RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Santa Ana Branch (Page 6)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Santa Ana Branch
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dash-al (aka Jeff), your photos are excellent. So you did get one of the DRGW T-motor after all. I haven't seen one of those myself in ages. There are very few remaining in DRGW paint, and that one looked to be in pretty good shape. The grayscale certainly does a good job of minimizing the UP reporting marks.

I also like the one of UP 5256 on Santa Ana St. That's an ex-DRGW unit too, by the way. GP40-2's aren't a very common sight on the street trackage.

Oh, and BTW...this IS the 200th post!!! It's quite amazing that this thread has lasted so long. It's huge by the standards of ANY forum. Santa Ana St. certainly has a dedicated following!

By the by...does anyone have any idea how to post photos to THIS message board? I've seen it a couple of times, but can't figure out how to do it.

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking cut-and-paste should work. If not, it's fairly simple to use HTML coding to refer to an image without having to type the image data in by hand.

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Ok, I finally figured it out. Took a while, though. You have to put the link in for the entire website for the thing to show up. I thought this thread could use a few "examples" since no one's actually posted any photos yet. You can find more of the same at http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/socalrailfan/index.html

[This message has been edited by atsf3751 (edited 02-03-2003).]

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cthetrains
Member # 2148

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cthetrains     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice angles for those pics..

I saw a couple of those units go through here a few days ago, with a cabless in the middle.(unfortunately, no camera).

------------------
Cory (o:}=

Posts: 140 | From: Kirksville, Mo | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing super newsworthy, but the Costa Mesa Local left this morning at 810 with 25 cars. Haven't seen a Costa Mesa with that many cars in a long time. Also, the VCY boxcars for the LA Times Plant are usually blocked together. This morning, they were dispersed throughout the train. No Sunday Huntington Beach or Marlboro Locals this past weekend. It's been a long while since either have run on a Sunday.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
same here nothing interesting
last week i got lucky and had to drive a group to Ocean View High which is a block from a crossing..lo and behold, the HB local...so i quickly dumped off the kids, parked the coach and hung around the crossing and waited for them to get done at the end of thetrack...whatever they were doing down there. Gotta couple ok shots.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Regarding the HB local, UP is installing a new connection down in Paramount where the HB local currently delivers oil to a refinery there several times a week. This would greatly shorten the length of the run required to reach the refinery, but would eliminate about 1/2 of the HB local's duties and may cause the part of the line that runs between Stanton and Paramount to be mothballed or abandoned.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The probable demise of the old P.E. diagonal is more than "may", as discussed in whole seperate thread on this board on that subject.Also note Paramount thread on Trainorders.com

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 02-13-2003).]

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. After more than 200 posts, maybe you guys should think about starting santa-ana.com -- not on Angelfire, obviously!
- - - The Chief

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After about a month of status quo on this branch, Friday brought about an interesting change. A single GP38-2 UP 2417 showed up on the Costa Mesa/Marlboro Local. Then today (Saturday) on a day that the Anaheim Hauler normally doesn't run, two Haulers loaded up the sidings with cars. I wasn't around today but when I drove past Anaheim Station, at around 6:45 p.m. there were cuts of cars on both the Huntington Beach branch and the Santa Ana branch between the east and west legs of the why which tells me both the Huntington Beach and Marlboro locals ran today. I've never ever heard of them running on a Saturday. Hope this means they will be running tomorrow also.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the many hollywood uses of SARTC has been as a dummy Salinas depot in "Memoirs of Invisible Man" starring Chevy Chase and Daryl Hannah. I just watched them boarding an Amcan with compartment(ha!) headed for San Diego(in attempt to evade their pursuers--at least the 1992 producers identified the actual depot with the actual route even if falsley naming it for the SJV town). Nice to see them running around the OCRHS clubhouse.(BTW, this movie ran this morning in the SF Bay Area but you OC folks might spot it down there sometime, too.
Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before leaving for Yosemite a week ago, I grabbed a few images of the Anaheim street running on Santa Ana Avenue. You can see the images through the following link:
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5647

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Nice Work, Jeff, as always. I saw a couple b&w views of the curve at the west end of S.A. Street(vicinity of your second shot)at the county courthouse once back before the fwy and attendent overopasses. The land was apple orchard and the photos had been pulled from court files just prior to destruction due to possible historical value. I never learned of the legal question for which the old pix had been made but I assume it had to do with a train encounter where the track entered the street there. Glad you're back--check your e-mail.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 02-23-2003).]

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
I noticed both the Whittier threads got dropped from this board..too bad they couldn't have simply been added to this thread to preserve all the O.C. related info in one place(like six pages isn't long enough already?) Dunno if those other threads expired on an automatic timeclock or were manually stricken by webmaster or original sponsors, but presume any additional thoughts or observations about Fullerton, Brea, etc., will come here instead?
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three unpatched SP SD40's are at the wye today, lead by SP 8615.

One of the gates & flashers was taken out by an automobile (assumed) on Broadway at the wye. This was on the leg(s) heading towards Stanton. The crew was there around noon today hoisting the replacement apparatus in place.

Also to note, UP 1367, an MP15 is now on duty on the HB/Paramount local. I don't recall seeing this switcher here before.

The Marlboro local just passed my office window. UP 2417 (GP38-3) and UP 1579 (GP15) leading the way. I was not able to count the cars, but it seemed about twice as long as normal. One odd load for this local, a bulkhead flat car with re-bar, most likely destined for the Weyerhauser yard that generally recieves lumber and other building materials.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

[This message has been edited by dash-al (edited 02-27-2003).]

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today's Marlboro mishaps! The Marlboro local clipped a vehicle at East St today. Minor damage to vehicle and no injuries. The lead unit, UP 1095 (SW1500) sustained no damage that I could tell. Impact was just behind the left pilot on the steps. The local did, however, tie up traffic for about 35 minutes on Santa Ana St while submitting their report to APD. Shortly after leaving the scene and arriving to their first spot, I heard the crew over the radio stating that the UP 1095 would not go into reverse. Major problem for a switch engine I would imagine!
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Sounds more like a CAR clipped the Marlboro, not the other way around! Sounds like the result of a careless driver. You can see the train coming for quite a distance, and thus it shouldn't be too much of a problem to stay out of its way!
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
It looks like the vehicle was trying to make a left turn on to East St from Santa Ana going west and probably froze in the turn pocket when the train came around the bend on to the street trackage. Regardless, the locals always tiptoe down Santa Ana St affording the driver plenty of time to get out of the way.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

East Street ??

I don't think that East Street crosses the UP (maybe West ??).

I have post some photos of the power in and around OC at:
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5850

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops! That's correct, it was West St not East.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Dash-al, I saw your photos of UP 1367. It sure is a very unusual looking MP15. I wonder what kind of rebuild job it's undergone. The lettering is different than from most UP units - looks like a scheme from a number of years ago.
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Chief:
Wow. After more than 200 posts, maybe you guys should think about starting santa-ana.com -- not on Angelfire, obviously!
- - - The Chief

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/socalrail/

[This message has been edited by coach34135 (edited 03-06-2003).]

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I finally caught a Marlboro today after not being able to go down there for longer than I'd prefer to remember. There was a healthy assortment of cars (18) including another flat car of rebar and multiple lumber and chemical loads. The power was 2 GP38-2's - 2417 was leading, didn't catch the other one. Both were very clean - no graffitti at all. Also, in Anaheim yard, there were four road units in the wye including two tunnel motors. One was a UP repaint but the other was an unrenumbered SP with the older style lettering.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The road power from the Anaheim Hauler that you observed today didn't arrive into Anaheim until almost noon. Since the Hauler usually arrives at 3 or 4 in the morning, it was nice to get some day time video of it arriving today. The Costa Mesa Local only had four cars today, probably because the Hauler had not arrived yet. Tomorrow morning might bring a lengthy Costa Mesa!
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
I wonder if it was the A.Hauler that I saw at DT Jct. from my early Surfliner yesterday then on my way to an L.A. connection with Starlate back to Bay Area. Several SP units were waiting some distance north of the diamond with a long manifest.
I assumed the Hauler was long home and put to bed, so didn't bother trying to squeeze a shot out the window--whuddathunk, but if so it rounded out a nice sojourn back to O.C., including a skimpy overpowered Costa Mesa Daylight slipping thru SARTC between Metrolinks while awaiting my referenced Surfliner.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 03-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 03-07-2003).]

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Yep Steve, I bet that was the Ana Hauler you saw in a rare daylight appearance. Sorry I missed you this trip. Today's Marlboro Switcher left Anaheim at 1455 with a whopping 45 cars. In a rare move, it dropped off a center beam lumber car off on the main track at the lumber yard at Olive and Santa Ana. I assume it will spot the car on the spur on it's return trip.
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by bsme25:
Yep Steve, I bet that was the Ana Hauler you saw in a rare daylight appearance. Sorry I missed you this trip. Today's Marlboro Switcher left Anaheim at 1455 with a whopping 45 cars. In a rare move, it dropped off a center beam lumber car off on the main track at the lumber yard at Olive and Santa Ana. I assume it will spot the car on the spur on it's return trip.

I too saw the Hauler this AM, I noticed a pair of road engines heading in as I was going 5 north in my bus. For once I wish I wasnt in the bus!

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Bri, By "dropped off", I presume you mean left behind rather than dropped onto ties a la your video?
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

yeah, left behind.

I drove past just after 4:30pm and it was still there. Right at the spot of the derail on the video.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Hey they said just now(7am today) on the news there was a UP derailment in Carson in the middle of the night, was that the Anaheim Hauler? Or does it even go thru Carson? hehe

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
hehe? heck no. more likely candidate would be Harbor Hauler, which nonetheless could use old S.A. Branch between Studebaker and Firestone(one option) and thereby be(barely) on-topic.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

This morning (3-12-2003), the CM job is doing some of the switching for the Marlboro at the Weyerhauser plant. Boxcars appear to be backing up at South Anaheim and on the sidings along the 5 freeway.

Power is UP 2417 and UP 1693.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Car counts alone along the I-5 can be decieving, although I used to watch them, too. There are two sequential storage tracks with one typically used to recieve the incoming Hauler cars and the other to accumulate outgoing cars. The two used to be seperated by a trestle over Carbon Creek where it emptied into Crescent Basin, but I believe that has been reduced to a mere culvert with fills on both sides.
After reviewing Dave Crammer's 1995 article about operations of the Huntington Beach Local(which encompassed all the branches radiating out of Stanton) in "SP Rails--Motive Power Finale", I am reminded that of the two I-5 sidings mentioned above, the westernmost one was called "Long Pass" and the other or more eastern one "Extension" Even after the SPINS program redesignated them as north and south storage tracks, scanner observation between Hauler and yard office would typically reveal instructions like "train to the Pass, power to the wye".

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 03-14-2003).]

dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member

The many boxes have been shuttled over to South Anaheim. As of this morning, there were about 30-35 boxcars on the two storage tracks.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the days of multiple haulers, the SP would run some of the haulers to South Anaheim via the streets.

Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
In Rails Through The Orange Groves, there is a photo of a Hauler going down Olive St during the day. Wish that was still the operating norm. Speaking of multiple haulers, there appears to have been two early this morning. There are two sets of hauler power on the east leg of the Ana wye today. The sidings must have been loaded up because one of the haulers left its cut of cars on the Huntington Beach branch. Didn't see the outbound Costa Mesa Local today. As of 0730, it still hadn't left Anaheim and I had to get the kids off to school.
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Regarding the boxcar shuttling, I'll bet that's how the Marlboro and CM locals sometimes end up with 50+ cars. They probably dump most of them off at South Anaheim when they run out of space over at Anaheim Yard.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Costa Mesa Local returned to Anaheim at 1245 as light power. Roadswitchers 1693 and 2417 (GP15-1 and GP38-3)
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Re the multiple Hauler power sets reported on scene on Paddy's Day. I wonder if that suggests some cars are still coming in from Dolores on a seperate train, or maybe one set was just left over from the weekend?
Or how's this for a fantasy story: the cars left on the Stanton Branch were dragged in via the new Paramount connection rather than shoved back from the wye!

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 03-18-2003).]

Paul Jansson
Member # 1388

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Jansson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those interested in such things, there is an MKT gondola in relatively good condition sitting along I-5 just north of Euclid. The herald on both sides is relatively unscathed, obviously it has not spent much time in SoCal. It is the northernmost car in a long cut. As of about 1:00pm.
Posts: 26 | From: La Mirada, CA USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page