

I will probably be adding more in the next couple of days.

LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
atsf3751;

Your site is currently unavailable due to "excessive bandwidth consumption - try again in two hours"

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Sorry about that. Angelfire is turning out to be a less reliable host than I expected. Sometimes it doesn't even let me sign on!!Just keep trying.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally accessed it this morning.
Too pooped from our recent visit to O.C., which was so wedding focused that I couldn't do any railfaning:<(, to attend church back home today, enjoyed your great documentary very much--thanks a lot! BTW, see my seperate thread on Anaheim Street Running on this board which I really meant to be another post on this 5-page thread itself(oops).

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 01-05-2003).]

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That very unique MP15 Y1365 has already been replaced by SP 2568 on Friday the 3rd upon return of the Costa Mesa Local. It was in service on this branch for only 7 days. That will teach me! Get photos/videos when you get the chance. Also, the Marlboro switcher is going to run today. It went on duty at 11:00 a.m.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

atsf3751...

nice record of photos. 2756 has made several appearances in Anaheim over the past few years, an AC unit if I recall correctly (??)

I like your perspective on the wigwag. I have always been directly behind the appartus which limited my field of view...

Next time there I will try your Kodak spot.

Thanks for sharing !!

~ ~ ~

I will be posting several of the images from the chase that Landon and I had in Santa Ana and Costa Mesa. I didn't catch any still images on the street running as I broke in my Xmas gift from my wife ( !! ), a Panasonic VHS-c camera. I have had limited video experience, but it is fun !! I still prefer still camera images tho...

Yes Landon, a fantastic morning, seemed to fly by so quick... a GREAT DAY for sure !!

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I will be adding some more photos of trains going by the wig-wag within the next couple of days. I also shot Y1365 on the point of the Marlboro, but I have yet to finish that roll of film, so it will probably be a few weeks before I post them. I'll let everyone know when they're up.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Costa Mesa Local went out today at 0730 with 20 cars! Haven't seen the Costa Mesa Local with this many cars in a long time.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I've posted several more Santa Ana Branch photos on my site, including more shots of wig-wag action. You can get "linked" by first clicking on my profile.
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
1-6
I chased down a local who was carrying tanks, took video of them working. Near the Pond, on that track that goes by the stable. Gotta video of them cutting out 2 tanks, then backing into a gated siding and I assumed they dropped at least one. came back and them picked up the 2 cut tanks and continued on down by the stable.
I saw the freshly painted 1500, it'll be decorated by local artists soon.

railsub
Member # 394

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railsub   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Santa Ana Backs Off Its Threat to Block 2nd Metrolink Track
By Jennifer Mena, Times Staff Writer

Despite residents' concerns about the wail of late-night whistles and the rumble of trains, Santa Ana has decided not to fight the completion of Metrolink's addition of a second set of tracks between downtown Los Angeles and San Juan Capistrano.

City officials had threatened to sue to stop the project but instead struck a deal that calls for Metrolink to spend $1.6 million on improvements near the new track, including decorative fencing, double-pane windows for at least eight homes and a wall from Fairhaven Avenue to 17th Street.

The $16-million track addition will eliminate a bottleneck along a 1.8-mile stretch between 17th Street in Santa Ana and La Veta Avenue in Orange, where trains have to stop and idle so that oncoming trains can pass. The land on which the second track will be added is owned by the Orange County Transportation Authority.

...The double tracks "should reduce the noise and vibration since you will not have any idling while another train passes," said Metrolink spokeswoman Sharon Gavin. Resident Clementina Navarette isn't buying it. She said the second set of tracks is being installed to accommodate more trains. "There's too many trains already," she said. "The noise is terrible." Twelve years ago, she and her husband, Pablo, bought a house next to the track because it offered four spacious bedrooms for their three children and Clementina Navarette's mother. Pablo Navarette, a retired cannery employee, said he and his wife can't afford to move, so they are resolved to putting up with whatever nuisances are coming. "It's hard to be positive about what's going to happen when it's happening so close to your house," he said.

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by railsub:
"There's too many trains already," she said. "The noise is terrible."

Unless people enjoy sitting in traffic, they ought to realize that one additional Metrolink = 100+ more cars off the road. One additional freight train = 100+ trucks off the road. Safety and efficiency are increased, and yet there are those who still complain...amazing.

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by atsf3751:
Unless people enjoy sitting in traffic, they ought to realize that one additional Metrolink = 100+ more cars off the road. One additional freight train = 100+ trucks off the road. Safety and efficiency are increased, and yet there are those who still complain...amazing.

That and if they dont like the noise why did they move there in the first place? If ya dont like it, get out!
I can't wait to see how they are going to double track that along Lincoln. They have room but they're going to have to do some major work there.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Last evening i drove by Ana Station and saw both sets of local power tied down for the evening, however the SP 2568 was missing on the Costa Mesa/Marlboro. It wasn't with the hauler power either. Curious what happened to it. This mornining at around 6:20, the Costa Mesa Local left Ana with the Y1181 and 1 single boxcar.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

and I caught the CM job returning to the yard at 10:00am. they were running light and back home early... "early friday" has a nice ring to it, eh ??

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Finally got around to processing the images from the CM Local chase.

Hey Landon... that was a great day !!

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO SEE THE PHOTOS
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4743

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

[This message has been edited by dash-al (edited 01-13-2003).]

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I finally caught a working Huntington Breach local today, totally by accident. Driving down Beach Blvd. at 5PM, the gates went down and a train with UPY 1206 and UP 1572 ambled across with about 15 tank cars. It headed off toward the Paramount side of the branch. Unfortunately, traffic was bad, and so I couldn't chase it.
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the Marlboro Local Sunday schedule fixed or as needed? Is the call always at the same time?
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Marlboro Sunday edition seems to go on duty between 11:00 and noon. It usually returns back to Anaheim almost right away, sometimes within the hour. Its frequency of operation is less than once a month. The Anaheim Hauler runs Sunday-Friday. If you see road power on the wye at Anaheim on Saturday, there is a good chance you'll see a Sunday Marlboro. The Huntington Beach Local was running almost every Sunday. Haven't seen much Sunday action for the last few months. Todays (Monday) Costa Mesa Local went out with 21 cars, 16 of which were the Golden West VCY boxcars destined for LA Times? If so, that's the longest cut of cars I've seen for the Times Plant.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Rare occurance at Anaheim today. Two sets of road power on the wye. On the East leg SP 7629/SP 8673/UP patch 2665/SP 8703. On the West leg SP 8663/SP7655/UP patch 8638 on D&RGW T-2. One set from West Colton and one set from Dolores?
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
The Golden West boxes are for the LA times plant, as a general rule. The amount of paper they get seems to fluctuate a lot.

Hope you got photos of that Rio Grande unit. D&RGW is getting rare in just about any form!

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Y1181 has been replaced by GP15 1579 on the Costa Mesa/Marlboro Local. No big deal except for the Y1181 being in continuous service on the branch since Oct. 31. Almost 3 months without getting some type of service in the shops. Pretty durable old switcher! I have a feeling we'll se it back before long.
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you guys realize what kind of affect this post would have if anyone whose opinion matters to the rail services got a chance to read these comments?..Someone should find a way to let that happen

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you guys realize what kind of affect this post would have if anyone whose opinion matters to the rail services got a chance to read these comments?..Someone should find a way to let that happen

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by bsme25:
The Y1181 has been replaced by GP15 1579 on the Costa Mesa/Marlboro Local. No big deal except for the Y1181 being in continuous service on the branch since Oct. 31. Almost 3 months without getting some type of service in the shops. Pretty durable old switcher! I have a feeling we'll se it back before long.

I hope it comes back, it's a good lookin little engine!! I got it on video at least.

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

hey ya'all...

Yeah, about once a month on the Sunday stuff.

I grabbed a few images of the double set of power at the wye. The word must have been out as I ran into two other Orange County rail-photoguys... Kevin V. (OCKV) and Chris W. (ECCRCHRIS).

I posted a few of mine at: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=33492#post33492

~ ~ ~

and the aforementioned 1181 on duty with 1074 as the power for the Costa Mesa Local with one of the Golden West boxcars in tow.
http://members.trainorders.com/anaheim-al/up1074-1181-anh-2918-c90.jpg

I am starting to see these Golden West cars getting patched back to SP road numbers.

One Sunday they run, we should all gather trackside to photograph and video their street running. That would be a sight, eh ??

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by dash-al:

hey ya'all...

Yeah, about once a month on the Sunday stuff.

I grabbed a few images of the double set of power at the wye. The word must have been out as I ran into two other Orange County rail-photoguys... Kevin V. (OCKV) and Chris W. (ECCRCHRIS).

I posted a few of mine at: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=33492#post33492

~ ~ ~

and the aforementioned 1181 on duty with 1074 as the power for the Costa Mesa Local with one of the Golden West boxcars in tow.
http://members.trainorders.com/anaheim-al/up1074-1181-anh-2918-c90.jpg

I am starting to see these Golden West cars getting patched back to SP road numbers.

One Sunday they run, we should all gather trackside to photograph and video their street running. That would be a sight, eh ??

Sounds like fun, I think the UP crew might even get a kick out of that!

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page