RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » AmtrakCascades News (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: AmtrakCascades News
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first of the newly renovated bistro cars is back in service. Looking at these photos, it seems the layout is pretty similar to the old cars--just updated.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admittedly I've only ridden the Cascades three times..... most recently in July 2011...... but I can't detect a difference between the photos of the renovated cars and what I recall having seen on my trips to the northwest corner.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this means that the "Las Vegas" trainset is going to be gutted and made to look like all of the others as well? I always thought it was neat to have the one, single set (that was supposed to go into Las Vegas service) stand out with its' different interior. Same physical setup, but the color scheme was different---isn't it red? That was a fantastic idea to have the Talgos run to Vegas---a shame it never came to fruition.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Las Vegas set was repainted several years ago and with the recent interior renovations, all trainsets have the same look.

BTW, the FRA has approved a waiver for the Talgos on LA to LV service, so it would be possible for one of the trainsets to migrate back to SoCal if for some reason the Desert Express HSR service fails to materialize.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean the outside color---I meant the inside. IIRC, the Las Vegas trainset had a red-themed bistro, and the red theme carried on throughout the coaches as well. But it sounds like this will become history when they rip everything out for the upgrades.

Vincent--is that FRA waiver something that happened recently? That's really interesting that such a thing is in place for that route. I am a Vegas "regular" and can assure people that the traffic on I-15 to/from Vegas on Fridays and Sundays is extremely bad. It's so weird to be stuck in a major traffic jam for hours when you are in the middle of the desert with NOTHING around for miles and miles. Whoever comes up with a reliable and affordable train between LA and Vegas will be a hero. It is badly needed. You'd think that the economy would have had an impact on this traffic, but it has not--it's as crowded as ever right now.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Another Cascades trip report. This report is more favorable than his previous Vancouver BC to Seattle experience. Pretty good interior photos, too (Bistro is pre-renovation, however).
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
I've been waiting to see the new OR trainsets arrive for testing at Holgate Yard (just south of King Street Station). But I guess I'm going to have to wait quite a bit longer for those trains to arrive. Apparently Talgo forgot to install the Wifi in the new trainsets, so they won't be running until next spring.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
If they overlooked a big thing like WiFi, it makes me nervous thinking what else they might have forgotten!
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
The Obama administration has selected the Pt. Defiance Bypass project for expedited federal review and permitting under the "We Can't Wait" initiative. This means that all federal review and permitting should be complete by December 2012. There still is some local community opposition to passenger trains barreling through town, but all the federal hurdles should be cleared by the end of the year and design work can proceed. Unfortunately, WSDOT is still anticipating that it will take until 2017 to finish construction and get the Cascades trains moved off the Pt. Defiance line.
pporro
Member # 31539

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pporro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they could match or beat the airfare which runs around $100, they would have a train full both directions, Fri-Sun.

Personally I can't see paying to park at the airport, which is always congested. Spend a couple of hours boarding and hour to "deplane" and escape the compound known as a secure airport.

I could be relaxing on a train that drops me in downtown Las Vegas.

Oh wait... Las Vegas, one of the premier tourist destinations of the country, has no train station. No Amtrak service except via Thruway bus.

Nevermind.

Posts: 23 | From: Milwaukee-North | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
There may be some Cascades schedule changes coming even before the Pt. Defiance Bypass is finished. Currently train 509 leaves Seattle at 530pm, arrives Portland at 900pm and terminates in Eugene at 1145pm. The train is very well patronized between Seattle and Portland, but the trip from Portland to Eugene is very lightly used. WSDOT/ODOT are considering terminating 509 in Portland, providing a bus connection to Eugene and then offering an early morning southbound train from Portland to Eugene using the 509 trainset from the previous day. Currently there is an imbalance of service between Portland and Eugene. Northbound trains depart Eugene at 530am, 900am and 1244pm (Starlight); southbound trains depart Portland at 225pm (Starlight), 615pm and 910pm. If the change is made, the southbound departures be scheduled at about 600am, 225pm and 615pm. Northbound departure times would remain close to what is currently offered because the early morning southbound train from Portland would arrive in time to turn for the 900am northbound departure.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
The Point Defiance Bypass Environmental Assessment is finally done! There will still be some kickin' and screamin' by a couple of small cities near the line, but now, design work can be finished and hopefully, soon, some shovels can actually hit some dirt. The northern part of the Bypass (Tacoma to Lakewood) opened to Sound Transit commuter trains last week. The southern section-- Lakewood to Nisqually--which will be used only by Amtrak, is the section that this EA studies. Construction should be finished by 2017.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will the Coast Starlight also use this new route?

(quickly approaching 2000 posts!!)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Yes, the Starlight will move too.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will there be any changes in the Seattle to Vancouver trains (513/517 southbound and 510/516 northbound)?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Yes, due to budget cuts, it's likely that there will be some cuts on the Seattle to Vancouver BC route. It hasn't been decided whether the cuts will be a few trips per week year-round or if the 2nd train will be suspended during the slower months. An announcement should be coming soon.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
There's a fare sale for AmtrakCascades tickets between Seattle and Portland. Buy tickets by 10/25, travel November 27-December 18. I don't know if this forum permits fare quotes, but I will say that the sale fare is REAL CHEAP.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Another Thruway bus roundtrip is being added between Portland and Eugene effective February 1. The southbound bus will leave PDX at 600am (arrive EUG 915am) and the northbound bus will leave EUG at 450pm (arrive PDX 805pm). These Thruway buses will allow riders from Portland to finally make single day trips in the Willamette Valley.

The Eugene Register-Guard is also reporting that Amtrak intends to replace those bus trips with train service this summer.
quote:
As a first step, on Feb. 1, Amtrak will add its Thruway bus service leaving Portland for Eugene at 6 a.m. weekdays — 8:30 a.m. weekends — and leaving Eugene for Portland at 4:50 p.m. every day.... This summer... Amtrak plans to replace those buses with train runs.
This new service has been needed for years and should have a very positive effect on OR ridership.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vincent - I can't get the Eugene-Register-Guard link, above, to work for some reason.

Do you happen to know if they are going to do anything with the Amtrak Cascade #504? It now leaves Eugene at 9:00 AM and arrives in Portland at 11:35 AM. I'm hoping that run stays intact as I may take it this summer.

Also, did the article say when schedule changes may occur, with regard to PDX-EUG and EUG-PDX?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
There hasn't been any more information about the new schedules yet.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Trains magazine has an interesting article detailing the construction of the 4 Talgo trainsets in Milwaukee. The evolution of the controversial (ugly?) cab car design is explained. Apparently, Amtrak is to blame.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
According to the ODOT website, the new Oregon Talgos have passed their tests at the TTCI in Pueblo and they will soon be on their way to Seattle for corridor testing and employee training. Can't wait to get an up-close look at those new cab cars.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I wonder if they are as "fugly" up close and personal as they are in pictures??
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
The FRA has finally given the go-ahead to the Point Defiance Bypass project. Sounder trains are already using the Tacoma to Lakewood section of the corridor, but design work and construction are still needed on the rest of the corridor, so Cascades trains won't be moving inland until 2017. Two more daily roundtrips will be available once the project is complete and the Tacoma Amtrak station will move to Freighthouse Square.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I think the most needed change would be a train from Portland to Eugene which would get in at a reasonable hour. The earliest train, from PDX to EUG, now gets in at 8:50 PM.

I wonder about WSDOT's plan for a high-speed train from Eugene to Vancouver, BC and back. It would take about 6 hours. I don't expect that to happen but it would be nice if it did.

What about a through train, both Northbound and Southbound, from Eugene to Vancouver, BC with the present Cascades? They could extend 513, southbound from Vancouver, all the way to Eugene. It would probably arrive around 5:30 PM or 6:00 PM in Eugene. Likewise, train 504 now leaves Eugene at 9:00 AM. If they extended it to Vancouver, it could get in by early evening.

Looking at the Cascades schedule, I don't see a real need for 507, Southbound, or 516, Northbound. Both could be deleted, in my opinion.

It will be interesting to see the new schedules. I would be satisfied if the only change would be in the PDX to EUG timetable.

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Construction and rehabilitation work is ramping up on the Seattle to Portland corridor and trains are going to be delayed by the work. New schedules have been published that add up to 25 minutes to the previous schedules to allow for delays caused by the work.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
The new Oregon Talgos are on their way to Seattle. I don't know what route they are taking, but I would expect to see this them weekend.
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been told by several sources that the new trainsets are basically going to allow Amtrak to operate more trains between Seattle and Portland. So it seems that these Oregon trainsets were purchased largely to preserve existing service south of Portland to Eugene. I'd love to see better train schedules on the Portland to Eugene segment, and even an additional frequency, but I don't think that is in the cards. Moreover, I've also heard that the Portland to Seattle corridor will be hitting its limit with the number of trains BNSF will allow. So for example, if Oregon and Washington were to buy the Wisconsin Talgos, I am not sure they could continue to augment Amtrak Cascade Service.

One suggestion was to run either a daylight train to/from Portland and an eastern point somewhere on the Oregon side of the Columbia River, or run a daylight train to/from Seattle and Spokane (opposite the Empire Builder).

I was surprised about the suggestion to run on the Oregon side of the Columbia River, but this actually came from a UP engineer who was on the Coast Starlight.....

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Amtrak will be adding one daily roundtrip between Seattle and Bellingham to help travelers deal with the I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse. WSDOT, Amtrak and BNSF are still working on the details, but there will be an extra morning departure from Seattle to Bellingham and a return trip in the evening. I guess that Oregon Talgo trainset will be pressed into immediate service.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Amtrak's website is showing the 3rd northline trip, starting tomorrow, May 31st and operating until the Skagit River Bridge is fixed. The new train trip leaves Seattle at 815am and arrives Bellingham 1055am. The southbound trip leaves Bellingham at 515pm and arrives in Seattle at 755pm. These trips will be using Sound Transit Bombardier BiLevel coaches.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Work has started on the new Tukwila Station which will replace the wooden platforms that have served as the temporary Tukwila Amtrak/Sound Transit station since 2000. (And you thought the King Street Station remodel took forever.)
quote:

The new facility, with a total budget of $46 million, will include two 600-foot-long platforms, two new passenger shelters, improvements to the underpass connecting the two platforms, and a bus transit area supporting better access to King County Metro Transit services, including the future Rapid Ride F line. Parking for transit users will nearly double from 208 to 390 stalls, and a plaza, improved walkways and lighting will offer better pedestrian access to the station. The facility will also house four electrical charging stations, and bicycle storage will increase from 27 to 76 spaces

This station won't be as grand as the KSS project--2 platforms, 2 shelters and a bigger parking area--but it will be a huge improvement over the existing facility. The City of Tukwila is also planning to rezone and rebuild the area around the station with more of a transit-oriented-development focus. Currently, the city of Tukwila is home to big box stores, the largest shopping mall in south King County, numerous mid-range motels, fast food and all the auto traffic that those businesses generate. So Tukwila's plan to develop a densely populated, pedestrian friendly community within walking distance of the train station represents a huge shift in civic priorities. The area around the new station could be quite nice if the redevelopment plans are carried out--the Green River with a bike trail is close by and there are 2 ponds within walking distance of the station.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Separated at birth?
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Work has finally begun on 2 projects designed to prevent mudslides on the BNSF tracks near Everett. Both projects should be complete by October, which should reduce the number of Amtrak and Sounder cancellations this winter. Four more projects will be started next year, so cross your fingers for better winter travel on the line north of Seattle.
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Message received from the Oregon DOT:

Hello rail fans! The Oregon Department of Transportation and our partners invite you and your family to celebrate Oregon's new Talgo trains, soon to join the Amtrak Cascades fleet operating from Vancouver, B.C. to Eugene.

WHEN: Sat. Oct, 19, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.

WHERE: Union Station, 800 NW 6th Ave., Portland, Ore.

WHAT: Guest speakers, displays, giveaways, train tours and more!

I guess this means that the Oregon Talgos will finally enter revenue service.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A WISCONSIN-built Oregon Talgo!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
...should have been your 4000th post!
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Question:

If Oregon purchased and owns the Oregon Talgos, does it mean that Amtrak has to play ball with Oregon? In other words, if Oregon wants to change train schedules, timetables, delete a Cascade train, etc, for the Cascade trains that run in Oregon, does Amtrak have to acquiesce to the state of Oregon?

Or, does it just mean that Oregon owns the Talgos but Amtrak still runs the Oregon show?

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Now that Oregon owns 2 trainsets the ODOT will be able to have a say in scheduling (along with WSDOT, Amtrak, BNSF and UP). If you look at the current Cascades schedules you can see that Oregon riders between Eugene and Portland don't get great service. That's because WSDOT (owner of 3 trainsets) and Amtrak (owner of 2 trainsets) were calling the shots. Now that OR has made a contribution to the equipment pool we may see a morning train from Portland to Eugene and an evening return trip, if negotiations with UP work out.

There also was talk of breaking up the existing 5 trainsets and reconfiguring them into 4 longer trainsets. I haven't heard if that is still planned.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I find that very interesting, Vincent. I hope we will eventually see a morning train from Portland to Eugene. Who knows, maybe a Eugene to Ashland train if there is maintained and suitable track provided.

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
The summer construction season is underway in the Pacific Northwest and due to trackwork projects between Seattle and Vancouver BC, there has been a new schedule in effect since July 7th that adds 30 minutes to the Seattle to Vancouver BC trip times. A large part of the construction should be for landslide prevention work, so these delays should result in more dependable service on the north line for Amtrak and Sound Transit once the rainy season starts.

Amtrak's online timetables still show the old timetable, but the reservations page shows the new times operating through the end of September.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page