RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Santa Ana Branch (Page 10)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Santa Ana Branch
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lastly, the wig wag at Lemon Street in not operational. Sadly, If it's in the mechanism, I wonder if the signal maintainers have the ability to fix it.[/B]

I'll be really bummed if it's replaced :-(
Hey if they dump it one of us should buy it from 'em hehehe...

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard today's Marlboro local doing it's normal switching chores at around 1400. A few hours later, the scanner fell silent and the local never appeared. I made a quick trip to Anaheim Station where I found the power sitting on the mainline. The crew was talking to a RR Special Agent within the confines of the gated grounds. I had to leave the area but on return at around 2130, I heard the local on the radio switching. It finally returned to Anaheim at 2325 as light power. It was a treat seeing the local make it's way down Santa Ana Street so late in the evening.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometime late Tuesday evening, the Buena Park Local took the power from the Huntington Beach Local, the single SP 7956. This morning, the Costa Mesa Local took it's normal power and headed down the branch at about 0730. Before it got onto the Metrolink, the Huntington Beach crew called saying they needed one of the units off of the Costa Mesa. The Costa Mesa had 15 cars today and after much debate as to whether their train could make it over the "Santa Fe", left the SP 4816 at South Anaheim. The Huntington Beach crew drove to the location and returned to Anaheim on the 4816 at 0825.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Weds Marlboro left Anaheim at 1650 with 24 cars and the repossessed SP 4816 from the Huntington Beach Local. The train didn't return till real late. I don't know how late but it was well after 2200. Today's Costa Mesa Local had to split it's engine consist again with the Huntington Beach Local and left Anaheim at 0625 as light power (UP 1693) and returned long hood forward with 15 cars at 1110. The Anaheim Hauler arrived this morning at about 0545.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marlboro went out today around 2:45 with 10 cars and a single GP15-1. I observed that the wig-wag was back in good working order (took several photos of it in operation). Whatever was wrong with it was apparently minor. Besides its usual moves at Weyerhauser and Ganahl, the local switched a car of plastic pellets into the plant near Cerritos St. and a car of vegetable oil into the plant just of Cerritos at Sunkist.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
More interesting things on the branch. Today's Anaheim Hauler arrived very late between 1230 and 1300. The hauler had it's normal six axle EMDs but also featured 2 old six axle GEs, the 438 and 491. I think they are C30-7s but I'm not exactly sure. I didn't know those units were still around. The hauler delivered 2 roadswitchers (UP 693 and UP patch 1485) and 1 weird looking switcher...maybe an MP15 (UP 1366). There is a rail train laying rail, of all things, between Studebaker and Anaheim. It was seen at Western St at about 1505 with 4 road engines, all UP, headed East, or West by UP timetables. The Marlboro is using the 1693 and SP 4816 today. As of 1535, it is still switching it's cut of cars on the long siding.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Marlboro crept out of Anaheim at about 5 MPH, at 1440. The lead unit was smoking heavily and both units seemed to be working really hard. I soon found out why. A 59 car Marlboro Local! The longest Marlboro I've seen previously has been 53 cars. I wonder how late the local is going to be out tonight.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
A seven car work train backed down Santa Ana St. today at 0920. SP baywindow caboose, 6 gondolas and the semi-truck hi-rail thingy. Wish they would use real power on this train...it would be more dramatic!
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UP GEs on the hauler look real beatup. The 491 has no number in the number boards. The UP may be short of power and getting conjested. A UP Engineer at the swap meet last week said that he noted more problems lately.
Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Today's Costa Mesa seemed more like a road freight. It was led by UP patch 1485, GP60, UP 1366, switcher, and UP 438 and 493, the six axle GEs that the Friday Hauler brought in. Four units, 15 cars. I'm hoping Jeff finds out what's up with the GEs.

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

regarding the GE units...

they are parked on the interchange track (near the St. College crossing) with the grey hopper that has been there for a week or two or myabe longer...

they both appear to be destined for the scrap yard... minus number boards, some doors, controls, lights, etc, but they both still have plenty of rust and peeling paint.

rather photogenic in my eyes.

assumed that both will become razor blades in the near future...

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Today's Marlboro Local ran with another dead GE C30-7. This C30 looked pretty intact, just very faded. It left Anaheim at 1610 with 18 cars.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too saw the Marlboro with the aforementioned C30-7 (470) and photographed it at Cerritos St. There is a huge number of cars all over the branch stashed in just about every siding - apparently the remnants of that monster train from the day before. There were 26 boxcars in South Anaheim before the Marlboro arrived, and it dropped 16 more boxcars along with the C30-7. These cars were in addition to those that it ran down the street with and appear to be the empties from Weyerhauser. There were also cuts of cars near the end of the branch in Orange, and lumber cars sitting on the passing siding at South Anaheim. Looks like the Marlboro crew will have a busy time switching for the next few days. Look for long returning trains. Power for today's local was UP 1485, a patched GP40-2, and UP 1366, an MP15DC.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Follow the link below to a photo of the two dead units that were at CP College this morning. I drove by at dusk tonight, but both are gone now. I might have seen UP 470 in the distance on the interchange track with a hopper near the diamonds ( ?? )
http://www.yayax.com/gateway/up491-up438-dead-1181-c75.jpg

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The GE units that were at the UP-BNSF interchange at CP College was probably move to Adams Steel's scrap yard by the First La Mirada Roadswitcher. The RS works the Olive Subdivision during the late morning Monday-Friday. The scrap yard is located long the SR-91 freeway and the Olive Sub and they have scrapped a few other units.
Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Santa Ana Branch Fans:

Another ribbon rail train is in Anaheim. It is tied down at South Anaheim on the storage track. UP 4605 is on the point with CP 5773 trailing.

That is not a typo; Canadian Pacific 5773, an SD40-2 flag unit. Very cool catch if I say so myself. Additional markings on the cab are: DRF-30P. Any ideas on these markings ??

I hope that Brian was able to get some video of the street running.

~ ~ ~

Here's a few of my catches from this afternoon...
http://www.yayax.com/gateway/cp5773-anh-1223-c75.jpg
http://www.yayax.com/gateway/cp5773-anh-1320-c75.jpg
http://www.yayax.com/gateway/up4605-anh-1323-c75.jpg
http://www.yayax.com/gateway/up4605-anh-1308-c75.jpg
http://www.yayax.com/gateway/cp5773-anh-1227-c75.jpg

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I headed down to Anaheim Station this evening with my three boys to see the Anaheim Hauler's departure. The conductor was very friendly and came up to us to chat about his train. Tonight's Hauler is going to be over 9000 feet long when it leaves Los Nietos...156 cars. The conductor went on to say that there have been big problems in West Colton. There hasn't been enough room to hold all the trains as of late and things are getting real congested. That would probably partially account for the weird arrival times in Anaheim over the past few weeks. It's always nice to hear that so much traffic is still being generated in OC.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

The ribbon rail train just passed my office near MP 511 at 9:38am, heading towards the street running on Olive and Santa Ana Street.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
While loading up my car in my front yard and hooking up the watercraft for a fun filled weekend, the Costa Mesa Local returned to Anaheim down Santa Ana Street much to the groups delight. It went out at just after 0500 this morning so I kind of expected an early return. What I didn't expect was the return of the rail train. A few minutes after the Costa Mesa went by, my Goddaughter started jumping up and down saying another train was coming. I didn't pay her any attention until my oldest son confirmed her suspicions. I was able to set up my video camera and snap a few stills but the sun was terrible. If Jeff were here, I'm sure his shots would have come out just fine. My video camera's view finder is not working so I'm blindly aiming my camera in the general direction of the oncoming train. We'll see if it turns out. The train was the same that Jeff had photographed and posted the other day. Nice seeing road power, especially the CP SD40-2 on this branch. I do believe the entire Tustin and Costa Mesa Branches are completely finished or about to be finished. It may be another half century before we see a train like this again. On a side note, those UP C30s that were at CP College in fact were taken to that scrap yard off of the Olive Sub Main and the 91 Freeway.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Too bad I missed all this interesting stuff happening. I've been sick for the past couple of days so my plans to go out were scuttled. Now I will be leaving for Berkeley tomorrow so I won't see the Branch for quite a while =( Keep taking photos and sending them to me.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
On August 6th, I captured the Marlboro job pulling out several boxcars from the spur that serves (served ??) the O.C. Register's facility on Lewis Street in Anaheim. This was the first time I have noticed railcars on this spur in the last 2-3 years. I didn't even know that the spur was live.

Typically, the boxes filled with newsprint are dropped on the southern most spur that is closest to the Katella crossing, at Hobb's Trucking..

Here's the image of the Marlboro crew on the ground. http://www.yayax.com/gateway/switchlist-anh-0981-c75.jpg

~ ~ ~

And the Marlboro shoving into Hobbs:

http://www.yayax.com/gateway/up1693-hobbs-0969-c75.jpg

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

[This message has been edited by dash-al (edited 08-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by dash-al (edited 08-18-2003).]

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re:On a side note, those UP C30s that were at CP College in fact were taken to that scrap yard off of the Olive Sub Main and the 91 Freeway.<

We went over to that junkyard, and thru the fence we saw a BN C30-7 and a sad BNhigh nose hood-less GP9, #1618.
There's also a blue & yellow engine there, I wondered if that's the junkyard's engine to move stuff around there.

Couldn't see any UP C30s though.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda makes one wonder if the GEs got cut up already or wandered off in another direction? Maybe when BNSF picked them up they ran better than their own locos and they made a little impomptu swap.
BTW I havn't been by Adams in years so wouldn't have a clue what they're using to switch now. At one time a contractor used a switcher there (Pacific Rail Services?) but later that arrangement was superceded by Adams bringing in a trackmobile that they ran themselves.

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
No Anaheim Hauler or Marlboro Local today (Thursday).
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"wouldn't have a clue what they're using to switch now. At one time a contractor used a switcher there (Pacific Rail Services?) but later that arrangement was superceded by Adams bringing in a trackmobile that they ran themselves."

come to think of it, i think that was a Pacific Rail Services engine. :-) buuut i could be wrong.

Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
I saw one of the GEs at the east end of the yard at Adams Steel on Thursday. I saw it from across the river.
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
I went tooling around Santa Ana St practicing 10sp in my gorgeous Crown schoolbus(the ones that looks like big twinkies) , I saw one yellow beast @ the Y and then going around the curve at Olive I noticed a derail & flags...and way down at Ball Rd they had MOW workers out there.
Over near the Block, (not sure what that area is where they store boxes) I saw at least 2 of the switchers sitting. and they were working along the 5 around 2-3ish.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The UP track gang with their parade of equipment went down Santa Ana Street towards Anaheim Station just before 0900 this Sunday morning. All the grade crossing signals from Citron to Anaheim Station have been out of service since last Thursday.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The rail gang just left Anaheim Station going back towards South Anaheim. First piece of MOW equipment went by at 1618, the last piece of MOW equipment went by at 1635.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Costa Mesa Local went out this morining at 0740 with 1095/1693/SP 9207 and 18 cars. The SP 9207 (SD45T-2?) was dead in consist and I assume is also on its way to the scrap yard like the C-30s.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gads, I wish the La Habra Childrens Museum could snag one of tese retired locos to augment its static rolling stock collection.
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Costa Mesa Local power left the engine spur just before 0800 today, did some switching on the Long Siding and Extension but never took it's train down the branch. Marlboro ran normally today.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Brian...

Did you note the power for the Marlboro ??

The typical power duo of 1693 and 1095 were on the engine track yesterday afternoon.

Just curious....

~ ~ ~

Also to note... Mark has a photo of Anaheim street running in a photo contest at railroadforums.com. User voting will be the first ten days of September.
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8880

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

[This message has been edited by dash-al (edited 08-30-2003).]

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Hey Jeff, the Marlboro ran with it's typical power on Thursday but ran with the Huntington Beach's power on Friday, the patch 1485 and UP 1366. The 1485 is labeled as a GP40-2 but it sure looks like a GP60 to me. No Labor Day trains today.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Costa Mesa never returned back to Anaheim on Friday. Don't know if it went dead on the law or ran out of fuel or what the deal was. It returned to Anaheim this morning at 0730. I was hoping it would go out again and make it's typical Monday round trip but it just tied up at Anaheim Depot.
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
The Costa Mesa not returning on Friday explains the fact that one one local set of ppower was at Anaheim on Sunday. The were two hauler sets, a 3 unit and a two unit.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

Looks like the welded rail project is nearing completion between South Anaheim and West Anaheim. Still some m-o-w equipment on the spurs that are visible looking south from the Ball Road crossing. All that is left is for Olive and Santa Ana Street to have concrete panel tracks installed.

I wonder about the flagmen standing all day in the sun and the heat. Are these m-o-w employees or otherwise ??? They don't look like stereotypical m-o-w workers.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The rail gang has been working on laying rail on the long siding and the extension. Who would have ever dreamed that a siding on a branch would ever have such an upgrade! What a project Santa Ana and Olive Streets will be. I'm hoping that project is going to be put off for awhile as I'm sure that will spell the demise of the wig wag. As bumpy and chewed up as the asphalt gets around and between the street trackage, I really don't like the look of the concrete panels. Since Anaheim is going to put forth so much money into the historic redevelopment of the downtown area, it would be nice it they just accepted this rail line through this part of the city and incorporated some type of look and feel that would make it blend in with the project such as perhaps cobblestone! Just a far fetched dream. By the way, the flagmen are not UP MOW workers. They are basically minimum wage, non union workers from a private company. At least the ones I spoke with were.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Saturday Activity! At 0745 the Hi-rail truck thingy drove by with 3 gondolas and an SP baywindow with am intact but non functioning roof mounted marker light. Am I the only one who has a problem with a truck pulling a train? By the way, no Hauler yesterday. The "long siding" is pretty full of MOW equipment and I'm wondering if there is no place to deposit the train. If that is the case, wouldn't be nice to see the Hauler go all the way to South Anaheim like it used to?
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
When the long siding gets full, I have seen them leave cars for a time on the Huntington Beach Branch. There are also a couple of long sidings in Buena Park that they could drop cars at, and in fact there used to be another Hauler train specifically for that purpose. Then again, I suppose that is also the reason why the Marlboro occasionally gets up to 50 or 60 cars.

BTW...who's gonna put up the 400th post =)??

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page