RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A very

Author Topic: A very
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
healthy,happy and peaceful new year to all. May we have many interesting topics to discuss this coming year
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year to you, to, train lady. I hope everyone has a great (and SAFE) evening. Please don't drink and drive.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"CHEERS" everyone.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And cheers to all here. This a great evening to stay home and avoid those getting on the freeway going in the wrong direction.

It is too late for this tonight but it works on any night. Drunk drivers tend to be overly cautious. They tend to hang in the right lane. If they are going the wrong way on a freeway then their right lane is really the left lane. So if driving late at night avoid the left lane.

And cheers to all.

Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, you would have been proud of me. I neither drank nor drove and was asleep by 8 p.m. Of course, I had some help -- still recovering from a total knee replacement.

Happy 2012 to all, and may we all ride the rails early and often.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch, Henry! I have heard that this is a fairly uncomfortable recovery. I hope you are back on your feet and healed quickly.

Happy New Year!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry--

Good wishes for a speedy recovery! Remember to do everything that the physical therapists tell you to do.

All--

Best for a Happy and Healthy 2012!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And all the very best for 2012 from all of us across the pond!
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm afraid that the new year did not start well for me. I don't want to hijack the thread, but it involves an old dog and the last visit to the vet.

Hope your start to the year was happier.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I'm sorry to hear that, Eric. I have a friend who just had the same thing happen over the holidays. Our pets our are family, and when we lose one, it's pretty terrible. I hope you're doing okay. There is a good book about a guy who lost his dog. It's called, "Rescuing Sprite" by Mark Levin. He almost quit his job and went into seclusion over it, but he's doing better now. Time is a good healer.
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear of your loss, Eric. The upside of pets is the unconditional love and loyalty they show us, while the downside is the indisputable fact that we almost always outlive them.

Read John Grogan's "Marley and Me" if you haven't already or see the movie, now three years old already. Pay attention to the Theodore Shapiro score or, better yet, just get the soundtrack recording.

Here's the most emotional cut on it, "It All Runs Together," played during the most tearjerking scene in the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZXwkO43UEk

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sympathies on your loss, Eric.--Sojourner
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sympathies, Eric. Last summer I lost Hogan, the half-Lab who was my best friend for 11 years, and the hole in my heart is still deep and wide. It will mend, as will yours, but the process takes quite a while.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry Eric. We lost 2 of our beloved dogs and still miss them. they really are a member of the family.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just catching up on the past months posts and saw yours, Eric. The poem below is something I wrote for a friend some 10-12 years ago when he lost his long time companion. Hope this piece brings you some comfort.

Ira

Navigation Aide
(for Vincent Harding in memory of Nayah)

I do not know just where we go when we leave this mortal realm,
I’m not certain of the seas I’ll sail, or who’ll be at the helm;
But I do believe that at my side, in calm or storm or fog,
Will be this critter I have loved and for whom I now grieve: my dog.

I may spend eternal summers beside a babbling brook,
I may get to be heaven’s librarian in a room with favorite books,
Perhaps I’ll be with family settled on some distant, peaceful shore,
But best of all - I’ll see my critter, and get to nuzzle her once more.

I’ll feel her beloved cold wet nose; I’ll hear that plaintiff bark
And be glad that there were dogs among the animals on the ark;
‘Cause I would not have lived as well, nor heard one of life’s sweetest songs
Had I not had the sounds of my dog around me for so long.

In days to come I’ll hear her pant, or sense her standing by my side,
And though physically she’ll not be there, she’ll always be my trusted guide;
Eventually I won’t hurt as much -- painful sorrow and mourning end --
Yet I’ll always cherish memories of my companion and my friend.

I do not know just where we go when we leave this mortal realm,
I’m not certain of the seas I’ll sail, or who’ll be at the helm;
But I do believe that at my side in calm, or storm, or fog,
Will be this critter I have loved and for whom I now grieve: my dog.

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Beautiful, Ira. Just beautiful.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I had to go give my dog, Tallulah, a hug after reading that poem.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page