RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Santa Ana Branch (Page 9)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Santa Ana Branch
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marlboro left Anaheim at 1600 with the Y1219 and 18 cars. Obviously, sometime today the Y1219 got back to Anaheim. Maybe the Costa Mesa Local grabbed it. The Marlboro quickly returned at 1710 with the Y1219 and 15 cars. The UP 1095 was buried 5 cars deep in the consist. Didn't get video or photos. Wasn't expecting him back this soon.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-al's observations...

It looks like a double whammie... A minor derail near Ganahl Lumber and UP 1095 ran outta fuel. The Marlboro crew chased off a small group of taggers. They were last seen running down Lewis Street.

The CM died on the law, not sure what happened there. A problem (derail ??) near Reliable Lumber. The HB was blocked by the empty ballast hoppers and tied down their power somewhere on the HB branch.

SP 8581 and SP 8598 (both unpatched and very clean by UP standards) pulled the empty ballast hoppers out of Anaheim at 1900 or so.

Short hauler to West Colton... Only empties from the Marlboro.

LLPX 2235 may be around for a few days as local power ??

Observant-al

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, what a weird day out on the OC branches. This morning's Costa Mesa Local went out with the LLPX 2235 and 12 cars. Since the Costa Mesa Local died on the law, I would assume the train will come back with the power and train from yesterday also. I'm bummed to have missed the ballast train. I've missed it now both times that it has had 2 SP units. Once almost 6 months ago and then yesterday.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
more from Anaheim...

The hauler power was odd today, two SD60M's, Have the SD40's been seeing duty, or is this something new ??

3 windowed UP 6159 was the lead unit, followed with UP 6297.

~ ~ ~

Jeff shakes his head in disbelief. I should have called you Brian. I won't forget next time...

~ ~ ~

Photos from Anaheim at: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=55863

What do you guys think of that control box ??

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Lord found Santa Ana Branch a blessing?
In reviewing a history of the Irvine Ranch recently I came accross a quotation attributed to the editor of the Anaheim Gazette, upon the arrival of the S.P. to the region. "With this [railroad] system in operation, there is assured a paradise of wealth and refinement in Southern California. All praise to God, Who has smiled upon our land with an exceedingly gracious smile." I never saw the citation in the newspaper personally, but trust the author. All O.C.'s glory and success can be attributed to the rail line featured on this thread--you bet! This contrasts only slightly with the opposing view which held the railroad to be the devil incarnate.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 07-09-2003).]

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Costa Mesa Local arrived back at Anaheim at noon as light power. The Marlboro left Anaheim at 1320 also running as light power. ?????
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
The CM left their empties on the interchange track at CP College. It will be a huge empty on the way back to the station. Ganahl also had many empties. The Marlboro just got finished switching out Weyerhauser Paper.

Also to note, a big rig hi-railer is at South Anaheim at what I call the "School Siding", I should look at the SPINS and see its correct appelation. The hi-railer has four or five gons and an Espee caboose in tow.

Both of these would be prime suspects for some video footage, but my camcorder is at home. Still images will have to do today.

Brian, LLPX 2235 will be leading on the way back to the wye...

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
OK, here's the interesting events of Thurs July 10. 0711, Costa Mesa leaves Ana with 1069/LLPX 2235 with 7 cars and ET device (rare). 0805, the big rig hi rail thingy (I'm sure that's the technical RR term) with a gondola in tow heads SP east. Costa Mesa Local returns at noon as light power. 1323, Marlboro Local leaves Ana as light power. 1537, Marlboro returns as light power. 1617, Marlboro leave Ana again, this time with 9 cars. 1650, Marlboro returns to Ana with 33 cars. That's 7 train movements down the branch in one day. Would have been nice to see a ballast or rail train also just for the heck of it.

Thanks for the heads up Jeff!

By the way, anyone know when the Circus Train is scheduled to make it's way to town?

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Todays branch highlight featured an infrequent Saturday morning Anaheim Hauler. It completely filled the .8 mile "Long Siding" with cars, maybe with two or so car lengths to spare. I've never seen that many cars deposited here at one shot, even when the Hauler has run in multiple sections. I'm going to keep my ear to the ground for some possible Sunday action!
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The MOW big rig hi-rail truck with 2 gondolas in tow just arrived Anaheim from the Tustin Branch at around 0915. He is now heading down the Stanton Branch.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to go out and watch the Marlboro today, but my truck got a flat tire! Such is the luck.

Does anyone know when the circus train is coming to town? The circus is supposed to open in Anaheim on July 25.

[This message has been edited by atsf3751 (edited 07-14-2003).]

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marlboro local left Anaheim today around 3:25 with 23 cars. UP 1069 and LLPX 2235 were leading. It switched the lumber yard on the street, removing an empty and depositing another car before proceeding to South Anaheim.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
There are two SP units right now on the Buena Park switcher. One us is SP 2568 and the other is patched UPY 1219, which had previously been on the Marlboro Local.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Just got back into town, figured I'd take a quick look at the Anaheim Wye to see what was up. Was rewarded by two sets of Hauler power on the east leg of the Wye and an intact 20 or so car Hauler on the Stanton Branch. That's a total of 3 trains since Saturday? Didn't get a chance to see if either the sidings were full of cars but I would assume so since the third Hauler didn't deposit it's cars. Too bad the Haulers don't venture to South Anaheim anymore.
Paul Jansson
Member # 1388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Jansson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the 3 sets of road power today, I see the circus train made it down to where its set out north of Katella. Does anyone know when it made the trip down Santa Ana St.? It was sitting at Commerce siding on the Commerce/Walker line on Friday evening.
Posts: 26 | From: La Mirada, CA USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I caught a late-running Marlboro in Anaheim at 4:30 today. Possible they were thrown off by the arrival of the circus train? Power was UP 1069 and LLPX 2235.

The circus train (or half of it, anyway) is sitting over in the South Anaheim yard. Considering that the passenger cars alone pretty much take up the whole yard, where will the store the freight train part of it when it arrives? The Tustin Branch?

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
I wonder if one set of power that I observed on the Anaheim Wye on Sunday was used on the circus train. From what it appears, it sneaked into town at some obscure hour. I'm hoping Jeff got some photos...hoping!
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Circus wraps up tonight in Long Beach so I'm assuming the rest of the circus train will be through tomorrow morning as Jeff stated on the Circus Train post. I'm going to try to stay in the area all day Thursday so I don't miss the train. Todays Anaheim Hauler power is a single Rio Grande T-2.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I must say, a beautiful site at the Anaheim wye today. Pristine D&RGW SD40T-2 5401! Needless to say, I spent about half a roll of film on it. There's gotta be less than a dozen of 'em left. The Marlboro was good today too. The LLPX unit was leading. It has an Amtrak-like horn - sure sounds nice.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
A ribbon rail train just passed MP512 (South Anaheim, SP's former Tustin Junction) at 9:25am on Thursday, July 24th. Destined for the Santa Ana Branch ??

Circus train due in at 11:00am. Skies murky and grey.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The circus train arrived today with very grungy UP 4908 and 9843. It stopped at Anaheim Station at 0939 for about 5 minutes to pick up a crew member from the Costa Mesa Local. The train then proceeded to South Anaheim, crawling down Santa Ana and Olive Streets with the power from the Costa Mesa Local, UP 1069 and LLPX 2235, following a few car lengths behind. I missed the initial action at South Anaheim but essentially, the Circus train stopped on the runaround, the Costa Mesa power hooked on to the rear of the circus train and disconnected all but the first 5 or so heavyweight "horse" cars, pulled the cut of cars clear of the runaround and pushed it down the Tustin Branch. The cars were left on the main line at Cerritos and Sunkist St. The power then proceeded back to South Anaheim, hooked up to the heavyweight cars, pulled them out and backed them down the Tustin Branch. I don't know where those cars ended up. The circus train power then made its way back towards Anaheim Station arriving at 1125. The 1069 and LLPX 2235 returned to Anaheim Station at 1150. I assume regular operations will now resume and we should see another 4 trains before the day is over. Jeff mentioned earlier that a rail train made its way down the branch earlier this morning. So, counting the light power movements, this old branch has a chance of seeing at least 9 total train movements today.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Alas, neither the Costa Mesa or Marlboro Locals ran today. The Anaheim Hauler didn't even get in until about 3:35 PM. Still a great day out on the branch. I have no idea how to post pictures. If anyone wants pictures of the Circus train, e-mail me. Just be forewarned that they are not nearly the quality of Jeff's or Mark's work.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
No Costa Mesa Local for the second day in a row. I'm assuming that the rail train is out on the Santa Ana branch and as a result, the local can't get by? Also, today's Hauler features a single UP SD40-2.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
The Marlboro probably didn't run because of the Circus Train blocking the Tustin Branch from about Sunkist to Main St. Don't know why they wouldn't run a Costa Mesa, though.

Brian, I would like to see your pictures since I didn't see it come in, and only caught the last stages of the unloading. You know my email.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
On Friday, the Marlboro went out at 1454 with the Huntington Beach Local's power and 15 cars. It returned at 1712 as light power then headed down the branch again at 1804 as light power. I left the area so I never got to see it return. There were no outgoing Haulers on Friday or Saturday. The accumulated power from the previous two inbound haulers just sat on the wye. The Sunday outbound hauler departed tonight at 2245 and met the "short on time" inbound hauler on the long siding. Lastly, for the first time since May 4, there was a Sunday Marlboro Local. It departed Anaheim at 0815 as light power, SP 4816/UP 1095 and returned at 1120 with 25 cars. I dread when the Circus train leaves and things go back to normal.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
For the 3rd straight workday, there has been no Costa Mesa Local. Also, I haven't seen or heard from the rail train that went down the Santa Ana Branch on Thursday. I'm wondering if it is still blocking things up.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Just as I finished the last post, got a heads up from Jeff that the returning rail train hit a semi truck at Santa Ana and Anaheim. Must have been a minor accident because the train stopped for only a few minutes before continuing on its way. It arrived Anaheim Station at 1230. I guess that explains why there have been no Costa Mesa Locals for the past few days. The rail train was powered by UP 796 and SP 7956.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Marlboro Local ran with the power from the rail train today. 14 cars going out at 1610, 7 cars coming in at 1805.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Interesting stuff in Anaheim today...

SP 7956 (GP40-2) was on duty today, saw her twice, once pulling the
empty ribbon rail train back from the Santa Ana Branch on Santa Ana
Street. Then again as the eastward facing unit on the Marlboro, see
link below.

UP 739 - SP 7956 ran into a big rig right in front of the old UP (??)
building at the corner of Anaheim Blvd and Santa Ana Street. Nothing
serious, thankfully...

Hobbs Trucking won't be getting cars for a few days. The switch to the Hobbs spur has been a problem ever since I have
hung around South Anaheim. Not sure where the problem is this time
(switch or not ??), but no cars until the circus train is gone
and the track is repaired.

Oh yeah, Circus train cars everywhere.

~ ~ ~

Here are links to a few of today's catches...

SP 7956 at the distant signal on the Tustin Branch: http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6112

Circus sign, "Watch your step, but don't enter !!" http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6115

Circus train flat car: http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6117

The Marlboro spotting a hopper: http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6119

Pulling out of Neville: http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6120

~ ~ ~

that's it for now...

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Costa Mesa Local is back. It headed out of town this morning at 0705 with SP 7956 ,UP 796 and 24 cars.
MikeKimura
Member # 361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeKimura   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow is this a long thread! Since the Huntington Beach Local is my neighborhood train I'm always interested in the UP Orange County train info.

Have you guys all seen these pages?
http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/socalrailfan/about_UPinOC.html http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/socalrailfan/UP_Anaheim.html
http://trainweb.org/carl/ResidentialCarsInAnaheim/compressed/RinglingBrosTrainCoaches.htm http://trainweb.org/carl/Anaheim/AnimalCarsInAnaheim.htm

Posts: 6 | From: Fountain Valley, CA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Glad to see you like my site. I'm trying to document as many of the operations as I can so that other people become interested enough to check it out.

This thread has certainly morphed beyond being a normal discussion thread. I'd say it's become more of a weblog for all the local Santa Ana Branch fans to post the latest information on what's going on with this line. I don't think Trainweb's western US rail forum would have the same following or frequent posting if it weren't for this thread.

So I guess my point is - keep it up everyone, keep it up!

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Both inbound and outbound Haulers have been running weird schedules as of late. The inbound hauler has been arriving mid mornings or early evenings on several occasions. On Weds, both Haulers meet at Studebaker during daylight. The inbound hauler went dead on the law there and a patch crew was sent to get it. Last week, the outbound hauler only made it as far as Los Nietos before going dead on the law. And of course, there is a Saturday morning hauler today which came in about 4:15 this morning. On a side note, all 4 units assigned to the Costa Mesa/Marlboro and Huntington Beach locals are road switchers. 2 of which are unpatched SP Geeps. For some reason, these OC branches always seem to get freshly painted or at least clean UP units while every other branch around LA or Colton gets beat up SP or D&RGW Geeps and switchers. I prefer the later as I have not yet succumbed to UP taking over my beloved SP. The last time an SP Geep was assigned to this branch...June of last year.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

The skinny I heard on the haulers is due to a management change, creating choas all over Southern California. Something about a new superindendent or the same super with new ideas... really screwing up the "system" and the system. Many rails are taking days off (or similar, I am real familar with the RR terminology, maybe laying off ??). So there are crews with extra board guys... blah, blah, blah... I decerned a "you asked for it, you got it" attitude.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
More on the Circus train in Anaheim, some info at the end duplicates BSME's post. Two images on my thread at TO on the western board at this link. http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?f=1&i=262488&t=262488

The UP local crew (the Marlboro) shuffled some of the RBBX cars around Friday evening
as the circus begins to prepare for their move out of Anaheim. The Marlboro is a Sunday
to Friday job, but looks like they got their Sunday work done on Friday, eh ??

The animal cars that had the wheel problem has been repaired, and the track as well. It
sounded as if a brake was stuck ( ?? ) and ruined two wheels and some track near the
Katella crossing.

The equipment flat cars were taken down the Tustin Branch and shoved as far back as the
57 freeway, almost to that crossing at the access road to the Pond parking lot at Phoenix
Club Drive. Next, the two animal cars that were stored on the Ganahl Lumber spur were
taken back across the diamonds to South Anaheim. Both of these cars suffered some
vandalism in the form of aerosol graffiti while on the runaround track approaching Ganahl
and Diversified. I couldn't decipher any animal rights messages, just picked out a tagger's
name that I have seen on other rolling stock.

I wonder if the Circus has paint and rollers on board ?? Maybe a quick trip to Home
Depot is in order ??

The other two animal cars were picked up from the stub track on the south side of Katella,
then all four animal cars were dropped at South Anaheim, presumably to keep an eye
them and prevent further vandalism. Pity those crew members with their rooms near
these cars. Phew... them animal cars have a very annoying odor.

Some attempt has been made to remove the graffiti, rather unsuccessfully. Hopefully it
can be painted over before rolling out of Anaheim on Monday. Now they not only smell
bad, but they look bad too.

Sounds like the UP Marlboro crew will be on hand at South Anaheim around 3:00pm on Monday to
build the train, about a three hour task. Probably ( possibly ?? ) UP power/BNSF crew to be used to go to San Diego. Then the same power to take the circus on to Reno, Nevada. Last year there was a "who is gonna supply the power" issue, if I remember correctly... It may all happen again.

~ ~ ~

Other Anaheim observations:

SP 7659 (GP38 or GP40 ??) and SP 4816 are mated to different UP units in local service out of Anaheim (SP 7659 with UP 796 and SP 4816 with UP 1693). 4816 features Roman lettering and not a spec of graffiti, well worth the time to capture a few images, while SP 7659 sports more of an urban paint scheme with some light graffiti on the long hood.

Rail replacement in and around Anaheim continues. Several sections near the RBBX cars were repaired and/or replaced last week. The Anaheim "yard" is still filled with a variety of m-o-w equipment.

al de anaheim

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
cut-n-paste from the Santa Ana Branch thread

~ ~ ~

More on the Circus train in Anaheim, some info at the end duplicates BSME's post. Two images on my thread at TO on the western board at this link. http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?f=1&i=262488&t=262488
The UP local crew (the Marlboro) shuffled some of the RBBX cars around Friday evening
as the circus begins to prepare for their move out of Anaheim. The Marlboro is a Sunday
to Friday job, but looks like they got their Sunday work done on Friday, eh ??

The animal cars that had the wheel problem has been repaired, and the track as well. It
sounded as if a brake was stuck ( ?? ) and ruined two wheels and some track near the
Katella crossing.

The equipment flat cars were taken down the Tustin Branch and shoved as far back as the
57 freeway, almost to that crossing at the access road to the Pond parking lot at Phoenix
Club Drive. Next, the two animal cars that were stored on the Ganahl Lumber spur were
taken back across the diamonds to South Anaheim. Both of these cars suffered some
vandalism in the form of aerosol graffiti while on the runaround track approaching Ganahl
and Diversified. I couldn't decipher any animal rights messages, just picked out a tagger's
name that I have seen on other rolling stock.

I wonder if the Circus has paint and rollers on board ?? Maybe a quick trip to Home
Depot is in order ??

The other two animal cars were picked up from the stub track on the south side of Katella,
then all four animal cars were dropped at South Anaheim, presumably to keep an eye
them and prevent further vandalism. Pity those crew members with their rooms near
these cars. Phew... them animal cars have a very annoying odor.

Some attempt has been made to remove the graffiti, rather unsuccessfully. Hopefully it
can be painted over before rolling out of Anaheim on Monday. Now they not only smell
bad, but they look bad too.

Sounds like the UP Marlboro crew will be on hand at South Anaheim around 3:00pm on Monday to
build the train, about a three hour task. Probably ( possibly ?? ) UP power/BNSF crew to be used to go to San Diego. Then the same power to take the circus on to Reno, Nevada. Last year there was a "who is gonna supply the power" issue, if I remember correctly... It may all happen again.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a quick note-
mow workings spotted at fairview on that little bit of track. a small semi/flatbed with a gondola. They've been working in this area every day or so I've been going thru there to fairview on my way to the fair.

(hey did anyone go to the fair?? didja see a big coach with 'shuttle' on the destination sign? that's me!)

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
There are two sets of power on the Wye at Anaheim from the Saturday and Sunday Hauler. All 5 units are SP...only 1 patched unit.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
I originally thought the Marlboro Local was going to switch the Circus train but it sounds like light power, symboled E-L-A-N-A-N, is going to be heading down the branch sometime this afternoon. As of 1420, it was still out somewhere on the mainline. It will be coordinating moves with the Marlboro so there should be a lot of radio traffic just prior to it's arrival.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Three things. First off, the power for the circus train went through just before 1500. Last year, the circus train was switched by 2 roadswitchers. Today's power was 3 six axle units which leads me to believe the circus train is not going down the Metrolink but staying on the UP for now. That wouldn't make sense but neither does the power that UP sent. Secondly, with the exception of street trackage and a few trouble areas. the OC branches have been upgraded to 20 MPH according to the Anaheim Train Master. Lastly, the wig wag at Lemon Street in not operational. Sadly, If it's in the mechanism, I wonder if the signal maintainers have the ability to fix it.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page